Don't Forget Subdivision Smoothing

JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

One of those details things I tend to forget, but it's a great feature, especially if your model or content or whatever is relatively low poly and shows ragged edges as a result.

Even if you're working with purchased, rigged content you can crank up the subdivision smoothing on the object and it might look significantly better in your renders.

Just click on the Model in the Instances tab, go into the Modeller, select the entire object, and you'll see the subdivision smoothing sliders. Crank it up to 1 or 2, and it will increase the apparent poly count and do a smoothing algorithm on the object.

Here's a before and after of a t-shirt to show how smooth the edges become after a subdivision smoothing operation. With the ragged edges it's a fairly blatant subconscious giveaway that this is a 3D render, but the smoothing does a nice job.

Capture.JPG
619 x 170 - 19K

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Good point Joe. It's something I try and remember, but inevitably forget until I get to a certain point in the render when the problem presents itself. Then I usually cancel the render, apply the smoothing and start over.

I should also point out, this isn't just for clothes. Many times there are issues with various props in the scene as well. It doesn't matter if they are pre-made or your own.