Base Characters by Daz

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited January 2015 in Carrara Discussion

It is amusing to me that Daz charges for base characters, i.e., victoria, michael, etc.
Daz makes their money from content items, i.e.,clothing,morphs and all kinds of 3rd party items.
IMO, Daz inhibits themselves by holding back the characters by charging for them.

The base characters are the foundation for most content purchases.
I conclude this from what I see for sale in the shop.

IMO, if they wanted to promote their content they would constantly release new base characters free.
Then, if users were interested in specific characters they would buy related content items.
I have seen sale promotions for the base characters at $15 USD each.
Yet, if DaZ wanted users to have 5 or more characters in their inventory for better content sales... that is $75.
Maybe, DAZ has tried the free character route and it didn't work to suit them.

I was just thinking there are alot of people still using older characters, because they have alot of content for them.
That speaks well for the quality, but it doesn't encourage sales of newer content items.
At some point there is so much content for older characters, users are not encouraged to start over with new characters.

I can understand they give away the Daz3d studio, which promotes more users.
The Daz3d applications do include some base characters in the release packages.
That is good, but they might try going abit further and find there is more gold in them thar hills.

Don't hang on this, because I really don't care what they do.
Merely, a suggestion and afterall what do I know about their marketing plans.
I am glad to get high quality DAZ applications for free or reasonably priced.
This is not a complaint on my part.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

They were all free at one point.
    The pre genesis ones that is
    You sadly came along to late to benefit. :lol:
    the reasoning was exactly along the lines of your thoughts!!!

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited January 2015

They were all free at one point.
    The pre genesis ones that is
    You sadly came along to late to benefit. :lol:
    the reasoning was exactly along the lines of your thoughts!!!

Yes, that is one way to look at it.

My problem at this point is learning enough to determine what works with what, and what do I need. LOL

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

And if you are patient, and watch for sales, they will likely be free (or close to it) again.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

but Genesis, Genesis2F and Genesis2M are all free,

edited December 1969

chohole said:

They are? Guess I missed something.

edited December 1969

rampart1 said:
    chohole said:

They are? Guess I missed something.

They come with Daz Studio, which is free.

edited December 1969

As you can tell... I have been most concerned with Carrara and have not paid much attention to DAZ application.

Each day when I receive the promo emails I view the shop offers.

I was not making a plea for free.

My intent was to share from my observations and thoughts, which obviously aren't altogether complete.

I appreciate the responses.

edited December 1969

rampart1 said:
    As you can tell... I have been most concerned with Carrara and have not paid much attention to DAZ application.

My intent was to share from my observations and thoughts, which obviously aren't altogether complete.

Carrara has typically come with a free Daz figure or two. Earlier versions of Carrara came with V4 and M4 along with Carrara-friendly skin shaders. Carrara 8.5 Pro comes with the genesis figures, along with some Carrara-friendly skin shaders.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

rampart1 said:

There was quite a lot of Genesis stuff included with the content in Carrara 8.5 pro

edited December 1969

chohole said:

There was quite a lot of Genesis stuff included with the content in Carrara 8.5 pro

Yes, the extra stuff can make Carrara a great bargain.

edited December 1969

Just checked out the Daz3d studio and found the basic Genesis 2 male and female characters. Also, found the genesis m and f in Carrara 8.5.

Genesis 2 in the DAZ shop have defined characters, i.e., MIchael, Victoria, etc. In other words, I was thinking you had to use these types of individual characters. I didn't realize there were base Genesis 2 characters. I was thinking you had to use specific character creations, for applying morphs and options to the body types.

It would help to know what the differences described by Michael, Victoria, Stephane, etc. mean for characters. I see facial and physical differences in the shop. I assume it is not possible with basic Genesis 2/M or 2/F to produce a Victoria or Michael, because of special improvements or options available when you use defined characters. Maybe, using the more specialized individual characters is just a way to speed up your work with characters and everything necesary can be done with the base Genesis 2/M and 2/F characters.

In other words, it is confusing

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,040
    edited December 1969

the others are all morphs
    HD morphs do not work in Carrara so you can ignore those
    the rest are the same free mesh you have moved around into other shapes to put it simply with different UV mapping in most cases
    you are paying for the talented sculpting and UV mapping texturing etc mostly done in programs like Zbrush which I actually have and cannot do squat with so I buy others skilled work too!

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

rampart1 said:
    Just checked out the Daz3d studio and found the basic Genesis 2 male and female characters. Also, found the genesis m and f in Carrara 8.5.

Genesis 2 in the DAZ shop have defined characters, i.e., MIchael, Victoria, etc. In other words, I was thinking you had to use these types of individual characters. I didn't realize there were base Genesis 2 characters. I was thinking you had to use specific character creations, for applying morphs and options to the body types.

It would help to know what the differences described by Michael, Victoria, Stephane, etc. mean for characters. I see facial and physical differences in the shop. I assume it is not possible with basic Genesis 2/M or 2/F to produce a Victoria or Michael, because of special improvements or options available when you use defined characters. Maybe, using the more specialized individual characters is just a way to speed up your work with characters and everything necesary can be done with the base Genesis 2/M and 2/F characters.

In other words, it is confusing

Not quite sure if understand, but you can buy packages for Gen1 and Gen 2 that add the ability to make them take on the shapes of the characters you mention. Ie. you can make Female Genesis 2 take on the body look of V2 or M4. You can even mix and match the shapes, such as giving your Gen character charateristics of Victoria and Aiko3, 4, or 5. Endless shape opportunites, but can these function in Carrara. I don't know. Thats why I create the base figures in Daz Studio and then open them in Carrara.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Right, though.
    Genesis 2 Female does not have the morphs that it takes to create Victoria 6, the same applies between Genesis 2 Male and Michael 6.
    When you buy Michael 6, for example, you'll get the full M6 dial as well as those for only the body and face, as well as a super hero version and I think that it may even come with a textures set, but I cannot remember. It'll say if it does in the product page if it does.

Michael and Victoria are very nicely shaped figures and, are even higher quality for Genesis 2 than any other generation. There are now also HD versions to take them further into the extreme details - a difference that will show up even using lower resolution renders. However, Carrara 8.5 cannot yet make use of any f the HD morph sets.

All of the other main base morph packs, like Freak, Girl, Stephanie, Josie, Olympia, and all of those, are the same way. You're getting the morphs and possibly a texture set too.

Keep in mind that some of the other character morph packs sold (at DAZ 3D or anywhere else) may require that you have one or more of the base morph packs installed to work.

Other shaping morph sets are yet an additional advantage to these kits. Belly Control, for example, will give you a whole new pile of options for shaping the abdominal region. Some of the Expression packs come with morph dials, some are just poses that control existing dials - so be sure to read everything that comes with the package before buying them.