Getting re-Started

RavensmarkRavensmark Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello everyone,

After some years of personal life turmoil (divorce sucks!) I've finally decide to get back into my art and feel like I'm starting from scratch. I left just after upgrading to Gen 3 and now I'm seeing 5s?...

So, my question to those that have been around all this time, what would you recommend to begin updating my library? I'll always use the original characters for the clothes that fit the scene so I'm not worried about that, but with new stuff coming out all the time, which base figures or Genesis upgrades would you list as the most necessary?

Thanks in advance and it's good to be back,

Will

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

Are you using Poser or DAZ Studio? Genesis, and the Genesis shapes such as Victoria 5 ann Michael 5, require DAZ Studio 4 (or, soonish, Carrara 8.5).

• RavensmarkRavensmark Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I really wasn't specific was I? :)

I have Poser 5, DS 4, and Bryce 7. I also have Vue 5 but I don't feel like going through E-on to get my serials reloaded. Their customer service was pretty lousy.

I started with landscapes but quickly got into using Poser and Vue to do cityscapes using Stonemason's great props. I like the improvements to DS and am quickly trading out Poser.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I think it depends on what sort of images your going to focus on initially. If your aiming for landscapes I would have different suggestions than if your going to do people oriented images.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,340
    edited December 1969

Yeah, definitely depends on what you want to do. What are your goals?

In terms of Genesis content, I consider the Genesis Starter Bundle, Michael 5, and Victoria 5 to be pretty much essential. Get the M5 and V5 Pro Bundles if you can afford it--especially if you want to do nude renders, since the Pro Bundles are the only way to get the geo-grafted genitalia. Then there are the "Elite" products: V5 Elite Skin Texture Valerie, M5 Elite Skin Texture Dave, V5 Elite Ponytail, and M5 Elite Hair. These aren't essential but they are certainly high-quality (I own the textures, not the hairstyles yet).

Since you have a collection of 3rd Generation content, you should get the Gen 3 Iconic Shapes bundle and David 3 for Genesis. The shapes are nice, but the best thing about these packages is the ability to AutoFit 3rd Generation clothing to Genesis (you can AutoFit 4th Generation clothing to Genesis by default--no additional purchase required).

After that, it pretty much depends on what you want to do. If anime and/or toons are your thing, then get Hitomi, Taiga, Jason and/or Jasmine or Toon Amy (the latter three come with an amazing light set, I hear). You may also want the Gen 4 Iconic Shapes. If you are into creatures, then get the Creature Creator bundle, Beasts and Brutes, Gorilla, Anubis, Abominable, Mr. Hyde, MS Lycan, and/or some of the cool creature character packages by artists like Valandar and RawArt.

Other things you may consider must-owns (or not) include Genesis Evolutions: Muscularity, Ethnicity for Genesis, Unshaven, Gia Hair, Epic Wings, and the Supersuit. Also take a look at Luthbel's clothing for Genesis...simply amazing detail.

When it comes to human characters, my favorites among those I own include the Tamesis Bundle, Stefan for M4 and Genesis, Naoki for V4 and V5, Ashley for M5, Chablis for V4 and Genesis, and Benjamin for M5. Having nice skin textures is important, and keep in mind you can use textures made for V4 and M4, but not V3 and M3. I'm sure I missed plenty of worthy products from this list, though. Have fun shopping! :)

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Something I would be tempted to suggest before some of the character stuff is Age of Armor's "Atmospheric Effects Cameras for DAZ Studio". The cool factor is super high and it can be used with people and landscapes to great effect. Not to say that the above listed things are not great. I have most of them and they are. If your looking for the basics to start.. Yes to the shapes for the older figures because then you can use a fair bit of your older goodies. And seriously consider some textures that are for genesis (not genesis and v4 or genesis and M4) because I think it makes a difference. I've had pretty good luck with fitting m4/v4 hairs to genesis by the way so you shouldn't feel super limited by that.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio/

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

I'd say the absolute essential for Genesis is the Evolution Morphs bundle, equivalent to the ++ morph packs at Gen 3+4, but someone has already recommended the Genesis Starter Bundle, and seeing as that is only $2-3 more, includes the Evo morphs bundle, and additionally includes two outfits, a hair, and the Genesis Troll....

If you missed out on Gen 4, then you won't have seen what can be done with characters using the Elite textures and the Human Surface Shader - definitely worth investigating to see the progression of technology. Uberenvironment 2 lighting is also well worth investigating for adding extra reality to your renders, but you really need to read a good tutorial to understand how it interacts with normal lighting - Adamr001 had a really good one linked to from his sig.