July, 2021 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Portrait Rendering and LIE

Comments

• aprilshowers2065aprilshowers2065 Posts: 703
    edited July 2021

Thanks @Kismet2012! Those aren't actually the edges of the plane but the edges of the doorway in the back wall and the well in the centre of the room that are mostly invisible; I've added more light in the background so they're a bit clearer. Also tried a bit of rim light on her, although I may have made it a bit bright at the edges. Will try toning that back a bit.

Sorcess5.png
    1667 x 2000 - 4M
    Post edited by aprilshowers2065 on
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 415
    edited July 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

katywhite said:

katywhite said:

Title: The Shadow

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Beginner

Still toying around with this, here's a couple of versions already. Would appreciate some feedback at this point though since I'm still experimenting. :)

I very appreciate so much feedback the first time round.

Now if you face the door and have someone walking through door with a shocked face like he is being attack. Just my opinion. Just Like I said before it's up to you as the artist when it's good enough for you.

Reversed your suggestion a bit to make sure she remains the one in focus....attacked sucker it is :D

Might be a bit dark now though, not sure.

Portrait Human Entry 3rd version.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • Alias52Alias52 Posts: 284
    edited July 2021

One Man And His Dog

Intermediate

So, after a nearby lightning strike rendered me internetless, I found it a struggle to get into the challenge this month. I have had a little play so far with the LIE to get the character his tattoo. I think he could take a little more ink or effects without overpowering him, but not thought what yet.

One Man and his Dog.jpg
    1800 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Alias52 on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252

katywhite said:

katywhite said:

Still toying around with this, here's a couple of versions already. Would appreciate some feedback at this point though since I'm still experimenting. :)

Here are two more versions based on feedback I received. Still toying around since not 100% happy with it but I feel like I could benefit with showing the progress.

First new version here kept the first red lighting but with a more depth of field added. The second new version here tried to put her more in the shadows with more like the second set of lighting from before (had to change a bit to make it a bit darker though). On both tried to add emissive to her blade.

@katywhite.  Of the two newest version I like the top one.  Intesifying the red light and DOF is really adding drama to this image the 2nd one lacks.  The intensity of the light near her head really draws the eye upward.

aki3d said:

Intermediate challenge

DS 4.14

Desperation

@aki3d  This is a great image. 

I can feel the desperation in this character.  Bloodied, dirty and fighting for his life.  He looks like he is at the end of his rope but won't give up.

I do not have any suggestions for you.

Tynkere said:

Kismet2012 said:

I do not know which other figures you may own so I applied Genesis 8.0 skin maps to Victoria 8.  I am attaching renders of the results.  I do not see the purple colour on the eyelids so this may be an option?

I hope something here helps.

Thanks for taking the time to do those renders.  I tried using face texture from 'no makup' V8, lasso lower eyelids, tweak 'selective color' in PS and save as .png file.  

Entry 2... I put a L.I.E. slogan on shirt as suggested.  V8 face is also using L.I.E. for lips, blush, and the lower eyelids.

For the campfire, I'm using an emmisive sphere to rule out if grain on some eye highlights is result of too many emissive lights.  Since it's between the campfire and model, I hid the sphere with a cutout opacity of 0.00010

BTW, decided to nix the first entry because corners of her mouth looked odd.  I have trouble getting convincing facial expressions on V8.

Comments & room for inprovement on both are welcome.  I've been away from 3D since pandemic -- 2 years is long time out of practice!  Need all the help I can get.  

Title: "Pensive"
    Contest L.I.E.
    App: DS 4.10

PS:  What is preferred size for attachments?

You are welcome @Tynkere

I think everyone probably has a preferred size depending on what they are rendering and why.  My personal preference for most images is 1500 on the longest edge.  But I have had images that I have had to reduce the overall size in order to get it to fit on my nVidia card.  It is really about personal preference.  For the forums it needs to be resized to 800.

