Start from Scratch

Anhedonia_79Anhedonia_79 Posts: 6
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

My content database is jacked up beyond belief. I believe that I need to start over from scratch. I have files purchased from Daz, Renderosity, and Runtime DNA - and it's a nightmare trying to find them all (in fact, many files are missing/broken/and who knows what else). Does anyone have simple suggestions on how to go about "pushing the reset button"? Because I need a do-over.

When I do start over, will the install manager install all of my old daz files (including ones that were released prior to the creation of the install manager)?

Also, when installing content from other marketplaces, is there any easy way to go about this? And if so, how?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Resetting the database and reinstalling products is the easy part. The hard part is re-categorizing them. DIM will install everything nicely. last I knew they hadn't gotten everything setup for it yet, but there is a filter for your product library out there that can tell you what isn't installed by DIM. You can then download and install those yourself. Also understand that if you weren't saving the installers(in DIM), you will have to download everything again. Sometimes even if you did, you'll have to. I ran into that one time. Several Gigabytes later...
    What I did was, I separated DAZ content and NON DAZ content into separate directories. This way I let DIM control the DAZ directory so it can update products without trouble, and I control the other. That way I can combine all the documentation files into one directory, etc. There are just sometimes you have to move things around. If you do that with the directory that DIM takes care of, when it updates a product, it wont find every thing to uninstall.
    When re-installing, I suggest you go a little at a time. Install some and then categorize it. Repeat until done. Especially things from other vendors. The unassigned category can become a big mess. DAZ products I've been mostly categorizing from the product menu. You could have DIM install a few at a time also if you think you'll get discouraged trying to categorize everything at once. Otherwise decide on a system and stick with it, or you won't know when your done. Saving your user data often is also a good idea also.
    Now, Installing NON DAZ products. You should organize your zip files into some sort of system before beginning. If your going to do like I did, just unzip into the correct directory. What I did was open an explorer window, then open the zip file and drag the files over, close zip file and repeat. If you want more control, or if you are putting everything in a single runtime, You should probably use a temporary directory. Drag the files to the temp directory, fix them, then drag to them to your runtime.
    Good luck!
    Gus