Latest Beta

JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I never got around to downloading the latest C8.5 beta. I don't use all of that content management stuff, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Anyone notice any important improvements that didn't show up in the change log?

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

I never got around to downloading the latest C8.5 beta. I don't use all of that content management stuff, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Anyone notice any important improvements that didn't show up in the change log?

From what I've been able to gather, the beta won't run unless you have installed the PostgresSQL implementation of the Content Management Service (CMS). I have not, since the Postgres version will not function with the production version of Carrara.

The older CMS, referred to as "Valentina", apparently does not work with the beta even though it is stated that both PostgresSQL and Valentina are supposed to work.

For me, the beta launches then immediately crashes. I'm not willing to mess up my working Valentina CMS to beta test.

There don't seem to be many other improvements, according to the first post in the beta thread, and I've not heard anyone mention any other advantages.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I have both versions working on the same machine.
    When you upgrade to the Postfres DB you still have Valentina running.
    I did have to have DAZ studio re import the DB then It all worked fine.

I did the monthly Carrara Challenge in the new Beta Version.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

I don't use smart content either. I do use the vertex modeler in Carrara. They did a fix for the duplicate with symmetry function that fixes the normals on the duplicated mesh. That matters a lot to me. Don't get the sense that anyone else really cares about the duplicate with symmetry command.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I don't use smart content either. I do use the vertex modeler in Carrara. They did a fix for the duplicate with symmetry function that fixes the normals on the duplicated mesh. That matters a lot to me. Don't get the sense that anyone else really cares about the duplicate with symmetry command.
    I do, and I'm relieved that got fixed!

Yeah, the first beta release was mainly just a test with Postgre CMS. The other fixes were done so came along for the ride. At least that's how I read it to be.