Dforce Trees

I would just love to have a selection of different trees that are dforce and can have the wind force applied. I mostly do stills, but nature scenes are always so VERY static if nothing is seen to be swaying at least a little in the background. I know there's an animation out, and there's bendy trees, but that's all just not the same. It's about the leaves and small twigs particularly, they should be moving sideways and up with the wind. I tried myself to get existing trees to accept the wind force properly, but wasn't very successful. So, this would be a great addition to my library.

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,884

dForce is a pretty decent cloth simulator, but it is not at all up to the task of making trees sway in the wind.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,689

Don't know, it does a pretty neat wind job with hair, and not just blowing it straight out in one direction either. If you change the wind node's position and strength during the dforce animation, you get some pretty realistic results. So if there was a way to create passable trees (oh, and grass of course, hadn't even thought of that) from dforce strands like hair ... why not? The big trunk und limbs just wouldn't be weight-mapped to participate, or would even be separate non-dforce objects, since these rarely move IRL when it's not a gale blowing. So it's all about the thin twigs and leaves really, and maybe adding a few bowing morphs to the rest for good measure. That should be possible, no?

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247

A Weeping Willow would be a tree for that type of project :-)

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,689

Catherine3678ab said:

A Weeping Willow would be a tree for that type of project :-)

Exactly my thoughts ;-)  

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,247
    edited July 2021

There are some old willow trees in the store .. and there's one in https://www.daz3d.com/the-orangery which you may have. I haven't time to try it right now but it might take a dforce modifier - may have to adjust the weights on it [make red things that are not to move] and I would recommend removing all the rest of the scene before running the sim. IF it takes, me with this computer would make and save a morph of the animation. Then load in whatever parts of the scene desired and one could also animate the morph [if doing animations]. I hope that works.

I don't have this one ... the willow in there looks like a good candidate {if it doesn't fall to pieces} https://www.daz3d.com/orestes-trees-vol-1

Update: the trees in the orangery are not willing subjects for dforce. One tree lost its trunk!

So yes, this has to be a good idea for a new product: Trees that can be used with dForce!

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on