Batch process G8 geoshell presets to G8.1

Hi,

The G8 geoshell presets to do not transfer to G8.1 Torso. A lot of vendors are selling products using the geoshells and a lot of customers want to

update their purchases to G8.1 geoshells.

As a vendor I have a lot of G8 products that are for geoshells that do not work with G8.1.

Also Customers are contacting me how to use them on G8.1.

Is there a script that would change the torso to head, body so I could batch convert all of my G8 products to work with G8.1.

Even if I knew how to replace the torso text with head, body text it would be a great help for batch conversion.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheerio

lululee

Comments

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558

I asked about this (a script) a few months ago and there has been few posts since then, but nothng of interest has happened. I actually think a geoshell 8 <> 8.1 conversion script would be a great seller. Don't know why no PA seems interested it it.

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 554

I don't know if batch conversion is going to be possible but I may be able to do a couple of utility scripts to be used on a case-by-case basis - would there be interest for this?

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291

Hi Silas3D,

For sure I would be interested in your scripts. Please keep me posted.

Cheerio

lululee

• jedijuddjedijudd Posts: 606

Silas3D said:

I don't know if batch conversion is going to be possible but I may be able to do a couple of utility scripts to be used on a case-by-case basis - would there be interest for this?

Count me as interested to 

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556
    edited July 2021

Generally I do once a Head version of the textures (or LIE for tattoo), Body surface can use Torso texture. It's easy to create a new Material preset.

It takes less than 5 min. 

Note: you can also select Genesis 8 UV set in the geoshell (For example Base Female instead of Base 8.1 Female)

Daz_0014.JPG
    471 x 726 - 54K
    Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • I've found that, to solve this problem, you can simply add a Surface Selection Set to the geoshell called Torso, and add the Body and Head surfaces to the selection set. Then, with the geoshell selected in the scene, any preset will load correctly. 

For anyone unsure of the process, you select the geoshell in the Scene Tab, then go to the Surfaces Tab. Open the side menu and click "Edit Surface Selection Set(s)". 

In the new window, add a selection set in the left pane and call it "Torso". Then select "Torso" in the left pane and tick "Body" and "Head" in the right pane. Click "Accept" and then go on to load your G8 preset. It should load normally without any further editing required. If there is any issue, just change the UV of the Body and Head surfaces to the UV of the geoshell preset you're applying.

e.g. in the case of Jepe's Bodyhair Project 78, the presets load fine after adding the Surface Selection Set but, if they didn't, you could simply apply the Base Male UV to the geoshell surfaces to fix any problem. 

As an afterthought, you could also save the geoshell as a Wearable Preset after adding the Surface Selection Set, and load that preset onto a G8.1 figure whenwver you want to use it in the future. 

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113
    My problem with Geoshells for 8.1 is that they always load in 3Delight, so they need to have the Iray Uber or that 4 Layer Iray Shader applied to them first before copying the G8 Torso settings to G8.1's Head and Body. For me, it would be easier if the Geoshell loaded with Iray settings to reduce the steps. Correcting UVs is less work than the material preset not appearing at all.
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
    @Dresdenskin, really interesting and thanks for sharing! Will definitely try this out. If it works how I am imagining, I may be able to update our SharkTail so it's compatible with 8.1 without having to duplicate all the presets (would just need to add an 8.1 Geoshell Transition wearable! I will try it out for sure later today!
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556

I forgot this "Template" method like Legacy UVs products do to apply old material presets.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 360

@Dresdenskin

I have submitted a feature request for this to be supported by default.

Request #383811 - Can DzGeometryShell inherit Material Selection Sets from target node?

It would be helpful if DzGeometryShell would inherit the Material Selection Sets from its target node like it already does with its Materials.

This would allow for example, applying presets designed for G8 onto G8.1 geometry shells without manual corrections.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 360
    edited July 2021

Attached is a script for creating a geometry shell with the following properties on Genesis 8.1 Male or Female figures 

• Legacy Material Selection Set (Allows automatically converting Torso to Head & Body surfaces when loading Presets)
    • Auto-Fit Base set to correct figure
    • Iray Uber shader loaded on all surfaces
    • Hold SHIFT while loading to automatically set all UV Maps to legacy maps

dsa
    dsa
    Create G8.1 GeoShell.dsa
    Post edited by Omniflux on
  • trdtrd Posts: 7

Omniflux

I signed in to the forums for the first time in a long time just to say thank you for the script. It worked like an absolute charm. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

• Omniflux said:

Attached is a script for creating a geometry shell with the following properties on Genesis 8.1 Male or Female figures 

• Legacy Material Selection Set (Allows automatically converting Torso to Head & Body surfaces when loading Presets)

thanks 

• Wow. Works like a charm. Thanks for this!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Perfect! Thank you.

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Cool!  Many thanks!

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921

Omniflux said:

This is an invaluable tool for several products that rely on geoshells and PAs that haven't updated to G8.1, thanks so much for this!

• alienareaalienarea Posts: 506

The script creates a geoshell for 8.1 bur it's all white - what did I miss?

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

alienarea said:

The script creates a geoshell for 8.1 bur it's all white - what did I miss?

Nothing.
    That's how all geoshells load.
    All white and 50% opaacity.

You could probably add something to the script if you want something special to be applied to the geoshell after it loaded though.

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 634
    edited March 2022

This "just works" for the character skin. Feels like it should be something that Daz does automatically in the same way.

If a geoshell is used on a G8.1 and its surfaces are clearly those of a G8, then Daz Studio itself should spot that and perform the conversion. It should not require a script. That's your batch process: you load it, Daz converts it, it works.

That's my view anyway. Maybe it's not that simple, but I can't see why not. (But thanks for the script!)

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • Any possibility for having this script for G8/8.1 geoshells to Genesis 9 ?

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395

thanks a lot, very useful! ^^

• I was just trying this out again and can no longer figure out how to make it work. Looking at the screenshot, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

• Sorry. Here's the screenshot

Screenshot (47).png
    3840 x 2160 - 3M
  • On a different note...  I just made a set of two images to go with the script, consisting of the regular 91x91 png and the 256x256 tip png.  I placed the script itself into a sub-folder in my Daz scripts folder that I named OmniFlux, and then placed these two pngs in there, though of course you can place all these wherever you like in Scripts.  (I also placed a browser shortcut to this thread in there for completelness, although that won't show up inside Daz's interface.)

Make sure that the .png and the .tip.png are both named the same (to the left of the first dot in the names) as the script for it to work right.

Create G8.1 GeoShell.png
    91 x 91 - 6K
    Create G8.1 GeoShell.tip.png
    256 x 256 - 31K
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,727
    edited February 1

echristopherclark said:

Sorry. Here's the screenshot

Go to Surfaces pane, select all Surfaces, in slot UV Set, choose "Geoshell Body Suit A"...

Some unique geoshell clothing use custom UV Set other than Genesis X Base Female's... while the script doesn't know what the dedicated UV Set is. Just manually assign it accordingly. Then save a Material Preset(s) to the product folder or your Preset folder.

Post edited by crosswind on