Flip Phones Have Come A Long Way

I don't own a smart phone, just a 10" tablet and a nice Canon PowerShot camera.  I had to upgrade my old flip phone to 4G, the new one has a 2MP camera that shoots 1200x1600 jpg images. Alcatel FLIPSMART, $30 at Walmart, AT&T Prepaid, no monthly charge.

I took it on a walk out my back gate and through the rainy 45 acre park just behind it, shooting stills, one minute video/slideshow here:

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    At 99$ and a new model, it would retired your Powershot. At 199$ and a good new model at a sale, you would be amazed at the low light performance. Frikkin Hollywood cameras at 100k back in the early digital days are worse now...
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

3drendero said:

At 99$ and a new model, it would retired your Powershot. At 199$ and a good new model at a sale, you would be amazed at the low light performance. Frikkin Hollywood cameras at 100k back in the early digital days are worse now...

Yup.  My Canon Powershot SX40 HS is almost a decade old, and I have not shopped cameras since.  But I still enjoy using it - 12MP, 1080p video with stereo sound, 35x optical zoom ... here is an early test video (note - sometimes the playback is screwy with some missing stuff and black at the end ... I dunno ... )

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    The latest top of the line phones have 100x zoom now. Mid range phones have 48x. Soon you can replace the zoom lens too at a low price. Hmm, have not tried a 100x zoom animation in Carrara...
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Nice video though ! Great to see stuff from around the world

Headwax said:

Thanks.  Do I recall correctly you live in Australia?  My wife & I are enjoying "Rake" on NetFlix, a multi season comedy about a Sydney lawyer.  In a recent episode (Season 1, episode 5 - 8.4 @IMDB), he represents a respected doctor whom the police have caught in a video in very perverted circumstances.  In a panic, the good doctor says it was shot in Canada, but his lawyer says, "C'mon, mate, you can see the Opera House out the window!"  blush

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited July 2021

Very cool! Yeah... as technology keeps flying by, I still hold to the idea that: just because they make higher and higher def, that doesn't mean we all have to jump in and use it.

To me, 1080p still looks fantastic and, like I said in the other thread, I watched your 720p Carrara movie on my big screen TV and thought it looked gorgeous!

UHD brings out the most minute of details, which is quite impressive. But I'm still not entirely convinced that it looks better. Crisper, more real... yes. Better? Well... I like the art and color of motion pictures (and stills) and a great soundtrack. I'll take those over UHD details anyday if I have to choose between them.

Put them all together in something as cool as... say, Alita Battle Angel and we've really got something impressive!!! LOL

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Steve K said:

I don't own a smart phone, just a 10" tablet and a nice Canon PowerShot camera.  I had to upgrade my old flip phone to 4G, the new one has a 2MP camera that shoots 1200x1600 jpg images. Alcatel FLIPSMART, $30 at Walmart, AT&T Prepaid, no monthly charge.

I took it on a walk out my back gate and through the rainy 45 acre park just behind it, shooting stills, one minute video/slideshow here:

very nice... who maintains the park? is it the community or town that keeps the upkeep? 

Steve K said:

Headwax said:

Thanks.  Do I recall correctly you live in Australia?  My wife & I are enjoying "Rake" on NetFlix, a multi season comedy about a Sydney lawyer.  In a recent episode (Season 1, episode 5 - 8.4 @IMDB), he represents a respected doctor whom the police have caught in a video in very perverted circumstances.  In a panic, the good doctor says it was shot in Canada, but his lawyer says, "C'mon, mate, you can see the Opera House out the window!"  blush

Ha ha. Ust have been the Little known Canadian Opera House :)

Ust equals must ! 

Stezza said:

very nice... who maintains the park? is it the community or town that keeps the upkeep? 

Thanks, and its getting nicer every year due partly to some State of Texas matching money.  Its run by the City of Deer Park, TX, the Parks and Recreation Dept.  List of facilities here:

https://www.deerparktx.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Dow-Park-9

edited July 2021

Satsuma park looks similar but smaller.. lots of parks in Deer Park 

Post edited by Stezza on

Steve K said:

Stezza said:

Thanks, and its getting nicer every year due partly to some State of Texas matching money.  Its run by the City of Deer Park, TX, the Parks and Recreation Dept.  List of facilities here:

the streets are well maintained as well, can't get over how well manicured all the lawns are and the footpaths on both sides of the street! yes

the streets are well maintained as well, can't get over how well manicured all the lawns are and the footpaths on both sides of the street! yes

Not sure what you're looking at, no streets in the park, but thanks.  Yes, the city overall requires all streets have concrete curbs and sidewalks on both sides.  Recently they've been modifiying all the sidewalks for accessibility - ramps at the intersections, etc.

Steve K said:

Not sure what you're looking at,

yep, the street that runs along the park... I was looking at the houses and street where you live from the info you provided devil 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

stalking people on Google Earth devil

I do that cheeky

yep, the street that runs along the park... I was looking at the houses and street where you live from the info you provided devil 

Yup, I thought it must be something like that.  You oughta look at the new houses on the east side of town ... you could hide my 3 bedroom in there and never find it.  But they gotta drive to the park ...

wink

WendyLuvsCatz said:

stalking people on Google Earth devil

I do that cheeky

lol

things to do when you're bored laugh