Skull implant

Anyone with an idea of where to find a prop for [a Skull implant] one?

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• What sort of skull implant?

• Mainly a medical prosthetic implant, similar to attached
    646597.jpg
    2197 x 1400 - 1M
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247

quasimondo1933_d9c60fcfb4 said:

Mainly a medical prosthetic implant, similar to attached

Wow. Well that brings to mind about a thousand and one questions.

1. For the final result is one supposed to have a solid cap over that grid or are the brains supposed to be seen?

2. um, a quick Google search did not result in any answers so um, why would such a device be used? There are modeling reasons as to why I ask this question.

• So, the overall project is to buid a cyber-implant "window" similar to what JSchaper made for G8F, but it would be positioned at the side of her head instead of the back.  I hope this gives some clarification.

cybernetic-head-for-genesis.jpg
    650 x 650 - 53K

So, the overall project is to buid a cyber-implant "window" similar to what JSchaper made for G8F, but it would be positioned at the side of her head instead of the back.  I hope this gives some clarification.

Okay, glad I asked :-) 

So you're not after a skull so much as a geograft that will provide a plate over part of the side of G8F's head, right?

• That's correct

That's correct

Theoretically that should be easy enough to do. We'll see how the day unfolds.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

If you use the Geometry Editor and create a new surface out of the parts you want to hide, you can make a hole to the head by hiding that surface or apply a glass shader to make it transparent.

Yes but if we make a geograft one can put a detailed image on it of innards for the cyberbrain :-)

• felisfelis Posts: 4,191

Couldn't you just model something and then parent it to the head, and then use cut-out oppacity for the hole?

No one is stopping you felis, go right ahead. Expecting all one's customers to want to cut out mesh in order to use their products though might not encourage repeat business [free or commercial]. A geograft does that work but in a more thorough manner.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156
    edited July 2021

Geografts are a slick feature. Listen to Catherine. She has the knowing and the doing ;) I've found geometry editor to be dodgy at times. But that could be operator malfunction, too.

Post edited by Torquinox on
    edited July 2021

Torquinox said:

Geografts are a slick feature. Listen to Catherine. She has the knowing and the doing ;) I've found geometry editor to be dodgy at times. But that could be operator malfunction, too.

The geometry editor [so far] I've not had issues with, but Hexagon IMHO doesn't really handle the G8 mesh all that well. I started this project ... you know, a few steps then to save. Just before doing the project save it "poofed" ... eerrrr ... so no more tonight.

Editing out, as there was no reply I just went ahead and made the geograft choosing it to cover over this area. Had an eye texture on the desktop so it was elected to show off the detailing ability for this prop. Takes shaders nicely too. No shaders included. Does have basic 3DL and Iray mats though. Will release probably tomorrow over in the freebie thread.

Lots of mesh for details.png
    913 x 815 - 1M
    Apply your shaders and or textures.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited July 2021

By the way, a neat trick to making some of the area to have little lights or light threads is to use an image on the emissions dial. {Iray}

I won't disagree that a geocraft is a much nicer solution, especially for 3rd parties.

Here is my take on it.

G8F_implant.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,156

As you surely know, Catherine, the short answer to the Hexagon problem is to use another modeler. Nice solutions to you and Felis :)

edited July 2021

Torquinox said:

As you surely know, Catherine, the short answer to the Hexagon problem is to use another modeler. Nice solutions to you and Felis :)

hehehe ... yeah. Do you know how long it takes to learn how to use Hexagon?! And in the day there were precious few tutorials. And half the buttons did not do what the nice but old manual said they should. {and for the record the other modeler had just as many bugs in it plus a UI that was not particularly user friendly}. Today things are different and yes, if one is just starting out - while keeping Hexagon if only just for the bridge is a good idea -- spend the year(s) learning the other one. It's ui is now more friendly, allegedly. But I persevered and did convince Hexagon to play nice and make this geograft :-)

Sharecg.com link

Left Hood for G8F ONLY.png
    1000 x 1000 - 589K

felis said:

I won't disagree that a geocraft is a much nicer solution, especially for 3rd parties.

Here is my take on it.

That's pretty for a prop.

Geografts have to match existing base resolution mesh - basically we're allowed one loop around to do that as one is redistributing mesh from the figure which in any other circumstance is a big no-no.

Catherine3678ab said:

felis said:

Here is my take on it.

That's pretty for a prop.

Geografts have to match existing base resolution mesh - basically we're allowed one loop around to do that as one is redistributing mesh from the figure which in any other circumstance is a big no-no.

I am aware of the nature of a geocraft, although I have never made one.

And regarding fitting geocrafts have a large advantage.

I had to fiddle a number of times with the cutout mask to get what I wanted. And ended up doing a slight modification of tthe prop to give larger tolerance.

Yes each have their pros and cons. Fitted items can 'grow' when the figure is morphed so props might hold their shape better [if they were left as props, not made into figures]. Props can be 'tied' to a section of mesh so that they will move along with the figure, staying in place. It's a method that works for buttons 'n bows 'n earrings, etc. Not so sure how it would work on the large head piece.

Yeah, that is why I tried to make it a wearable instead of a prop.

And that worked fine.

Here it is a on very different character.

G8F_implant2.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M

felis said:

Yeah, that is why I tried to make it a wearable instead of a prop.

And that worked fine.

Here it is a on very different character.

Looks good :-) 

• felis said:

Here is my take on it.

That does look good. I've tried my hand at geografting and my novice skills left a lot to be desired. I'll try them all out, and I've also decided to bite the bullet and learn blender too (maybe if I get familiar with Blender, the learning curve for Hexagon will look less daunting).

That does look good. I've tried my hand at geografting and my novice skills left a lot to be desired. I'll try them all out, and I've also decided to bite the bullet and learn blender too (maybe if I get familiar with Blender, the learning curve for Hexagon will look less daunting).

Mine is a prop/wearable, not a geocraft. 

If interested, you can get it. But I think I can only offer it as an obj-file. I have never really learned how to make it into an actual product (I probably should, but never got to it).

To make an .obj into a prop is easy. Color it as you please [or leave it white], File > Save As > Support Assets > Figure/Props assets ... name it and you're done.

To share: need the data folder [under your name under data] plus the loading icons [possibly if you saved them under My Library > Props or wherever]

And if you're sharing textures: then hopefully they started from the Runtime > textures > your name > your subfolder , those too.

Content or My Library > data > ...

Content or My Library > Props or People etc ...

Content or My Library > Runtime > Textures > your name > etc ...

• felis said:

Mine is a prop/wearable, not a geocraft. 

If interested, you can get it. But I think I can only offer it as an obj-file. I have never really learned how to make it into an actual product (I probably should, but never got to it).

I'll give it a try. I've been able to make a geograf before, but part of the problem with Hexagon I had was that it stripped away the UV mapping when I imported the g8f mesh and started manipulating it. I never figured out how to reapply the texture map so it looked decent.

Thanks Cathrine for the guidance.

I did get it saved as a product. But when I wanted to test it, I observed something odd that I hadn't payed attention to when I made it.

When you add an cutout oppacity image to a surface it affects the SSS of that surface overall. So in essence you can't use cutout oppacity without changing how the skin looks overall, https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/506091/iray-cutout-oppacity-weirdness#latest

Wow, that's a scary image! Don't have that problem with the geografts thankfully.

Catherine3678ab said:

Wow, that's a scary image! Don't have that problem with the geografts thankfully.

No, I just thought that a prop would do the job fine enough. Now I have learned that.