What setting do you have to UP to get Smooth Soft shadows with 3D Delight?

nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I rendered in 3DDeligt without making any changes to the 3DDelight settings and the soft shadows look low quality like fuzzy. How do i make them smoother?

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Hard to know where to begin answering this one, as there are several factors which come into play and you've not given us any examples to go by. I'll try and summarize the main points as best I can.

Firstly, the lighting solution. If you're using raytraced lighting, you'll get the best results. Shadow mapping can sometimes be faster, but inevitably gives less desirable results by comparison. It's an outdated way of calculating shadows which is now rarely used. You can also improve shadows by increasing the number of 'Shadow Samples' in the render options. By way of an example, I keep mine at 32 for most renders.

Shading rate gives perhaps the most drastic changes overall to your scene, but also drastically changes the total render time. The shading rate basically says how much of an area is going to be calculated for shading, and is measured in pixels. Lower settings give better results because it's chopping the scene into smaller pieces. Ideally you want this at a value lower than 1. I use 0.1 which means 100 divisions per pixel (10x10), but even a value of 1.0 will give reasonable results.

If you're using UberEnvironment lighting or any other occlusion-based solution, you might want to increase the number of samples as well. A higher sample count also means smoother lighting overall.