using Daz3d content items...converting, etc. for use in Iclone.

lenwilderlenwilder Posts: 188
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have been watching the sale promotions since I came on board with Carrara.

Carrara does a lot of extra things for what I am doing that arent' available in iclone, my tool of choice for producing video.
When I am more familiar with Carrara I could very well revert to it as my choicie for video production. I have three years of experience working with iclone...I am familiar with it and my workflow is good.
Iclone has an excellent application for converting content (3DXchange) from Daz3d content, but I'm not familiar with how well it works.
I have converted some FBX and OBJ files into iclone using the 3Dxchange on a limited basis,but the files were not from Daz3d.

How well do Daz3d application content items convert? This may be a question for someone experienced with Carrara and iclone.
There are some buildings and content items for creating scenes I am interested to use, but I'm not sure they will convert properly.
There are some very good explanations/tutors available for converting avatar/characters into iclone.
I may tackle characters in the near future. I am in need of buildings, scenes and props for current projects.

I sometimes use Sketchup models that I convert to iclone. I cannot do much with them, because iclone is not a model builder/editor.
The things you can do with it are limited in that respect. That is why my interest in Carrara and other Daz3d applications.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Wendy would be the one to talk to here!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

For DAZ figures and content exporting from the free DAZ studio your best option for iClone especially genesis where you can use the facial preset from Reallusion to automate the process.
    Certainly carrara can also export FBX but it is better for carrara created content or stuff rigged in carrara as well as third party stuff like (lightwave) lwo, 3ds files etc DAZ studio cannot import, than Genesis and G2M & F
    it will also if you have C8.5 import rigged animated iClone figures from 3dx5 pipeline as FBX.
    DAZ studio cannot do that.
    I myself bring the included iClone figures etc into Carrara and if I want to use features like replicators and hair.
    It is my prefered app for any non-genesis stuff in particular like V4 & M4, Genesis and Genesis 2 I probably use more in iClone often with carrara rendered backgrounds.
    Actually I also render animated backgrounds for iClone in carrara including using the spherical camera to put on sky props.

• lenwilderlenwilder Posts: 188
    edited December 2014

For DAZ figures and content exporting from the free DAZ studio your best option for iClone especially genesis where you can use the facial preset from Reallusion to automate the process.

Certainly carrara can also export FBX but it is better for carrara created content or stuff rigged in carrara as well as third party stuff like (lightwave) lwo, 3ds files etc DAZ studio cannot import, than Genesis and G2M & F
    it will also if you have C8.5 import rigged animated iClone figures from 3dx5 pipeline as FBX.
    DAZ studio cannot do that.

I myself bring the included iClone figures etc into Carrara and if I want to use features like replicators and hair.
    It is my prefered app for any non-genesis stuff in particular like V4 & M4, Genesis and Genesis 2 I probably use more in iClone often with carrara rendered backgrounds.

Actually I also render animated backgrounds for iClone in carrara including using the spherical camera to put on sky props.

--------------------------

If I purchase and download some Daz3d content items, buildings or props what should I look for in the content item information?

I notice there are references to .DUF files, etc.
    If the information says obj, fbx would those items import into 3Dxchange or do I first have to run them through Daz3d, and export from there into 3dxchange?

Better still, are there things I should look for that will export. Even, if i have to run them through Daz3d studio or Carrara first , before passing through 3Dxchange?

My interest is to acquire some content items in Daz3d shop and use in iclone.
    It might be important to also know what to look for in the shop, if I want to just use items with Carrara.

I plan to import some Daz3d characters into iclone via 3dxchange at some point. When 3dxchange 6 is released there should be more options for importing content files and converting for use in iclone.

Post edited by lenwilder on
    edited December 1969

Anything duf works in DAZ studio and most can be FBX exported from there for iClone.
    Poser props are best exported as obj from Studio but often have more subpropping ability if exported from carrara however textures do not always export over.
    Carrara 8.5 will load both duf and legacy Poser format pz2/cr2 etc but not P8+ weight painted as is (Fenric has a conversion script if you have Poser) or DSON, those items best imported as duf files.

edited December 1969

Yes if it has an obj file as an option use that in 3dxchange

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

lenwilder said:
    IHow well do Daz3d application content items convert?

All Poser and Daz content and figures are easily exportable to iClone if you have DXChange 5 pipeline. Just export them from Daz as FBX. While in DXChange 5, you can even break props or sets into parts so they will be manipulated easier in iClone (read documentation). I do it all the time. If you export as FBX, the files come in iClone impeccably with all textures. You can always try to export-import as OBJ, but with mixed results.