Transferring V4 morphs to G8F/G8.1F

Hi Everyone!

I've searched all over the forums and I just can't seem to find this issue addressed, so I hope you can help me!
I have a few characters from WAAAAY back in the V4 days that I am dying to use on the G8.1 model... is there any way to transfer those morphs from V4 to G8.1? I've seen Sickleyield's excellent tutorial about getting G1 over to more recent models, but what about the V4?

I appreciate any and all help and suggestions... thank you so much!!

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209

They haven't yet created the plugin that transfers morphs to 8.1, you need the one for G8 and I think someone came up with a tutorial for transferring from 8 to 8.1, most likely you will find the information in the freebies section or in the commons forum.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,991
    edited July 2021

nm, sorry, the set only went to G3.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited July 2021

It can be done for free without any products.  You have to convert V4 to weight mapping in the scene tab button first (edit--rigging--convert figure to weight mapping--general weight mapping).

Pose V4 to match the shape of G8F as close as possible.

Start Transfer Utility.  Set distance tolerance to 0.6, expand options, UNCHECK everything but morph targets, to the right choose "ALL."

Uncheck fit to etc. below.  Click accept.

Now all the morphs that were injected on V4 are on G8, but they are there as many different body components.  You have to put in the same value for all of them.  If I were invested in this I'd probably select them all and freeze their ERC for a given full body morph to make a dial, but anyway I attach a picture of V4 Amazon and V4 Amazon on G8F.  This is without using my V4 clone or anything, just with using Transfer Utility, posing, and "Current" under shape.

You can see that the shoulders/arms of G8F end up looking skinnier than they should, so I would probably compensate that with the Body Morphs for G8F if I were using this for real in a render.  

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited July 2021

If you do use the V4 clone for G8 and put it under the G8 side dropdown under Clone, you get this.  It does help the arm problem a bit.

v4morphong8.jpg
    590 x 768 - 157K
    v4morphong8clone.jpg
    587 x 757 - 153K
    edited July 2021

Thank you Sickleyield :-)

And I found a free V4 clone for G8F over here. {link removed by C. as this may not be as legit a source as first thought}

edited July 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

And I found a free V4 clone for G8F over here.  [link removed]

Clones for Daz3d figures aren't supposed to be distributed outside the Daz store under the license, if memory serves (any more than HD items are).  Good old Renderhub, not giving a darn about other people's copyrights.  Of course, they do have a "game rips" section where they straight up sell assets they stole directly from videogames, so I guess that should come as no surprise.

edited July 2021

SickleYield said:

Catherine3678ab said:

And I found a free V4 clone for G8F over here. {link removed by C.}

Clones for Daz3d figures aren't supposed to be distributed outside the Daz store under the license, if memory serves (any more than HD items are).  Good old Renderhub, not giving a darn about other people's copyrights.  Of course, they do have a "game rips" section where they straight up sell assets they stole directly from videogames, so I guess that should come as no surprise.

Well as 'we the people' do not have access to their mailboxes, if they have or don't have permission that's between them and the company. As far as what's being illegally redistributed there are sites to be more concerned about that have about half of the Daz3D store up for grabs. 

As to the game rips, yeah that's annoying. But at least they plainly list that so we can avoid those downloads.

edited July 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

SickleYield said:

Catherine3678ab said:

And I found a free V4 clone for G8F over here. [removed link]

Well as 'we the people' do not have access to their mailboxes, if they have or don't have permission that's between them and the company. As far as what's being illegally redistributed there are sites to be more concerned about that have about half of the Daz3D store up for grabs. 

As to the game rips, yeah that's annoying. But at least they plainly list that so we can avoid those downloads.

My clones in the Daz3d store for V4M4 came out in February 2018. Renderhub lists the publication date of theirs as March 2020. I'm not privy to anyone's inbox either, but I think the chance that Daz approved a free clone to compete with the one already selling well in their own store is extremely low.

edited July 2021

SickleYield said:

Catherine3678ab said:

SickleYield said:

Catherine3678ab said:

And I found a free V4 clone for G8F over here. [edited by C.]

My clones in the Daz3d store for V4M4 came out in February 2018. Renderhub lists the publication date of theirs as March 2020. I'm not privy to anyone's inbox either, but I think the chance that Daz approved a free clone to compete with the one already selling well in their own store is extremely low.

I agree however this isn't the first time said clone has been mentioned in the forums and it's still there. 

edited to add image:

Actually this clone apparently was made in 2018. Hmmm ... and this is interesting too ... comes with an .obj! Hmmm ... think we're going to edit some posts ;-)

There should be 3 images attached to this post.

Made by Max.png
    1102 x 555 - 39K
    empty readme.png
    639 x 163 - 10K
    appears to have made their own.png
    561 x 247 - 27K

Store search sure leaves a bit to be desired. Okay ... so going by PA's name ... yes, now we can find V4 Clones for G8,

https://www.daz3d.com/sy-victoria-4-and-michael-4-clones-for-genesis-8  ;-)

Thanks for the link!