When it comes to expressions I personally tend to keep them subtle.  I personally find they start to look off when taken to an extreme.  I do a lot of mixing and matching of expressions and then go in to individual features, ie:  eyes, mouth, etc and tweak from there.

This is a very realistic scene.  I am right there with her.  I can just imagine the mosquitos. 

The camper and vehicle in the background really add to the scene.  Love the colourful blanket.  Her clothes look good.  The lights on the vehicles help to draw the eye around the image.

Well done.

aprilshowers2065 said:

Thanks @Kismet2012! Those aren't actually the edges of the plane but the edges of the doorway in the back wall and the well in the centre of the room that are mostly invisible; I've added more light in the background so they're a bit clearer. Also tried a bit of rim light on her, although I may have made it a bit bright at the edges. Will try toning that back a bit.

Dark shadows in am image certainly add mystery but can also cause confusion.  At least for me.

Lighting up the background a bit has helped her to stand out.

katywhite said:

AgitatedRiot said:

katywhite said:

katywhite said:

Now if you face the door and have someone walking through door with a shocked face like he is being attack. Just my opinion. Just Like I said before it's up to you as the artist when it's good enough for you.

Reversed your suggestion a bit to make sure she remains the one in focus....attacked sucker it is :D

Lots of dynamism in this image now.  But it does need some light to help separate the figures.  Maybe something coming in from the side of the corridor she is ambushing the guard from?  Our left perhaps?  That might help to separate both figures with 1 light?

Alias52 said:

One Man And His Dog

Intermediate

So, after a nearby lightning strike rendered me internetless, I found it a struggle to get into the challenge this month. I have had a little play so far with the LIE to get the character his tattoo. I think he could take a little more ink or effects without overpowering him, but not thought what yet.

I am sorry to hear about the lightening strike but glad you are okay.  I have been struggling with an internet connection with my rendering computer.  It doesn't want to stay connected which is irritating.

If you want to add another tattoo to your character an arm band of some kind might work on his right bicep.  I have seen tattoos on the underarm of the bicep as well.  Googling shows some quite elaborate and intricate tattoos.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

This is the final version of my entry for the  Intermediate challenge

edited July 2021

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

Second Entry

Title: Pounce's Guided Tour

Caption: ...and out here on the balcony, you can see the whole world...!

Feedback appreciated =)

This is an adorable image.  I love the interaction between Pounce and his little guest.  The lighting is really well done.  You have some nice shadows.  

I do find the rainbow colour on Pounce's shirt a bit of a distraction.  It is so bright it draws my eye away from his face.  The blue on his hat helps to draw my eye up to his face.  Perhaps turning down the glossiness on the shirt will help.  It has a shininess to it that I think is drawing my eye to it.

Really cute image.  Love it.

Thank you! Glad you liked it.

I made two attempts to adjust as you suggested. It wasn't actually really glossy so the first take here I turned up the roughness. The second version I also added a slight lilac tint to the muumuu.

Pounces New Clothes_editedv1.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M
    Pounces New Clothes_editedv2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 7M

I am sorry to hear about the lightening strike but glad you are okay.  I have been struggling with an internet connection with my rendering computer.  It doesn't want to stay connected which is irritating.

If you want to add another tattoo to your character an arm band of some kind might work on his right bicep.  I have seen tattoos on the underarm of the bicep as well.  Googling shows some quite elaborate and intricate tattoos.

One Man And His Dog (2)

Intermediate

Have added a second tattoo sleeve. Also, turned the Direwolf's head to make it cleared it had blue eyes (like the tattoos!) Changed the sword and armour around and added some extra spider types. Bit of fun. More to come.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited July 2021

Something went wrong again.  Very specific!

Post edited by Tynkere on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited July 2021

Kismet2012 said:

When it comes to expressions I personally tend to keep them subtle.  I personally find they start to look off when taken to an extreme.  I do a lot of mixing and matching of expressions and then go in to individual features, ie:  eyes, mouth, etc and tweak from there.

