Want to load 8.1 without "all" of 8's morphs? minitut

Yesterday I discovered how to load 8.1 without "all" of 8's morphs. If I want to load a G8 character, I'm quite happy to load G8. So with 8.1 we have a new base figure and while yes it can use 'all' of G8's morphs, we all know that this increases the load time and weighs on the scene. It is SO easy to load G8.1 without "all" of G8's morphs. The character morphs one has purchased for G8.1 will still load.

The secret is in a file called:  DAZAddonPath.dsf

There is one for the male and another for the female.

The path is: data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Add-ons\Daz 3D\Base  for the Female

Right-click on the DAZAddonPath.dsf file and zip it. This is to have it as backup as well to be able to revert the changes if/when you do want "all" of G8's morphs to load with G8.1.

Then open the file with the text editor and find:

"folders" : [
"data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs",
 "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/UV Sets"
]

Simply delete the ONE line " "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs", "

Save the file.
Open D/S and load G8.1 :-)

G8.1 now loads very quickly, wears G8's clothing and hair :-)

Disclaimer: I think this is simple however IF you do not understand or are concerned about editing files, then do not. You are responsible for your computer, not me.

Do NOT change anything else, i.e. leave the call the uv sets. After all, you do want those ;-)

Loads very quickly.png
1000 x 1000 - 1010K
Angel Glamor Hair blonde.png
1000 x 1000 - 1M

Comments

• I guess my sillly question is why doesn't the DAZ guru's not have an option in 8.1 to load or unload the 8.0 morph if this is a known loading issue?

They are aware of this, right?

• Most people want access to their full morph library. The main adjustment people have been maming has been to enable the loading of the Genesis 8 expressions. it is, however, useful to have the route to the opposite described for those who will find it useful.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687

Richard Haseltine said:

Most people want access to their full morph library. The main adjustment people have been maming has been to enable the loading of the Genesis 8 expressions. it is, however, useful to have the route to the opposite described for those who will find it useful.

So what do we doctor to allow Genesis 8.1 to load expressions for the original Genesis 8?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,543

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

• JackyBrownJackyBrown Posts: 579

When I load a (new, default) Genesis 8.1 figure none of the Genesis 8.0 morphs show up, which is really unwanted. What could be the issue that causes that? (I actually thought it was supposed to be like that, but here I learned differently.)

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,019

JackyBrown said:

When I load a (new, default) Genesis 8.1 figure none of the Genesis 8.0 morphs show up, which is really unwanted. What could be the issue that causes that? (I actually thought it was supposed to be like that, but here I learned differently.)

One needs to be using the latest release of Daz Studio - and possibly reinstall the Genesis 8 Starter package.

• JackyBrownJackyBrown Posts: 579
    edited June 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

JackyBrown said:

One needs to be using the latest release of Daz Studio - and possibly reinstall the Genesis 8 Starter package.

Hi @Catherine3678ab, thank you so much for your quick answer! I thought I was smart by just reinstalling the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials... ;) I remember that with the Victoria 4 and Michael 4 figures you can choose which morph packages you want to load or not, that was very handy. 

Post edited by JackyBrown on

Yes that was a handy feature, however it is MUCH easier to make clothing and morphs for the Genesis clans ;-)

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556

Catherine3678ab said:

Yesterday I discovered how to load 8.1 without "all" of 8's morphs. If I want to load a G8 character, I'm quite happy to load G8. So with 8.1 we have a new base figure and while yes it can use 'all' of G8's morphs, we all know that this increases the load time and weighs on the scene. It is SO easy to load G8.1 without "all" of G8's morphs. The character morphs one has purchased for G8.1 will still load.

The path is: data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Add-ons\Daz 3D\Base  for the Female

Right-click on the DAZAddonPath.dsf file and zip it. This is to have it as backup as well to be able to revert the changes if/when you do want "all" of G8's morphs to load with G8.1.

]

Save the file.

