Subdivisions gone after saving

pinkdaemonpinkdaemon Posts: 6

Hi,

after modelling a new character I can apply the various HD details from the character morphs or e.g. the HD veins. On closing and reopening those details are then gone.

The appropriate dials are still at their respective value, but the details just don't show. Reapplying or increasing the values doesn't do anything. It's like all of a sudden the model doesn't have any subdivisions even though the Subdiv level is set to 2.

They are also gone when exporting the model to C4D.

What could be causing this?

Post edited by pinkdaemon on

Comments

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

Resolution Level in Parameters isn't set to Base is it? You can change subd levels with it set to Base but they won't be applied—it must be set to High Resolution. A good way to confirm whether there is subd is to change the view to Wire Shaded mode in which you can see the subdivisions in grey in between the true edges shown in black.

If the subdivision is not there in the viewport then the model will not be exported subdivided either.

• pinkdaemonpinkdaemon Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

No, not set to base. That was my first thought too.

edited December 1969

Resolution Level in Parameters isn't set to Base is it? You can change subd levels with it set to Base but they won't be applied—it must be set to High Resolution. A good way to confirm whether there is subd is to change the view to Wire Shaded mode in which you can see the subdivisions in grey in between the true edges shown in black.

If the subdivision is not there in the viewport then the model will not be exported subdivided either.

Ok, did the wireframe check and it seems the subdivisions are there. Switching to 0 subdiv gives me a completely white model, increasing the subdivs fills the polygons with light grey lines.

So the subdivisions on the model are ok. Changing the dials does have an effect on the geometry, but it's the same as applying hd morphs to a subdiv 1 model.

For example applying one of the HD veins morphs doesn't translate into the well defined veins one would expect but into an undefined lump.

edited December 1969

Ok, did the wireframe check and it seems the subdivisions are there. Switching to 0 subdiv gives me a completely white model, increasing the subdivs fills the polygons with light grey lines.

So the subdivisions on the model are ok. Changing the dials does have an effect on the geometry, but it's the same as applying hd morphs to a subdiv 1 model.

For example applying one of the HD veins morphs doesn't translate into the well defined veins one would expect but into an undefined lump.
    HD morphs are designed for 3 levels of subd, so you won't see the intended effect in the viewport unless you dial 3 levels. Simply adding the HD morph doesn't increase the subd level in itself in the parameters. There is a reason for this, however, and that is to avoid the resulting heavy mesh from lagging the viewport, which it will do on many computer systems. The figure is subdivided the correct amount of times on export to 3Delight for rendering—you just never see this in the viewport or in the parameter settings.

If you want to export the HD morphed mesh to anything else other than 3Delight (e.g. to Luxrender or Octane renderers, or to OBJ) then you must set the subdivision levels appropriately in the figure parameters. Note that if a figure is exported in subdivided state and then morphed in a modelling application, you can't bring in the resulting morphs with Morph Loader as this only works on a base (undivided) mesh. I presume that the HD tools, available only to DAZ PAs, get around this limitation in some way.

edited December 1969

HD morphs are designed for 3 levels of subd, so you won't see the intended effect in the viewport unless you dial 3 levels. Simply adding the HD morph doesn't increase the subd level in itself in the parameters. There is a reason for this, however, and that is to avoid the resulting heavy mesh from lagging the viewport, which it will do on many computer systems. The figure is subdivided the correct amount of times on export to 3Delight for rendering—you just never see this in the viewport or in the parameter settings.

If you want to export the HD morphed mesh to anything else other than 3Delight (e.g. to Luxrender or Octane renderers, or to OBJ) then you must set the subdivision levels appropriately in the figure parameters. Note that if a figure is exported in subdivided state and then morphed in a modelling application, you can't bring in the resulting morphs with Morph Loader as this only works on a base (undivided) mesh. I presume that the HD tools, available only to DAZ PAs, get around this limitation in some way.

Ok, didn't know that. Seems I'm on an older DAZ version with max. 2 levels of subdiv. Or do you count 0, 1, 2 as 3?

However, when opening the application, starting with a fresh G2F base figure and applying the morphs they are perfectly visible in the viewport down to the smallest detail. Only when closing and reopening the saved file the morphs disappear. They are still dialed in, the wireframe shows the correct subdivisions however the visual representation of the geometry is equivalent to a mesh at subdiv level 2.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You may need to remove limits to set SubD to 3 in the viewport (although 3delight will render with full SubD even if the viewport isn't set to display it).

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

HD morphs can only be done by DAZ and DAZ PAs at this time.

You can utilize your HD work to produce displacment maps, depending on what you have done, of course.

edited December 1969

Ok, didn't know that. Seems I'm on an older DAZ version with max. 2 levels of subdiv. Or do you count 0, 1, 2 as 3?

However, when opening the application, starting with a fresh G2F base figure and applying the morphs they are perfectly visible in the viewport down to the smallest detail. Only when closing and reopening the saved file the morphs disappear. They are still dialed in, the wireframe shows the correct subdivisions however the visual representation of the geometry is equivalent to a mesh at subdiv level 2.

It's not that you have an older version of Studio. The default limit for High Resolution subd levels is 2 in the current version of DS. In order to go higher you need to change the Parameter Settings for SubDivision Level. In parameters, click on the gear wheel in the SubDivision Level parameter. Select Parameter Settings... and change Max to 3. I advise you not to turn limits off on this setting as it is too easy to set an impossibly high setting by mistake which will freeze Studio to such an extent that you may not be able to reset it.

I can't account for the problem you describe. I'll have to try it to see what is going on there.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

I may have misunderstood. Are you trying to make or use HD morphs? Which product are you using?