I can just imagine the mosquitos.

Thanks for the kind words.  Am trying low settings on HD morphs then tweaking with facial ones.  Good point about mosquitoes too.  Was needing some props to fill that corner.

Final version then.  

Enjoyed reading through topic and seeing everyones work.  Best wishes

---
    Title “Pensive”
    Contest: L.I.E. (face and shirt)
    App(s): Design Studio 4.10 | Photoshop CS-3
    ---
    Changes & work done:

Tweak pose-- chin on hands, elbows on legs.  
    Change shirt design so all of slogan is visible.   
    Finish rock & grass instances.
    Move camper so hatch isn’t cropped out at top.
    Make a mosquito repellent label for prop. The template is from a can of roach spray. 

---

DAZENTRY2-Final.png
    1461 x 1096 - 1M
    Post edited by Tynkere on

katywhite said:

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

Second Entry

Title: Pounce's Guided Tour

Caption: ...and out here on the balcony, you can see the whole world...!

Feedback appreciated =)

This is an adorable image.  I love the interaction between Pounce and his little guest.  The lighting is really well done.  You have some nice shadows.  

I do find the rainbow colour on Pounce's shirt a bit of a distraction.  It is so bright it draws my eye away from his face.  The blue on his hat helps to draw my eye up to his face.  Perhaps turning down the glossiness on the shirt will help.  It has a shininess to it that I think is drawing my eye to it.

Really cute image.  Love it.

Thank you! Glad you liked it.

I made two attempts to adjust as you suggested. It wasn't actually really glossy so the first take here I turned up the roughness. The second version I also added a slight lilac tint to the muumuu.

Looking at the lilac version it might have been the yellow in the shirt that was giving me the impression of it being shiney.

Alias52 said:

One Man And His Dog (2)

Intermediate

Have added a second tattoo sleeve. Also, turned the Direwolf's head to make it cleared it had blue eyes (like the tattoos!) Changed the sword and armour around and added some extra spider types. Bit of fun. More to come.

I do enjoy the cocky, self-assured smirk he has on this face.  The additional tattoo looks great.

Tynkere said:

Kismet2012 said:

I can just imagine the mosquitos.

Thanks for the kind words.  Am trying low settings on HD morphs then tweaking with facial ones.  Good point about mosquitoes too.  Was needing some props to fill that corner.

Final version then.  

Enjoyed reading through topic and seeing everyones work.  Best wishes

---
    Title “Pensive”
    Contest: L.I.E. (face and shirt)
    App(s): Design Studio 4.10 | Photoshop CS-3
    ---
    Changes & work done:

Tweak pose-- chin on hands, elbows on legs.  
    Change shirt design so all of slogan is visible.   
    Finish rock & grass instances.
    Move camper so hatch isn’t cropped out at top.
    Make a mosquito repellent label for prop. The template is from a can of roach spray. 

---

Mosquito spray is a must have item. 

Really well done.

Tynkere said:

Something went wrong again.  Very specific!

I find I get this usually when trying to attach an image or quote a comment that has images in it - navigating back and trying again it usually saves part of the post and publishes that part and I'm able to edit and fix as needed.

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

katywhite said:

Here are two more versions based on feedback I received. Still toying around since not 100% happy with it but I feel like I could benefit with showing the progress.

First new version here kept the first red lighting but with a more depth of field added. The second new version here tried to put her more in the shadows with more like the second set of lighting from before (had to change a bit to make it a bit darker though). On both tried to add emissive to her blade.

@katywhite.  Of the two newest version I like the top one.  Intesifying the red light and DOF is really adding drama to this image the 2nd one lacks.  The intensity of the light near her head really draws the eye upward.

