New Computer/Old Content not showing up in Smart Content or searchable in Content Library

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,382

It's been a LOOONG time since I've had to re-install content. I think I did a pretty good job of bringing it all over from my old computer. I saved it on an external hard drive and just copied it into the same destination folders as my old one. I can find all my stuff in Content Library, all my old scenes pull up fine except for any customizing I did (posters/pictures, my own textures, stuff I have in my own Materials folder and I can re-apply those) My problem was when I went to re-apply a Daz material I searched "uniform" like I normally do for that outfit and no result came up. I found the uniform and its materials where they should be in the folder structure but how do I make my content searchable again? Like when I'm looking for a particular drinking glass, I search "glass" or "beer". Also, my smart content is basically empty too. My first thought was well, I need to go back to DIM and install it all again but aren't they all already installed?

I know "Where's my stuff?!" threads are the worst but I kinda already know where my stuff is. I just want the Daz software to know too and let me look for it the same way. It would really suck to have to hunt through my entire prop library looking for the right wine glass or TV.

Comments

• Did you back up the database, with all applications that use it closed, from the old system and then restore it, again with al client applications closed, on the new?

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,382
    edited July 2021

Not sure what that means so I'm gonna say no lol. No I didn't.

I copied all the stuff from the file that DIM put all my stuff in under "C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library" then I put it in the same folder on my new computer.

Then I took all the scene and prop files that I saved/made on my old computer and put them in the corresponding folder on my new computer. And they all pull up fine.

My Smart Content is just empty, Content Library doesn't let me search and my Shader Presets that I used to find under the Surface Tab are gone. (I didn't realize this in my original post)

Anyway, those are the only things I did and the problems I'm having. Like I said, it's been FOREVER since I've had to mess with any of this. RE-Installing, "Where's my Content?" headache stuff. There may be some new advancements? An AI Client you said?

It's like someone took everything in my kitchen and put it in someone elses kitchen and I REALLY want to cook.

Post edited by DDCreate on

And if you need screen shots or for me to explain a little better, just let me know. I'm DYING to use this thing. I upgraded my whole system. My old one had a GTX 960 and this one has an RTX 3060. An RTX 3060 Richard! You know what I'm sayin?! This is like when my nephew got a new game system for Christmas and it wasn't done updating or installing or whatever until bed time. I didn't understand then, but I do now. It actually DOES hurt. cheeky

• Do you still have the old system? If so open Edit>Preferences>CMS Settings and note the location of the content Cluster. Now close DS, DIM, etc. and make sure there is no postgresql process running in Task Manager (you will need to have show details on to check). If everything is OK copy the location you noted to the new PC, doesn't have to be in the same folder (but if you do reuse the location, make sure that there is no postgresql running and clear it out so there are no left-overs. Assuming you used a new place for the copied files, on the new PC use Edit>Preferences>CMS Settings and set the ContentCluster location to the folder you moved across.

edited July 2021

Okay, still kinda lost but I'm with you on the stuff you wanted me to find and do. The first picture shows where my old computer says my stuff was. "The Moon" part of the path, that's just my old computer name. And I assume patri is my new computer name. But here's the thing, the pathway on the new computer says OneDrive. I actually had to uninstall one drive from my computer because it was interfering with my files and I never really used it. So I'm not sure WHAT to do now. I mean, is using a pathway that includes a now deleted "app" or whatever a good idea? I don't know. Based on what you see though, what do I do next? And THANK YOU so much for your help so far.

Oh and the 3rd pic was just me showing that I ended all the postgrql whatever things that were running.

OldComp.JPG
    931 x 736 - 33K
    NewComp.PNG
    812 x 737 - 48K
    Postthing.PNG
    999 x 889 - 65K
    edited July 2021

And as you see here, the new computer doesn't have the same pathway options as the old one. C:User/ComputerName/AppData is how the old one reads but the new computer doesn't have an AppData folder. Just wanted to throw that out there for informational purposes.

NewCompPath.PNG
    987 x 892 - 48K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,295

AppData is a hidden folder and if you haven't enabled showing hidden files in Windows Explorer, you can't see it.

• The new one isn't showing the default path anyway, is that where you placed the imported ContentCluster folder?

edited July 2021

Uh oh. I didn't copy a Cluster Folder. I just noted the location of the old one.

And just to be clear, I DO have all my content in my Content Library tab. Remember how I mentioned not being able to search "Glass" in Content Library and get a result? I've been looking under the Products Tab in Smart content and clicking the download button. As a result, when I search "glass" now in Content Library, theres my wineglass. So I guess what I'm asking is how to update my metadata? I think, I'm not positive that's the right term. But I think I had to do this a few years ago when my system crashed. Nothing was deleted but I had to tell my computer where to find it all again, same in Daz. But I don't think I had to go through item by item. I think there was some command in Daz like "Import Metadata"? Is this making sense?

Smart.PNG
    619 x 1028 - 304K
    Content Lib.PNG
    663 x 986 - 211K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited July 2021

Re-Import metadata? If thats what your thinking then yes you do need to do that.

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited July 2021

OKAY!!! I think I might have stumbled on it myself. Instead of searching under Database, I switched it to "File" and there's all my stuff! See attached and tell me if I'm right or if it just appears that way. This solved my searching problem.

That said, i'd love to update or re-import or whatever but I can't see where to do that. I've been looking through the tabs and haven't come across it yet. This will probably solve my lack of Smart Content problem.

Capture.PNG
    664 x 1001 - 236K

So I've got my Metadata reinstalled or updated. Found it. But not all the content is there. There used to be a bunch of options under Pose by function like Walking, Standing, Kneeling, Kicking, Action, blah blah...there are only a few now and only a fraction of poses I've bought. Same with Materials>Iray>Eyes. I used to have all the eyes from my characters there but not anymore. This is progress though! Do you know how i might get that stuff back?

!!!!ALRIGHT!!!!

I want to thank ALL of you for your help and suggestions. I don't know how or what happened but I FINALLY have all of my stuff back and in the places I'm used to them being. Back in action, ready to rock and roll ect...

Hope all have a great weekend!!