waves

for my next project i want to create stormy sea waves. Are there any tutorials or ideas on how to best do it? similar to the picture
Thanks

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited July 2021

you can dial up the waves on the ocean primitive.  can use modifiers to increase the intensity of the waves.

carrara ocean foams using shaders

https://carraracafe.com/tutorial-ocean-with-easily-animated-foam/

Post edited by Mistara on
  • KhoeKhoe Posts: 308

i think the waves are to soft. i nead more power of storm.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2021

You can use the terrain editor and then replicate the terrain in the 'regular' replicator (not the surface replicator) using with Seamless checkbox.  Playing with the terrain modeler generators and filters will give you the shape of the sea.  You can then use a multichannel mixer for the shader.  Use the slope and height settings under the environment channel to isolate foamy areas for the crests of the waves.

See this example by FractalDimensia in a previous challenge WIP thread.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/405003/#Comment_405003

The example is not stormy, but you can increase the roughness and adjust the shader.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited July 2021

Fluidos!  Yes, good one, Wendy, click Fluidos in the above post to go to the Carrara free plugin. So generous of Alvin Bemar to offer a free Carrara version.

There is also a Carrara Seas product by PhilW. - https://www.daz3d.com/carrara-realistic-seas-2

aa00 philw realistic seas.jpg
    1376 x 939 - 183K
    edited July 2021

Here is an example of using the terrain editor.

- start new scene and insert a default terrain.  In the terrain modeler, note that the terrain dimensions is 100 feet by 100 feet.  You can adjust that for your scene if you find distracting repitition.

- increase the preview and render quality to taste for the detail of your ocean.  I would start with 512 but you can adjust later as appropriate for your scene.  

- under filters, delete the default mountain generator. 

- Click add to get a new null.  Choose advanced generator, fractals.  Choose ridged noise and hetero.  Your result is likely too rough at the default height of 20.

- Reduce the height and adjust roughness to taste.  Here I have set the height to 7.  The ridged noise gives a decent impression of a wave, in my opinion.  But you can play with the fractals to taste.

- Back in the assembly room, translate your default terrain out of the way (in this case I moved it down and to the side.)

- Insert a replicator (not the surface replicator).

- In the replicator modeler, choose the grid option at the top, set the terrain for the replicated object, match the cell sizes to the terrain size (remember 100 default?), and check the box for seamless.

- Now when you return to the assemble room the bounding boxes of the replicated terrain grid should match up

- A test render shows the default terrain shader does not look like a sea but the landscape is undulating like waves

- For the shader, I would start with a multichannel mixer to isolate the water and the foam.  Other approaches could be good like a layer''s list.

- Here is an example of a multichannel mixer with simple blue and white shaders.  For the blender, I recommend using the environment channel options for height and slope.  You will have to adjust the height quite a bit because the terrain is so low.

- and here is a test render with a simple blue shader with white on the top of relatively high crests.  

- you will have to find some water and foam shaders to substitute for the blue and white

aa01 terrain editor advanced generator fractals.jpg
    1737 x 923 - 157K
    aa02 ridged noise hetero fractal.jpg
    1752 x 1000 - 370K
    aa03 reduced height to 7 played with roughness ridged noise hetero.jpg
    1846 x 1030 - 354K
    aa04 replicator regular.jpg
    1845 x 1006 - 158K
    aa05 regular replicator set to grid then terrain as reolicated object match grid cell size to terrain size default 100 check box seamless.jpg
    1793 x 1003 - 150K
    aa06 bounding boxes match up.jpg
    1465 x 723 - 204K
    aa07 test render looks patterned.jpg
    640 x 480 - 67K
    aa08 shader mixer for foamy top use environment elevation and slope.jpg
    1772 x 1018 - 254K
    aa09 blue and white shader with height and slope multiplier.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Looking forward to this ! Nice examples Diomede.

• with terrain

strormtossed1.png
    1440 x 1080 - 1M

shlomi laszlo said:

with terrain

Beautifully haunting!  

Here is another sea done with a terrain.  Unfortunately, I have lost track of the recipe I used for the shader for the white caps of the cresting waves.  I still laugh at this one.  I did this for the annual 'Its Raining Men' challenge.  There was a side challenge for repurposing women's clothing in some way.  This image is supposed to be Ulysses escaping the goddess/nymph Circe.  He is using her panties as a sail.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

my mind is hearing sci fi funk's  voice saying good ole michael lol

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Khoe said:

for my next project i want to create stormy sea waves. Are there any tutorials or ideas on how to best do it? similar to the picture
    Thanks

this would make a good challenge enlightened

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 308

oh Thanks at all for the many good tips. :) I test :)

• a new version

strormtossed1a.png
    1440 x 1080 - 1M