I'm glad those changes helped :)

edited July 2021

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

AgitatedRiot said:

katywhite said:

katywhite said:

Lots of dynamism in this image now.  But it does need some light to help separate the figures.  Maybe something coming in from the side of the corridor she is ambushing the guard from?  Our left perhaps?  That might help to separate both figures with 1 light?

Okay...tried adding the light. Easier to tell them apart now I think :)

Portrait Human Entry 3rd view2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 6M
  • Eggs ActlyEggs Actly Posts: 168
    edited July 2021

Title: The Smuggler

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

TheSmugglerBig.jpg
    5000 x 4000 - 6M
    Post edited by Eggs Actly on
  • Version B of my second Idea here.

I retextured my characters shirt, gave him a holstered sidearm as a backup weapon, added some smoke wafting from a nearby vent, and added some DoF to focus on him.

july2021-2b.png
    553 x 896 - 856K

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version B of my second Idea here.

I retextured my characters shirt, gave him a holstered sidearm as a backup weapon, added some smoke wafting from a nearby vent, and added some DoF to focus on him.

Very nice! The lighting is working very well here and the DOF is certainly helping bring focus to him.

katywhite said:

Kismet2012 said:

katywhite said:

AgitatedRiot said:

katywhite said:

katywhite said:

Okay...tried adding the light. Easier to tell them apart now I think :)

A subtle change that works.   I hadn't thought of red but now I immediately think a warning light...which seems to have come a bit late for this guard.

Eggs Actly said:

Title: The Smuggler

Software: Daz 3D

Challenge: Intermediate

That is an interesting character with an equally interesting story to tell I am sure.

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Version B of my second Idea here.

Nice additions.  

• vamokvamok Posts: 238

Game Over

Intermediate Entry #2 Rendered in Daz. No postwork.

My goal for this one was to stick some nose art on a warplane. I still don't own the beautiful B-17 so I had to work with something a little "newer". I started by trying to find a royalty-free pinup girl which was a complete waste of time. Then it donned on me...I can make my own pinup art! So I rendered up a pinup girl and used the LIE editor to stick her onto my aircraft along with a star, aircraft id #, and the scribbled text "Get Some!". Unfortunately, the text got covered by the laser fire. The hardest part was identifying the correct surfaces on this vehicle. It has so many parts on its maps!

Nose Art.png
    987 x 893 - 398K
    incoming.png
    1200 x 1085 - 3M

vamok said:

Game Over

My goal for this one was to stick some nose art on a warplane. I still don't own the beautiful B-17 so I had to work with something a little "newer". I started by trying to find a royalty-free pinup girl which was a complete waste of time. Then it donned on me...I can make my own pinup art! So I rendered up a pinup girl and used the LIE editor to stick her onto my aircraft along with a star, aircraft id #, and the scribbled text "Get Some!". Unfortunately, the text got covered by the laser fire. The hardest part was identifying the correct surfaces on this vehicle. It has so many parts on its maps!

Love it! Great idea to create the pin up girl! The L.I.E. editor is simple to use but a pig to get precise positioning!

• vamokvamok Posts: 238

Alias52 said:

Love it! Great idea to create the pin up girl! The L.I.E. editor is simple to use but a pig to get precise positioning!

I agree, figuring out the positioning can be a real bugger. Here is a trick I figured out. Open the file you plan to edit with the L.I.E. Editor in your photo editing software. Make a new layer. Create/modify/adjust your "decal" and then position it exactly where you will want to place it on the model. Hide the base layer and save your decal layer as a png without resizing it.

In the L.I.E. editor create the new layer and browse to the decal layer you made. When you import it, it will be prepositioned (assuming you have ticked scale to fit) because you saved it on a canvas the same size as the original :-) Now bake that thing in and call it a day!

I am sure the file is a little bigger, but the convenience more than makes up for it. 

Thanks for the comment.

vamok said:

Game Over

Intermediate Entry #2 Rendered in Daz. No postwork.

Love the idea and the pin-up girl.