re-installing

hello!! i changed my computer, i reinstall, after windiws, carrara, and poser which is just used as "deposit" for daz objects... Is there a way to transfer from the hard drive of the old computer the "content", or do I have to reinstall all the objects, animals, people, etc., one by one??? and if it is possible to do it by transferring from one drive to another, where is it located??? thanks for your help!

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Just copy the content over using the same structure as your previous computer.. should be good to go then smiley

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

If you've used the Daz Install Manager to install your products, and intend to use it on this computer, I would suggest installing your content from scratch using DIM again. Otherwise it won't know what you have - and it is an Awesome database of your content: always being there to tell us where our content is located.

If not, sure. You can simply copy over your Install folder of Carrara to get anything that was installed after the initial installation - and when it asks about duplicate files, just select the "Skip Files" option.

Carrara things that you may have saved on your own are most likely found in:

My Documents > DAZ 3D > Carrara

Copying those to the same location will add them again to the Carrara browser.

When I used Poser, if you installed everything to its default location, that would be C > Program Files > Smith Micro (or whatever) > Poser > Runtime

Carrara is located at C > Program Files > DAZ 3D > Carrara

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I recently built a new computer and copied everything over, but in the end I just decided to reinstall everything using DIM.

Stezza then replied with a way of installing to a secondary drive, and then just copying over a control file for DIM onto the new computer, which tells DIM where everything was already installed - and it's just like it always was. Although I've taken that advice and installed everything to its own drive, I've never had to reimplement it yet, so I don't recall how blush

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

you can copy over your carrara browser tray by copying over the preferences text,  if you maintain the same drive letter and folder heirarchy

in win10 path is this the path to preference files

C:\Users\your windows user name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8.5

preferences.txt

screenshot references here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/362626/reference-for-adding-folders-to-tray