Disclaimer: I think this is simple however IF you do not understand or are concerned about editing files, then do not. You are responsible for your computer, not me.

Do NOT change anything else, i.e. leave the call the uv sets. After all, you do want those ;-)

So Is possible to create FAV Morphs folder and change the location`s text  like this  "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/FAVMorphs"  ?

juvesatriani said:

Catherine3678ab said:

]

Save the file.

So Is possible to create FAV Morphs folder and change the location`s text  like this  "data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/FAVMorphs"  ?

Nooooo! I don't think so. I think that will mess up the works with them not working and others looking for them to not be finding them.

What you can do, for those 1 or 2 special morphs you want from 8 over to 8.1 is to copy them in the morphs folder for 8.1 :-) This I have done successfully. Keep the same folder structure!

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556

Catherine3678ab said:

juvesatriani said:

Catherine3678ab said:

]

Save the file.

Nooooo! I don't think so. I think that will mess up the works with them not working and others looking for them to not be finding them.

What you can do, for those 1 or 2 special morphs you want from 8 over to 8.1 is to copy them in the morphs folder for 8.1 :-) This I have done successfully. Keep the same folder structure!

This my addon setup and its work

"data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/CheckerToo",

"data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/shinteo5",

]

yes Okay :-)

juvesatriani said:

Catherine3678ab said:

juvesatriani said:

This my addon setup and its work

"data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/CheckerToo",

"data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 8/Female/Morphs/shinteo5",

]

That works because you haven't changed the original paths of the morphs like in your example "Favmorphs"

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,596

I have not used Daz studio in about a year. Have been using Blender and working with its shader engine. I find load time in Daz studio to be clunky and time consuming. The overload of morphs and things behind the scenes has made useing Daz Studio painfull so I have stopped using it and recommend Blender bridge and save your assets for Blender use. Daz studio desperatly needs some scripts to strip out everything you are not going to use in your scene and not have it clog the program with too much stuff.   ~my 2 cents

edited July 2021

One may desire some morphs of G8's to be available for G8.1. And yes I've messed my folders a number of times lol ... but one can simply copy over some morphs from 8's basket to 8.1's basket. Notably the ones made by Daz3D as they have all kinds of correctives and things like that, also any purchased or free clothing clones, etc.

It's fun loading the scene in D/S ... it's fun watching it render ... it is NOT fun trying to do anything in Blender. My 2 cents, plus $1.50.

There are some products and/or tutorials to help one optimize their scenes such as this one: https://www.daz3d.com/scene-optimizer and this one: https://www.daz3d.com/optimize-render-engine-and-scene-optimizations-tutorial  I own neither of those [yet] but many find them useful.

I find turning down ridiculous SudD's of 4 and 5 to 1 or 2; zapping the normals, etc. works just fine.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

My big hope is that Daz5 will have something... some system upgrade to help reduce Load Times and thus, the penalty put on folks that buy a lot of Morphs/Character assets. 

Fingers crossed.

Chumly said:

My big hope is that Daz5 will have something... some system upgrade to help reduce Load Times and thus, the penalty put on folks that buy a lot of Morphs/Character assets. 

Fingers crossed.

Me too :-) 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Richard Haseltine said:

Most people want access to their full morph library. The main adjustment people have been maming has been to enable the loading of the Genesis 8 expressions. it is, however, useful to have the route to the opposite described for those who will find it useful.

this may sound flip, but it's not intended such.

Do most users really want access to their full morph library all the time? Really?, or is this prevailing logic simply 'self evident' and yet completely incorrect?

I believe it's context dependent: I build and then I use - separate modes.

When I "build", I want it all, and the speed costs of my entire resource-base are to be expected. Once built, I isolate the completed figures into dedicated runtimes and then I "use". Otherwise I'm waiting for 98% of stuff that's not relevant to my current scenes, which is an expensive and frustrating waste of resources and time.

