Struggling with Boolean process

2»

Comments

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

I know I said I was going to walk away from this for awhile, but it's driving me nuts and I have to move on with it. I'm going to recreate this dome, with the proper windows, but I'd still like to know what happened to this one.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

After a lot of distortion of the dome, I discovered that at the end of that bounding box is torus #18 which is at the top of the inner cylinder. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of that. After that all should be well.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 2014

Hello everyone.
    For those who do not know this problem. If a part of the core group has at least one nested group (subgroup) with no Boolean properties, then it is impossible to exclude / include in any light source. All sub-groups must be Boolean properties.
    I have long suffered with this chandelier, until I realized what was happening. :)

chandelier.jpg
    640 x 800 - 167K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
    edited December 1969

Group based on parental relationships, can be used not only for animation. For example, this bracelet has a consistent parental connection nearest parts of the bracelet with the body. Each next element related to the previous. Because of this, it is possible to bend the bracelet as you like.
    However, in the library of objects displayed only the main element of the group, that is, the watch case.
    The body is made with Terrain, the other elements with the primitives.

wristwatch.jpg
    840 x 630 - 122K
  • OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

@Slepalex: Holy crap, that must have been painstaking work!

I mean, one of the background two watches would have been a straight duplicate, but even doing just one of those straps would have consumed a lot of time in Bryce, even given the strap is longitudinally mirrored. It's the minute rotations to bend the watchstrap both in a circular band AND the subtle bend due to resting against gravity... I don't have the patience for that kind of detail - Exemplary work :)

I tend to be using Blender these days. This would be a straightforward Rigid Body modeling job, like the chain in this 11-minute tutorial.

Blender: Fun with Rigid Body Physics

edited December 1969

Oroboros said:
    @Slepalex: Holy crap, that must have been painstaking work!

I mean, one of the background two watches would have been a straight duplicate, but even doing just one of those straps would have consumed a lot of time in Bryce, even given the strap is longitudinally mirrored. It's the minute rotations to bend the watchstrap both in a circular band AND the subtle bend due to resting against gravity... I don't have the patience for that kind of detail - Exemplary work :)

I tend to be using Blender these days. This would be a straightforward Rigid Body modeling job, like the chain in this 11-minute tutorial.

Blender: Fun with Rigid Body Physics

I also tried a simple modeling in Blender, but no animation. In Blender, it's easier if you become familiar with the program. However, bryce do it more interesting, as bryce in principle is not intended for modeling.
    Of course, automation process in Bryce is not very much. However, after the modeling of the bracelet can be bended very simple per 5 minutes. And all this because of parental connections.
    Yes, and Bryce did not mirror reflected. Simple manual copying.
    The initial kind of watch looks like this:

Armbanduhr2.jpg
    840 x 630 - 64K
    edited December 1969

Love the watch!

I keep going back to my dome. I'll get it almost right and have to make a tiny adjustment and oops! It's no long worth the agrivation to me to keep working with it. Thanks again for all your help and support.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited December 1969

@slepalex - this is a beautiful model. I've seen it before in a render of yours but I didn't realise what effort you had put into it. Quite obviously, you're also a gifted modeler and definitely more patient than I am.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2015

just came back to visit daz-bryce community after a long break and i saw this thread.
    Here is a link for a boolean tutorial made by me http://www.sharecg.com/v/63140/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Bryce-Tutorial-1-Basic-and-Complex-Booleans in case you didn/t knew about it . I hope it will help you with some basic knowledge and won't confuse you more. It's kinda old and might be unprofessional but at least i tried to cover some useful things :)
    Oh, and on this way i want to wish to everyone a new happy year 2015, with all the best , health, prosperity and great great achievements on hobby, at work and in life.

p.s. more links from different boolean tutorials you can find at http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2839/

Post edited by cris333 on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@slepalex: Gorgeous watches, as is the chandelier.

@Goofy: Don't give up on the dome, you can get it. One thing I learned, quite by accident, or curiosity, is that when making the Boolean objects to cut in the windows, you can make the two cylinders and one cube positive, group them, then make the group negative and be able to make slight adjustments without needing to move the three pieces independently. Just be sure to make the main part of the dome positive and group it with all of the negative window cut out groups.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,541
    edited December 1969

@cris333 - thank you.

edited December 1969

@cris333: Real nice tutorial, easy to follow.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2015

Thank you Nemo :), tried ma best ,i even added a song from youtube to the tutorial to help with the learning process :D .

I forgot to add a link for goofygrmom3 to a scene , a simple, very simple scene, boolean domino pieces to download and play with the Attributes to see new results and how it works.
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/63624/gallery/5/3D-Model/Boolean-Domino-for-Bryce

The scene renders very fast so you don't have to wait for longer time to see a boolean basic rule.
    An account login is required in order to download from ShareCG.

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

@cris333: Nice looking dominoes.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,392
    edited December 1969

Slepalex: beautiful work both the chandelier and the watch.

Cris – thanks for the tutorial and the domino. Downloading them now :-)

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

@Slepalex: Awesome work. You're very talented, persistent, and patient. :D

@goofy: Don't give up! Keep going, you'll get it soon.

@cris: Thanks for the tutorial. I downloaded it awhile ago and it's very helpful!

edited December 1969

I'm not giving up, but I have to stay away from it for a bit. Otherwise it'll drive me nuts.

Thanks for the tut link Chris333.

edited December 1969

I'm not giving up, but I have to stay away from it for a bit. Otherwise it'll drive me nuts.

Thanks for the tut link Chris333.

I so know about going nuts trying to figure out something. I too have put something away for a while and come back to it later, much later.