The other issue with the free clone is that they do include an obj, which is something I think I can fairly say Daz3d would never authorize - they keep a tight hold on the geometry rights for their figures.  I don't think the freebie maker ripped off my specific clone, it's more likely they used Transfer Utility to copy the G3 one, but it's still not legit.

So if I understand this correctly, no clone is to be sold except the one's made by Daz vendors and in the Daz store, is this right?

So that means I can't make my own clone and sell it?

Bare in mind I have no idea how clones are made, I assume they are morphs.

Faeryl Womyn said:

So if I understand this correctly, no clone is to be sold except the one's made by Daz vendors and in the Daz store, is this right?

You can make your own clones for your own use. In order to sell or redistribute them, you would need specific permission from the copyright holder(s) of the mesh shape you are cloning.

Everybody knows I've got some auto-fit clones which are being redistributed WITH the permission of the company.

Be especially careful if working between shapes that come from different companies and/or creators. Not all want their clones being ported over to the Genesis' clans and vice versa. Permissions in such cases would have to be from both owners. There were some clones over at HiveWire but usually what one will find are tutorials on how to make your own.

• Faeryl Womyn said:

An X clone for Y (where X is the figure being cloned and Y is the figure with the clone as an option) can be distributed only with permission from the owners of X (since it's a copy of their shape)

Ok got it, thank you both.

• Blacky13Blacky13 Posts: 67

Holy cow, thanks SickleYield... as always YOU RULE.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835

SickleYield said:

Now all the morphs that were injected on V4 are on G8, but they are there as many different body components.  You have to put in the same value for all of them.  If I were invested in this I'd probably select them all and freeze their ERC for a given full body morph to make a dial,

What you will have is one valueParm as the master dial, 60+ alias dials where the targetGeom used to be, and 60+ targetGeom in the body, usually under Morphs/Imported, which are all hidden, and the same again for every other morph you convert.

One addition would be not to save any of that crap, instead once the morph has been tranfered export it as an OBJ, then use Morph Loader to add it to a clean copy of G8F loaded into a new scene.

• DreamWeeverDreamWeever Posts: 157

SickleYield said:

It can be done for free without any products.  You have to convert V4 to weight mapping in the scene tab button first (edit--rigging--convert figure to weight mapping--general weight mapping).

Start Transfer Utility.  Set distance tolerance to 0.6, expand options, UNCHECK everything but morph targets, to the right choose "ALL."

Now all the morphs that were injected on V4 are on G8, but they are there as many different body components.  You have to put in the same value for all of them.  If I were invested in this I'd probably select them all and freeze their ERC for a given full body morph to make a dial, but anyway I attach a picture of V4 Amazon and V4 Amazon on G8F.  This is without using my V4 clone or anything, just with using Transfer Utility, posing, and "Current" under shape.

You can see that the shoulders/arms of G8F end up looking skinnier than they should, so I would probably compensate that with the Body Morphs for G8F if I were using this for real in a render.  

I have been trying to use this to transfer a V4 morph to G8F and I can not get it to work, am I missing something? 

DreamWeever said:

SickleYield said:

I have been trying to use this to transfer a V4 morph to G8F and I can not get it to work, am I missing something? 

What exactly happens when you try?

SickleYield said:

DreamWeever said:

SickleYield said:

What exactly happens when you try?

Absolutely nothing. V4 converts to the weight mapping fine and to all intents and purposes the transfer utility does its thing but G8F does not change shape nor do any new morph dials show up anywhere.   

edited June 2022
    Do you have Show Hidden on? G8 isn't going to change visible shape on its own. You would have to find all the component body part dials and dial them in. They'd be under the V4 heading names, not under Actor.

SickleYield said:

Do you have Show Hidden on?

I am sure I did check that too but now you have me wondering lol. I will give it another try today, (once I am awake enough to deal with DS), and report back.

Thanks SickleYield for being so helpful and patient :)  

SickleYield said:

Do you have Show Hidden on? G8 isn't going to change visible shape on its own. You would have to find all the component body part dials and dial them in. They'd be under the V4 heading names, not under Actor.

I just tried again and have looked everywhere and there is nothing showing up, hidden or otherwise. I even went so far as exporting the V4 morphed shape as obj then loading that back to V4 with morph loader under a name I would know to search by with no luck. I am sure I am just missing some small simple thing but for the life of me I can't work out what 

edited June 2022
    No worries, we'll figure it out. Can you take a screenshot of your Parameters tab on the G8 after you have done the transfer from V4 with Transfer Utility?

SickleYield said:

No worries, we'll figure it out. Can you take a screenshot of your Parameters tab on the G8 after you have done the transfer from V4 with Transfer Utility?

Sure just give me a few minutes

SickleYield said:

Oh I feel such a dunce lol I was right I had missed a step, I got it to work this time but it made a right mess of the morph so I'll need to try something else  

• I have some tools that someone on DeviantArt made that'll convert "Legacy" to Genesis 3, and then another tool from the same person that'll do G3 to G8.

Can't tell you much more about it since I've long since lost that info, but I probably gave you enough info to Google it.