Script - Plugins thougths about DS 5

MikeDMikeD Posts: 291

I have some thoughts about DS 5 and scripts/plugins (normally It should be a common thread for scripting and plugins but I don't know if this can be in two categories at the same time - Richard I don't know if any moderator magic could do this... laugh).

I have send these thoughts to DAZ and they suggested to make a thread in the coders forums to have all scripters/developers participate and of course all DAZ developers that watch this forum.

Well ...

.... Many customers are skeptical about updating the DS into new versions (as history has shown), so I am expecting a very long transition time from DS 4 to DS 5. I also take it as certain that the most of us (coders) will update any broken script/plug in, to be DS 5 compatible. For a very long time we will have three groups of customers (one using only DS 4, one using DS 5 and one using both of them in parallel as DS 5 will be installed in a new folder). If we update the scripts and the plug ins into DS 5 we will have a great number of customers that would have stuck into DS 4, without the possibility to download the scripts/plugins they have bought into DS 4 as the updates will work only for DS 5. Someone who already downloaded the DS 4 version will have the option NOT to download the update, but if someone want to download the script for any reason, he is forced to install the new version only. My suggestion is to have the updates as new items in DIM (like the .objs etc) for example: MD_Wireframe_DS5_Compatible, so the customers could choose what version they want. The scripts and plug-ins are relatively small files, so I don't think that this path would weight down DAZ Servers. I am interesting to hear your thought about this issue (like any other coders I think) ...

- Mike

Post edited by MikeD on

Comments

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 363

Are you familiar with how a DAZ script file takes precedence over a Poser material file if they have the same filename?

• ABC.pp2
    • ABC.dsa

In this example, the .pp2 file is hidden in the Content Library.

If the script engine is different enough that it cannot support both versions of code in one file with just a version check (which you already have to do to support various versions of DS4), I think it would make more sense to add a new file extension and do the same thing.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 363

Plugins are already distributed in DIM this way and so should already be immune from this issue.