I am both thick and dense.

Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I am struggling to understand how to effectively use haze in an image. What in Bryce is the difference between thickness and density? I would like to use haze to give depth to an image, for distant objects/terrains to blue out, but instead all I seem to get is the whole image in a higher key with less contrast. I would be grateful for help on how to make haze something other than a fat white line on the horizon or a destroyer of color saturation.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 2014

@asterlil - Density sets the "humidity" of the atmosphere, thick on the ground and fading with height. Thickness controls how fast the haze increases with distance. Base Height adjusts the overall density of haze. Cumulus Cloud Height controls how high the fog reaches up, even if the clouds are disabled. With Color Perspective you set how the haze colour changes with distance and using Blend with Sun brings in colour and brightness at the sun's direction into the haze. Don't forget that you can also set the colour of the haze.

Perhaps you use an empty scene and change just one control at the time and see what happens, then use the next one. Do it in the Atmosphere tab of the Sky Lab.

Post edited by Horo on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2014

IF it's any help with settings I could sort out the settings I used in theses 2 images, especially the 2nd, and let you have a screenshot or two

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/250
    http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/258

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

@horo, thank you for the explanation. I'll experiment as you suggested, but more intelligently than before....

@chohole, those are lovely images and the second one is exactly what I was aspiring to!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Some random notes I had written down about haze that may or may not help when working with it:

To make the white line on horizon blend better with the sky: Set cloud height for cumulus at max, even if you don’t use the clouds. Switch cumulus on, set cloud height to max and switch them off. This distributes the haze more upwards instead of just a bright line at the horizon.
    The haze color can also be set to more closely match the sky and make it less obvious.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

My sky lab settings

sky_lab_3.jpg
    626 x 536 - 138K
    sky_lab_2.jpg
    626 x 536 - 138K
    skylab_for_misty_mountains.jpg
    626 x 536 - 154K
  • Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

Right. I did a simple scene and confirmed to my own satisfaction what Horo said, and got additional help from Chohole's screen grabs.
    The image confirms that Bryce is obeying some laws of nature, at least; with distance, the haze tends to pick up the color of sky and "blue out." I applied the mediterranean material to a Horo terrain -- that closely duplicates the coloring of the Capitan Mts. in New Mexico -- and got pretty much just what I wanted.

It's 10:30 p.m. Mountain Time. Almost out of 2014. Happy New Year!

hazetest.jpg
    580 x 375 - 61K