Changing the DIM Content Database Base location

Changing the DIM Content Database Base location

I am trying to set up DIM in a way that will put everything important on my D:, to survive Windows reinstalls or getting a new PC (so I don't have to download and reinstall all my assets again - had to do that once already).

I am trying to change the Content Database Base location in DIM to D:\image creation\Daz 3D\assets\cms. Every time I do that and Accept it, then go back in, it has reset to C:/Users/NA/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms. There are no error messages or indications of why it won't change it.

Any ideas what the problem is? I haven't got Daz Studio installed (I was going to do that after sorting out the data locations first), and haven't yet let DIM go online. I was told that to avoid losing any metadata the CMS should be on the D: drive and included in back ups, hence me trying to place it there.

Image1.jpg
807 x 843 - 95K

Comments

• Try msking the chnage in Daz Studio - Edit>Preferences>CMS Settings - with DIM closed.

• karlkarl Posts: 66

Okay, so ignore that setting, let DIM go online, choose DS from something to install, do that, then change the DS settings?

• Yes, installing DS won't add anything to the database anyway as it has no content.

edited July 2021

Thanks - in the end I installed DS, then it let me change the DIM CMS location (before I even ran DS). So it looks like you just can't change the cms location in DIM until you have installed DS for some reason (so can't preselect a location before installing, unlike the other settings).

Post edited by karl on
  • I'm surprised at that - might be worth flagging it up to support https://www.daz3d.com/help

I did contact them about it, but they usually take over a month to respond, and sometimes don't seem to understand the issue - depends who you get, I guess!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited July 2021

You do need to be able to reproduce it so they know somewhere to start. Be sure you are listing the exact steps, the product your using and what your doing to get what your results are.

Post edited by frank0314 on

Yes, I'll include extra info if they follow up on the support request. This one was only from a few days ago (my other is from June 5th ...)

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 568
    edited June 2022

I just had this happen to me while installing on a new computer. Even though I installed Studio after finding this post, DIM wouldn't let me change the directory for CMS until after I installed PostgreSQL CMS. Once that was done, it worked fine. Thankfully this post lead me in the right direction, so I'm sharing what worked for me.

Post edited by Quasar on
  • I was unable to change the cms directory too. It would be fine at first and then revert to the old directory without warning. Just as described by the OP. I found a cause that is not mentioned here, so I think it is worth posting for future reference.

As it turns out, the problem was that I was deleting the old directory. However, Daz/DIM leave a file called cmscfg.json there that points to the new path. When I deleted the old diretory, I deleted that file and that is what caused the path to revert!

TL;DR: when changing the cms directory, do not remove the cmscfg.json file from the old one.

• Yes, that is the configuration file - it's just the ContentCliuster folder within the CMS folder that is movable.