CPU about to blow up. Tried many things but nothing.

Greetings.

Just started using Daz Studio. When I try to render a scene, my CPU temperature jumps to 95°C.

I did some research and tried some settings that were supposed to help. I even folowed this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPHDD9KnS8&t=500s but my CPU reached 95°C before I even started rendering.

I meet the min requirements (barerly) but at this point, it seems there is nothing I can do since upgrading my PC is not an option.

It saddens me, but is giving up my only option? Or is there some other way?

Thank you!

My specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5 4690K

GPU - GeForce GTX 970 @4GB

RAM - 8GB

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited July 2021

If your computer is falling back to the CPU instead of using the GPU, the scenes you're rendering are too big for your 4 gigs of VRAM. With Genesis 8, that's very, very likely. If you absolutely can't upgrade, your best bet is to reduce the size of your textures. You can either scale them manually with GIMP* or buy the Scene Optimizer product from the store to automate it for you. If you scale your textures down and keep your SubD low, you can fit it all inside the GPU and render smoothly. Your images won't look as good (obviously) but that's about all you can do if you can't upgrade to a beefier rig.

* Remember to always scale by powers of 2 (256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, etc.)

Post edited by margrave on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,821

you could try what I do.

Take the side off your box and stand it by an airconditioner or cooler

• KoromiloKoromilo Posts: 0

margrave said:

If your computer is falling back to the CPU instead of using the GPU, the scenes you're rendering are too big for your 4 gigs of VRAM. With Genesis 8, that's very, very likely. If you absolutely can't upgrade, your best bet is to reduce the size of your textures. You can either scale them manually with GIMP* or buy the Scene Optimizer product from the store to automate it for you. If you scale your textures down and keep your SubD low, you can fit it all inside the GPU and render smoothly. Your images won't look as good (obviously) but that's about all you can do if you can't upgrade to a beefier rig.

* Remember to always scale by powers of 2 (256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, etc.)

I read about Scene Optimizer but I am worried about the finished scene looking horrible. It is on sale right now and it's not expensive. Might as well give it a try. Thanks a lot! 

• KoromiloKoromilo Posts: 0

WendyLuvsCatz said:

you could try what I do.

Take the side off your box and stand it by an airconditioner or cooler

Best thing I can do is a fan. I doubt it will reduce the temps by a lot but it's worth a shot. Thanks! 

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Is your computer a custom build or a pre-build?  If a pre-build, you may want to look it up online to see if others have had the same issue and what they did to fix it.

giannisant said:

I read about Scene Optimizer but I am worried about the finished scene looking horrible. It is on sale right now and it's not expensive. Might as well give it a try. Thanks a lot! 

It's a really good investment. It lets you choose how much you want to reduce the textures by, and it also makes it easy to revert them if it doesn't look good. Even if you do get a better computer, the ability to easily reduce the textures on background characters and props is a lifesaver.

Mattymanx said:

Is your computer a custom build or a pre-build?  If a pre-build, you may want to look it up online to see if others have had the same issue and what they did to fix it.

I just rendered a primitive cube, and my RTX 2080 fan shot into overdrive. I think Daz just isn't that well optimized.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015

Fleeting thought ... have you dusted out the innards recently? Might be time.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,232

Here is an old suggestion. Back in the day, we would take the cooling fan off and clean the top of the processor with a Qtip and alcohol. Use sandpaper and very gently rub the base of the cooler. Very very lightly top of the processor then re-apply the thermal paste. This will allow a very good clean surface for the thermal paste. Thermal paste will dry after about 2-3 years. So maybe a new layer of paste might help with the CPU overheating.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Under the advanced tab in the render settings you can limit how many cores of your CPU DAZ will use for rendering.  Less cores should make less heat, but will also cause rendering to take longer.

• Koromilo said:

Greetings.

Just started using Daz Studio. When I try to render a scene, my CPU temperature jumps to 95°C.

I did some research and tried some settings that were supposed to help. I even folowed this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPHDD9KnS8&t=500s but my CPU reached 95°C before I even started rendering.

I meet the min requirements (barerly) but at this point, it seems there is nothing I can do since upgrading my PC is not an option.

It saddens me, but is giving up my only option? Or is there some other way?

