Efficiently use high-quality environments for multiple renders?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello,

I plan on trying this when I get home, but I was hoping to get some discussion on it going before then...

For example, I have "The Enchanted Forest" (beautiful scene, worth every penny even if it was a bit pricey). Unfortunately, rendering takes my machine around 30 minutes with all the shadows and ambient lights, etc.

How convincing would it be if I, say, rendered the scene with just the environment, then delete the environment, but keep the lights, and use the render I just created as a background? I feel like it would be "OK" at best.

Thoughts? Perhaps a gem I haven't heard about that will speed up the render speed?

Comments

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

The transmaps from those leaves and vines are probably slowing down the renders.... apply ubersurface (or uberhair) then turn off raytracing and occlusion.

Also hide any vines or objects that not part of your render.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

I was under the impression that only the things in the active viewport were rendered?

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

No, everything visible is rendered, even if it's offscreen; otherwise you couldn't do renders where say a light is shining through a window offscreen. So anything not viewable should be hidden or removed.