I'm looking for a specific kind of Crossbow (open to commissioning one)

Hi folks, I'm looking for a specific prop/weapon, and I was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction of where to find one.

What I'm looking for is a very specific kind of crossbow. The best way I could describe it is a standard medieval crossbow, but with a stock, grip, butt, and trigger similar to something like a musket, or WW1 or WW2-era rifle. It's not a modern crossbow I'm looking for, but rather an actual medieval crossbow, just with a modern rifle butt/stock. I've attached a few images to show what I'm talking about.

I've picked up quite a few crossbows from the store (I've even bought products I have no use for, simply because they include a crossbow!), but none of them have really suited what I need. I've tried "kitbashing" different props together, hiding certain parts with "cutout opacity" and retexturing them for a uniform look, but they always look pretty bad.
I'm not even looking for anything particularly fancy or detailed. No swirling, artistic engravings along the frame or anything like that; just a simple, sturdy, utalitarian crossbow. Ideally one with a morph where the string can be left loose or pulled taught (for when it's cocked and loaded), and preferably one where the different parts can be retextured indiviudally (so I can change the wood on the frame, but without affecting the bow, or string, or trigger, etc).

I know it's a bit of a specific request and an odd ask, but if anyone knows where I can find something like that, I'd really appreciate it. Or if you know somebody who would make one for me on commission, I'd be open to exploring that option too!

Thanks in advance!

$_1.jpg
400 x 400 - 23K
23719789_1.jpg
1024 x 579 - 30K
crossbow-3d-model-low-poly-obj-mtl-fbx-blend-dae.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 78K

Comments

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,693

Shouldn't be too hard to make. If nobody else finds an existing one (or has more time to make one sooner), I'll take a crack at it in a few days (or sooner if my promo making for my current set goes quicker).

• Silent Winter said:

Shouldn't be too hard to make. If nobody else finds an existing one (or has more time to make one sooner), I'll take a crack at it in a few days (or sooner if my promo making for my current set goes quicker).

Wow, that'd be great, thanks very much! Appreciate it!

edited July 2021

Well, I did my best for the time I allowed ;) - Surprisingly difficult to texture (not my strongest suit) but hopefully it's okay. Plenty of material zones for re-shading if you want. All moving parts move (drawing the bow and cable is a morph).

I'm not a crossbow expert so if I've misnamed something, I apologise. I'm not sure if the shaft of the bolt should be wood or metal, but you can always use a different shader.

It's sized to go with G8M but you may need to scale it depending on character.

Not perfect but it should do for most uses (just don't stick the camera right up the trigger as I haven't modelled more than a small recess).

Edit: It's now up at sharecg for anyone who wants it: https://sharecg.com/v/97908/view/5/3D-Model/Crossbow-SW

^click for bigger

Crossbow 1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 160K
    Post edited by Silent Winter on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Nice work Silent Winter!

FSMCDesigns said:

Nice work Silent Winter!

• Holy crap, thanks a lot man! It's even better than I hoped! And you didn't have to do it so soon either; I wasn't in a rush for it or anything!

I've played around it with some, and it's exactly what I was looking for! I wouldn't even bother yourself about the textures, I have plenty of shaders that work great on the various parts! And I have a couple of crossbow bolts from other products that work perfectly with it too!

If there's one thing I would like to change, it's the "foot rest", and it's literally just the bars that connect the "foot rest" itself to the frame; it's a bit too narrow to fit your foot into the rest. Is there any chance they could be angled out to the sides slightly, positioned like where the red lines are in the picture I've attached?
    Also, if it's possible to create a simple hand pose that grips it around the stock, near the trigger? For G8 Male and Female, for both the left and right hand?
    Those are the only two changes I'd need, and it would be abosloutely perfect!

Thanks very much Silent Winter, phenomenal stuff!

Screenshot (295) - Copy.png
    1479 x 934 - 730K

The footrest should be an easy fix (now I see what its function is, lol - should have realised sooner that it helps with bracing for drawing the cable but like I said, I'm no crossbow expert) - I'll size it against base G8M's foot and angle it out.

The hand-poses are the thing I don't have time for - it's sadly one of those things that's not automated and would need a wearable preset making and clicking through a bunch of things for each one (4 total for G8M+F L+R).

I'll hopefully get back to you with the updated version later today/tomorrow :)

edited July 2021

Edit: It's now up at sharecg for anyone who wants it: https://sharecg.com/v/97908/view/5/3D-Model/Crossbow-SW

All I did was move some vertices and enlarge the foot rest bar. Anything more, such as adding more edge-loops, would have resulted in having to re-rig the whole thing.

As it is, it looks okay from a distance. If you need a smoother bend in the rest, just add sub-d (Edit>Figure>Geometry>Convert to SubD). Level one seems to be enough (see pic below).

Hope that's okay now :)

Crossbow 02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 168K
  • It's perfect, man.

No worries about the hand poses; I can pose the hands and position the crossbow manually - the automatic pose just would have saved me a few minutes is all!

Honestly man, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much Silent Winter, I wasn't holding out much hope to get anything nearly as good as this!

edited July 2021

Glad you like it :)