Some viseme and expressions are kind of a grey-area hybrid when animating since they augment the base figure, but the overall premise is sound, and the additional resources are relatively minimal.

Given the numbers of tools created for, and the repeating commentary on this issue, I question the self-evident nature of the base assertion and the DS development paradigm that has driven this software package for years.

To wit, I have at least 6 distinct dedicated runtime/libraries designed to optimize the usage of my project's figures: minimal, daz-O-only, animation, per-figure, and figure building. It took time to build/manage/maintain, but It works for me, and I only do it because I have to, in order to save time.

In this model, no more than 5% of my total DS usage time involved having all of my morphs available. My typical animation session includes 10-20% of my morph collection at most. Fast/Functional.

As others have indicated, perhaps this idea will gain a footing in the next DS iteration. Hopefully the devs will hear the users on this - even if only available on an advanced tab.

It's obvious that my efforts are wholly impractical for most casual still-image generating DS users, but the assumption that "having it all at your fingertips at all times" is equally questionable - at least to my thinking.

feedback encouraged,

--ms

mindsong said:

I believe it's context dependent: I build and then I use - separate modes.

When I "build", I want it all, and the speed costs of my entire resource-base are to be expected. Once built, I isolate the completed figures into dedicated runtimes and then I "use". Otherwise I'm waiting for 98% of stuff that's not relevant to my current scenes, which is an expensive and frustrating waste of resources and time.

That just about sums it up... Once you are happy with the characters, you don't need the geometry changing morphs that you didn't use, anymore.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,103
    I do agree. I spend a bit of time creating the character, clothing etc, and then save as a Scene Subset. This then becomes the character to drop into a scene and pose. The clothing is usually the only thing that changes at that stage to match the mood. The character is complete and unlikely to get charged.
    edited July 2021

Actually I like to have access to all the morphs at times but wish they could be loaded into the figure "as called for" ... then the figure could load quickly and be changed also quickly enough because loading 2 or 3 morphs [main morph and adjusting morphs] shouldn't take too long.

As an option I might add.

• vonkomicavonkomica Posts: 20

Genesis8_1Female.obj = 2.7MB. Typical morphs are about 100K, and a full body morph cannot exceed 2.7MB. The G81Female Dev Load kicks up just as fast with ALL of the thousands of morphs I've collected through this forum as it does without. This is on an a4-5050 (1.5 ghz) with 4G ram, emulating through wine...

Loadtime slowdowns are 100% textures and proceccing thereof (layered images)... A simple reduction of texture sizes will load you up faster than splitting up the runtimes.

Many have over 10Gs of morphs for G8. Their load times are over 10 min. They have monster-sized computers.

edited July 2021

Just for fun, loaded each and here are a few stats from my collection.

8.1 with very few characters
    2021-07-20 13:20:38.384 Finished Loading Character Addons
    2021-07-20 13:20:38.399 File loaded in 0 min 24.9 sec.
    2021-07-20 13:20:38.399 Loaded file: Genesis 8.1 Basic Female.duf

8 with all her characters [that I have]
    2021-07-20 13:18:36.412 Finished Loading Character Addons
    2021-07-20 13:18:36.516 File loaded in 1 min 18.3 sec.
    2021-07-20 13:18:36.516 Loaded file: Genesis 8 Basic Female.duf

By the way your sizing of morphs is way off. "One" of the HD morphs alone is over 28 mb.

OK, I'm intrigued by this. I just have to see for myself...
    This content is loading off a usb2 thumb-drive on a dog of a computer. 

