Making Skins tutorial, Part 1, Part 2 - painting skins

Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010
edited August 2021 in Freebies

Part 1 is in the proof-reading basket released! Covers the making of a texturing aid for Irises. Using the 3D painting program, Textura, I quickly realized that in order to "paint" a nice Iris texture on G8's Irises, there was a matter that required some help. So I made a texturing aid to address that matter. And that was to have a solid surface so a centered brush stroke would correctly place a texture on the model. The uvset of this texturing aid is close to that of G8's template ... for one. It is expected that one would then take their work into an image editor to make additional copies and further polishing of course to complete their work.

While waiting for the .pdf to be released I have released a template set for G8M, G8F and the Texturing Aid itself.

Sharecg.com links:

The Texturing Aid for Irises

Templates for G8M, base male uvset

Templates for G8F, base female uvset

Making Skins, Part One - Iris Texturing Aid

Making Skins, Part Two - Starting the Skins

3DCoatTextura has a 30 day free trial period, and then limits are applied while one may continue learning how to use the program for free indefinitely.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,278

Thank you for these, very helpful.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010

You're quite welcome :-)

edited July 2021

Hi guys,

Sharecg.com's um, what do you call these people who don't check details ... have decided that because 4 files had the same picture, {not noting the content} that they must have been 4 identical uploads and so they have so thoughtfully removed the first 3 items on the list. I have replied to their email. I am not happy with them at the moment.

Okay :-) They put 'em back.

Part Two is in the editing basket. Covers quite a bit.

While waiting, you may wish to locate some "clothing pictures" or "skin details" or whatever to have for trying out in Textura. Also if wanting paint on details such as for zippers, stitches, etc. watch the sales over at ArtStation, etc. Be careful though - a lot of stuff can only be used in Substance or Zbrush, etc. As long as the "alphas" are .png, .tiff, .psd or .obj - they have a chance for working in Textura. Look for the free samples some provide.

edited July 2021

Part Two is now in the final proof-reading basket :-) whew! I think I covered too many topics in it but anyways it's done. Making some skin starters using Textura and by using HeadShop 14. I go over the situation concerning what is happening with the textures being created by HeadShop 14. This is not a discussion about which program morphs better than another. This tutorial is about making textures.

I do include a little tip I came across in how to remove an unwanted section of a morph from a morph.

For fun there is also a section showing how photo images can be used to apply details {such as clothing, "etc."} to figures. Use of an image editor that works with layers is pretty much mandatory for any amount of texturing work. Textura can be linked to programs such as PhotoShop and PaintShopPro, and maybe some others. I suggest only sending over one mapped area at a time because the first time I tried using this feature I had set the entire lot over. It went over to PSP no problems. It was the coming back part, I don't know if I had tried to switch between programs too soon or if it was all just too much, but yes, yours truly crashed the programs!

And then a very small bonus section about shopping :-) I like shopping. I think that should be declared an Olympic sport or something. How much can you spend and how fast an in one store you know ;-) No returning stuff though, gotta play fair ;-)

It's been a long hot stressful week, I hope everybody has a nice peaceful weekend, Part Two is expected to be released sometime this weekend.

Part 2 promo.png
    348 x 492 - 98K
    edited July 2021

Here it is "as is" ... sorry guys I'm sick today, so hopefully I didn't miss any big boo-boos in it.

https://sharecg.com/v/97957/view/3/PDF-Tutorial/Making-Skins-Part-Two

Programs used include: Daz Studio, Headshop 14, 3DCoat Textura.

• There is an update out for Textura ... the Brush tool is now named, are you ready, the Brush tool :-)

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

As always, you're a gem, Catherine. I Look forward to having a look at these :)

• Thank you Torquinox, hopefully most [maybe everybody, maybe somebody] finds some useful idea or tip.