Thank you!

My specs:

CPU - Intel Core i5 4690K

GPU - GeForce GTX 970 @4GB

RAM - 8GB

Do not waste any more of your time.  Upgrade your whole system.  I got the following system for my grandson a couple of months ago, price is the same as what I paid:

https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gaming-RDY-SLMRG206 ;

Alienware also has a really good deal available: https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/gaming-and-games/alienware-aurora-ryzen-edition-r10-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r10-desktop/wdryzr10v11h

For both systems - If you want to add more memory or storage, you can get a find a better deal at Amazon.  Options on the systems are a bit overpriced.

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 164

Change your CPU coller heatsink paste?

Its the overclocking 'K'  version of the CPU that you have.  Have you got it overclocked?  If so, return it to 'stock'  non-overclocked settings perhaps.

• RoobarbRoobarb Posts: 16

My last PC had a 970 and though it has 4GB, it's actually split into 3GB + 1GB, you don't get the entire 4GB to play with. It'll be easy to exceed that, pushing the render out to CPU; Scene Optimiser works well but if you're doing close up on textures you'll still have to trade off quality, textures further from the camera can optimise without much noticable decrease in quality though.

Once you exceed the card the CPU is likely to go to work at 100% which means you'll want to check the cooling; as mentioned above, the first and easiest check is that everything is dust free. Also do a visual check on the CPU cooling fan (if your cooler has a fan), make sure it's really spinning up; your BIOS might also report the fan speed. Dust or failing bearings might slow that down. Also check chassis fans to make sure heat is being exhausted.

Then, as mentioned above, you might want to remove and reapply thermal paste. I'm not sure I'd take an abrasive to it, but you can get a thermal paste removal solvent and thoroughly clean off old paste.

Beyond that, upgrading the GPU would help keep the load off the CPU; even without going mad. I'm using a 1080 which might be considered below the threshold, but with Scene Optimiser I can keep renders on GPU with perfectly fine results. I just managed to get a scene with 3 x Gen 8 plus scenery to render on GPU once background figures etc were optimised at x2

• I used to run Daz with a 4790K and a 970 and I didn't experience this issue.  It does look like it's falling back to CPU though, which almost certainly means you've got too much in your scene.  I think the 970 is OK with two characters in the view, as long as you don't go over the top with scene props and so on.  Any more than that and you really need a graphics card with more RAM.  You can actually buy RTX 2060 with 12GB these days (presumably NVIDIA had a 2060 bin full of chips somewhere).  iRay will use every spare cycle you've got, but these days you can customize it somewhat in advanced settings, i.e. set how many CPUs it uses when it does fall back. 

Something you said got me thinking though.  You said it's at 100% *before* it starts rendering.  This is making me think there's something else going on with your machine over and above the graphics load and not neccessarily Daz related.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,232
    edited April 2022

jmtbank said:

Change your CPU coller heatsink paste?

Its the overclocking 'K'  version of the CPU that you have.  Have you got it overclocked?  If so, return it to 'stock'  non-overclocked settings perhaps. 

I mention that a few posts ago. it Dries up and is no longer effective. Alcohol is non-conductive and dries fast and cleans the old paste residue. Scuffing the surface of the processor and heat sink allows microscopic groves which help dissipate heat efficiently. Old-timers trick from back in the late 80s. Heat sink you can scuff the heck out of, very lightly on the processor, it helps make sure you have a really clean surface.

Edit: I had to underclock my Intel CPU. with a liquid cooler. I was hitting the Thermal Thrttoling point. only when I was rendering and it dropped to CPU.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • you could also look at water cooling.

my GPU kept running at 90 degrees (sometimes heading a bit too close to 100) and recently with an upgrade i switched to water cooling. the gpu now runs at max of around 55-60 and i do a lot of chain renders (one to the next) over long periods of time. my cpu never gets over 70 since the new build, but it's a new cpu so i'm unsure what the practical effects were. however, my previous cpu could run fairly hot.

you can pick up some fairly cheao AIO water cooling options for your cpu these days. i was hesitant to explore water cooling, but the effect on the gpu was pretty phenomenal for my situation and it's worth trying if your current cpu fan is struggling.