Daz to Blender back to Daz > Textures?

GilibranGilibran Posts: 4
edited July 2021 in New Users

So, i have some experience with Blender doing adjustments for Fallout/Oblivion/Skyrim mods, very minor stuff, adjust some meshes rescale stuff very, very basic, nver got into UV mapping and textures, actual 3d modelling and all the rest :-) 

Now i have been busy with Daz3d and working on getting to know Daz3d and find my way around, sofar it is fun and i have not yet ran into any issues i could'nt figure out. I'm getting the hang of posing figures, playing around with light and scenery.

That said, i have now ran into an issue i cant figure out, i think it has to be something simple i'm overlooking.

I used the Daz3d to Blender bridge to export an accessoirie and make some adjustments to the mesh because it was interfering with posing the figure correctly and a few other adjustments because it's pretty on workable and just looks wrong in my humble opinion. The stirrups are in the way and way to big causing clipping and the girth is in the wrong position so i adjusted those in Blender. https://www.daz3d.com/guardian-horse-armor-for-daz-horse-2

So i made the adjustments in Blender and it worked out well however when importing it back into Daz (as on OBJ) i'm running into a texture issue. I can apply the original textures for the saddle through the surface tab and they look ok in Texture Shaded but not in Iray view!?

It seems it has to do something with a glossy or transparancy setting i'm overlooking in Daz3d or something that i forgot to do in Blender before exporting it as an OBJ? 

I attached screenshots made in Daz of the adjustments i made to the saddle sofar, still needs some more work in Blender and this was a test to see how it looked in Daz with a figure. It still needs some small adjustments in Blender and the stirrups put back on or replace them with the one from the Western saddle. However i need the testure issue resolved otherwise it's pretty useless :-) 

The left saddle is the one i adjusted, the right is the unaltered original. As you can see in the last picture taken in Iray, there are a few issues, the edge around the blanket and the glossines, which looks almost transparant. I have been looking and trying stuff in the surface tab but cant figure out how the get rid of the "glossiness / transparancy on the edited saddle?

Do i have to do something else in Blender? (UV mapping? Import the textures to? Export in a different format?)

And is it possible to replace the original mesh with my edited mesh, not that it really matters it would be an added lazy bonus if i dont have to add my saddle seperatly each time!? :-) Like i said a lazy bonus, the texture issue is more important :-) 

Many thanks in advance

Saddle_Adjustments_0001.JPG
2435 x 1981 - 210K
Saddle_Adjustments_0002.JPG
2438 x 1981 - 181K
Saddle_Adjustments_0003.JPG
2436 x 1986 - 219K
Saddle_Adjustments_0004.JPG
2435 x 1989 - 216K
Saddle_Adjustments_0005.JPG
2435 x 1985 - 209K
Post edited by Gilibran on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,148

Are you copying the shader settings from the original armor, or just applying the maps? Surface settings don't survive transfer between apps fully intact, especially given that different programs use different render engines.

• GilibranGilibran Posts: 4
    edited August 2021

Weird, the topic got posted twice, pictures are in the other, but i added them here to now, anyway, i'm copying everything in the surface tab i can find on the original to the adjusted saddle i import from Blender. I found i missed 1 setting that solved the tranparancy issue (Glossy roughness)

So, i'm copying every setting from the original to the imported saddle and add the original textures: Base color, Glossy Color, Glossy roughness, etc. and make sure the numbers o are the same for each item under the main object:

Saddle

Saddle_Leather1

Saddle_Leather2

Saddle_Leather3

Saddle_Metal1

Saddle_Metal2

Saddle_Metal3

But something does get lost along the way, but i cant firgure out what exactly to fix it :-) you can see it in the blanket which i did not alter but did get distorted a bit more on the front as well as the horns on the back and front which got sharper during and the seat which lost it's roundings during the export - import.

Perhaps it's just in those export import settings i need to do something with but i'm still a bit at a loss. 

I could probably go the easy way and purchase the mesh grabber bundle from manfriday, but i'm not convinced it has the same level of adjustibility you can achieve in Blender and, well, it's beyond my budget at the moment :-) It is in my whish list waiting for a sale, but i also simply want to learn for future projects.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,148

When I asked if you were copying the surface settings, I meant doing it the easy way: right-clicking on the surface(s) you want to copy, selecting "copy selected surfaces" (or whatever it's actually called, I'm not at a computer right now") and then following the same method to paste surface settings to the corresponding surfaces on the new version. 

• GilibranGilibran Posts: 4
    edited August 2021

Thank you Gordig, that was it, i did not know you could copy paste those settings and that solved it. Still some smoothing issues when importing it back, but now i have the surfaces fixed at least. 

I'll dive deeper into Blender to Daz for the shape issues that get lost and figure out how to solve those, smooth the edges and get the shape back into the leather.
    But the saddle at least is already alot more comfortable and posing friendly :-) 

Saddle_SurfaceFixed.JPG
    3055 x 1822 - 334K
  • Solved the texture issues, still a WIP need time :-) but it's more workable with every itteration. Anyone can point me to a tutorial how to add shapping adjustments?, the Saddle is as good as 99% but it would be great if i can add Daz adjustment for the girdle and the next hurdle, the stirrups. I purchased the mesh grabber tool, that works but for learning and skill purposes it would be nice if i can add adjustments through Daz shapping.

SaddleRenderTest.jpg
    3828 x 2013 - 672K