With everything "essentials" + my DAZ cloud (a laughable, I'll admit) 24 pages long in the product library listing + freebies from the forums, shrecg and rendo for 3+ years Including yours (If I have not said it yet, "Thank you so much!")
    2021-07-20 22:05:39.028 *** Scene Cleared ***
    2021-07-20 22:06:04.892 *** Scene Cleared ***
    2021-07-20 22:07:22.110 File loaded in 1 min 17.5 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:07:22.127 Loaded file: genesis 8.1 female dev load.duf
    2021-07-20 22:07:23.101 Loaded Morph Deltas in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:07:23.102 Loaded file: PHMEyelashesLengthUpper.dsf
    2021-07-20 22:07:23.137 Loaded Morph Deltas in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:07:23.138 Loaded file: PHMEyelashesLengthLower.dsf
    2021-07-20 22:07:23.172 Loaded Morph Deltas in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:07:23.185 Loaded file: PHMEyelashesCurl.dsf

Switch my content directory manager to just content from DAZ3D Install_Manager_Dir("essentials")
    2021-07-20 22:07:48.255 *** Scene Cleared ***
    2021-07-20 22:08:08.173 *** Scene Cleared ***
    2021-07-20 22:09:19.072 File loaded in 1 min 11.1 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:09:19.082 Loaded file: genesis 8.1 female dev load.duf
    2021-07-20 22:09:19.978 Loaded Morph Deltas in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:09:19.978 Loaded file: PHMEyelashesLengthUpper.dsf
    2021-07-20 22:09:20.015 Loaded Morph Deltas in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:09:20.016 Loaded file: PHMEyelashesLengthLower.dsf
    2021-07-20 22:09:20.052 Loaded Morph Deltas in 0 min 0.0 sec.
    2021-07-20 22:09:20.064 Loaded file: PHMEyelashesCurl.dsf

Proof positive. There is a difference. Previous comment withdrawn.

"Thousands of morphs" is not that much, make that "Tens of thousands" and you start seeing the effect. File sizes do not give accurate reference point as most ot them are compressed.

What can also affect loading times, albeit not by much [hopefully], are calls for missing products. i.e. one morph requiring another morph. However [thankfully] the search is limited to the designated folder(s). Another program used to take the time to search the ENTIRE computer looking for a missing picture [usually what I call a checker T] that would never be shown anyhow!

You made me look at the log doing this (I was not going to mention it, but...) I was able to fix somewhere around 600 warnings about bad references to other morphs that it could not find. Thank you for that, it made me happy :) I'm on Linux so the easy fix was a script to lowercase my entire library, may not work for anyone else though.
    While doing that I had a look at the freebie morphs I have collected, so I might as well share what I have found:

freebie statistics for genesis8 only

from shrcg and rendo for 3 years or so (not all they have available mind you)
    /data/daz 3d/genesis 8

.dsf "Base Resolution" morphs
    1055 items 24.3MB total under 300k
    62 items 41.7MB total over 300K and under 1.2MB

.dhdm "High Resolution" morphs
    6 items 3.9MB total none over 1.3MB

all gen8 freebies released by daz (I don't think I missed any over the years) 
    /data/daz 3d/genesis 8

.dsf
    1884 items 29.5MB total under 300k
    26 items 18.5MB total over 300k under 1.1MB

.dhdm
    71 items 10.6MB total under 300k
    92 items 112MB total over 300k under 2.7MB
    7 items 153.9MB total over 10.3MB under 60MB (ClaudinaHD, MabelHD, G8.1)

I would say over two-thirds of these show as compressed.

Wow, thou are "organized" lol ...

It's interesting that you have .dhdm high def. morphs from sharecg and Reno 'cause they are supposed to only be sold at Daz3D by PAs. {last I heard}

All told for my G8F, I think the number was bouncing around 7-8 Gs. Don't know if I can get a collective weight on them, will see if I can entice G8F to step on some scales ;-)

I believe those HD morphs were for a pair of freebie faces by brahann, Mary Queen of Scott's and Melynda released around March of 2020 (according to the timestamp on the archives). I Have no idea about the releasing rules for HD morphs, so I looked. The help center lists two topics in the licensing/legale section (3d printing and "what can i use a daz3d figure for legally") and a (google and duckduckgo) search for "daz3d studio HD morph publishing rules" yielded no useful results on the subject. If you have more info about freebie rules hit me with a link, please.