The We Will Miss You, Chohole Complaint Thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,090

@LeatherGryphon: I found something you may be interested in.  It's a system for identifying what's in a storage container or box withouth having to open it and looking.  when I saw it, I thought of you with your boxes of tech items and stuff.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSGKV4G/?ots=1&slotNum=27&imprToken=fcbd8b64-9fff-bd41-e3c&tag=fhmeag-20

Dana

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,188
    edited August 2021

DanaTA said:

@LeatherGryphon: I found something you may be interested in.  It's a system for identifying what's in a storage container or box withouth having to open it and looking.  when I saw it, I thought of you with your boxes of tech items and stuff.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MSGKV4G/?ots=1&slotNum=27&imprToken=fcbd8b64-9fff-bd41-e3c&tag=fhmeag-20

Dana

Cool, interesting tech. Good professional solution.yes  However, for my pathetic situation, the dog-eared, torn, saggy old NewEgg shipping boxes with scrawled black "Sharpie" notes scribbled on any open space left outside the box purporting to identify the basic nature of the contents works pretty well.indecision  My categories?  "LAN Cables", "Video Cables", "Internal Cables", "USB & Firewire Cables", "Tools", "Serial Cables",  "Documents & Empty Bags", "Ethernet Cards", "Old video cards", "USB cards", "Old Hard Drives & CD & DVD drives", "RF Cables", "Audio Cables & Adaptors", "Telephones & Parts", WiFi Stuff", "Blank Media", "Archives", "Mice", "Misc PC Parts", "Fans", etc.  And of course the inevitable BIG box that has my lumber yard of keyboards, empty boxes, Powercords, Modular Power Supply Cables, several boxes of software & their documents, plus more miscellaneous stuff.  I used to have a box labeled "Memory" but it was all old DDR and DDR2 and pre-DDR memories from the last millenium and it got discarded.  I forget how.surprise

Knowing what's in the boxes doesn't help accessing the boxes which have to be stored in two walls of boxes.  The best solution I found for some of them is cardboard "Banker's Box" front opening drawer boxes.  Easy to access.enlightened

https://www.amazon.com/Bankers-Box-00312-DRAWER-Storage/dp/B000M8GF04/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=bankers+box+drawer&qid=1628179688&sr=8-7

I have one wall of 12 of them stacked 3 wide, 4 high and have a wide wooden shelf board on top for display of my collectables.  And since they are on display in my livingroom/office  I keep those 12 neatly labeled with modern labelmaker labels.  The other wall of boxes is in my pantry along with my pandemically hoarded foodstuffs.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,720

I think I'm on the wrong phone plan.  I'm on hold to talk to customer service about my plan.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i want a new kitchen for my 60th orbit.  stove, fridge, sick and faucet.  the paint is wearing off my sink and its disgusting

Sfariah said:

I think I'm on the wrong phone plan.  I'm on hold to talk to customer service about my plan.

wondrin if i'm on the wrong plan

my iphone8 not holding a charge like it used to, might be time for a new phone.  what number they up to? 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,205

Mystiara said:

Sfariah said:

my iphone8 not holding a charge like it used to, might be time for a new phone.  what number they up to? 

If you're serious about retiring soon...don't buy an iPhone!  That will take a huge chunk of money away!

Dana 

DanaTA said:

Mystiara said:

Sfariah said:

If you're serious about retiring soon...don't buy an iPhone!  That will take a huge chunk of money away!

Dana 

maybe an iPhone se 2021?  I think they use same case as an 8 but also not as expensive as a regular iPhone. 

It may also be worth investigating how much it would cost to simply replace the battery. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,591

...hmm I used to have a box with memory scrawled on it and can't seem remember what happened to it.

LeatherGryphon said:

Complaint:  Graphic card prices.frown  I've been looking to upgrade the graphics card in my baby-bear computer.  Currently using a GT-730 that I had vegetating in a storage box, but it doesn't support resolutions above HD (1080p).  I'd like a card that will properly support my 2K monitor (1440p).  I don't need a super DAZing card, this is, after all, just my baby-bear machine. So, I figure a 1030 card would do the trick.  Trouble is, prices for 1030 cards range from $109 to $217 (today).  Which makes me wonder what's wrong with the cheaper ones?  Or is it the expensive ones that are being force fed to us?  Even a "refurbished" one was advertised at Amazon for nearly $200.surprise

I'm losing trust in the marketplace.sad

..true, for general use (net surfing watching, vids, etc) one doesn't need an uber GPU with gobs of VRAM.

Most of the grumbling about the ridiculous prices is by those of us into GPU rendering and/or the latest games..  I'd love to have a 3060, particularly for when Nvidia dumps Iray support for Maxwell (which is on the way) but not at two to three times the normal price.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,188

kyoto kid said:

...hmm I used to have a box with memory scrawled on it and can't seem remember what happened to it.

yes laughblushindecision

I got a new phone today.  I also got a phone case and screen protector.

wait!  Where did I put that screen protector?  Found it.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

A courier service left one of those "we missed you cards" in the letterbox. We were in, when this person called... But no one knocked on the door. I know this, because the bathroom is situated over the front door! And on top of that, the tracking codes DON'T WORK!

Having said that, as far as I'm aware, I'm not expecting anything. Although it is something else for me to worry about...

I've just read that people put things in their carts on Etsy as a way to favourite items. If so, doesn't that make the favourite system kind of pointless...

Damn! I keep forgetting that I can't sort anything in my Devil May Cry collection until I receive my new DMCxOC-themed box (hopefully the artcards will fit in there too).

I was going to say something but forgot what.

edited August 2021

i could buy a new fridge for the cost of a phone12

but i racked up a new medical bill going to the urgent care yesterday.

dunno why i went.  so they ruled out covid, was fairly certain it wasnt my problem.

was a long argument with telling them i waasnt going to hospital.  had to sign a waive i was ignoring advice.  they wanted me to go to be hydrated on iv.  i wasnt gonna pay 20 thousand dollars for a drink of water.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2021

It's hilarious that I got a banner for the Season Pass webinar, as if i would buy into that sillyness. laugh

Post edited by zombietaggerung on

I don't want an iPhone 12!

...I have one as well.  I can see the Season Pass it for people how are fairly new but us oldsters here already have enough content some of which we've even forgot is in our library/runtime (like last night when I was surprised t discover I already purchased Code 66's Emission Profile Master, thought it was still on the wishlist).

indecision I forgot how to make a screenshot.

joys saw ut ads for a new antman, a new dr strange. and loki has a series.

mann cap marvel brie larson is soo underwhelming

and justice league is coming out with a new directors cut. dunno directors cuts are ever better.  save martha line came out so cheezie.

i like chris pine, but . supppose dc can resurrect just as well as mcu.

Mystiara said:

and justice league is coming out with a new directors cut. dunno directors cuts are ever better.  save martha line came out so cheezie.

The Snyder Cut was already released. Is there another version coming out? If you think director's cuts can't improve movies, watch the theatrical release of Blade Runner and then the director's cut.

Gordig said:

Mystiara said:

The Snyder Cut was already released. Is there another version coming out? If you think director's cuts can't improve movies, watch the theatrical release of Blade Runner and then the director's cut.

tried to watch new blade runner. nodded off.  they did a cut of the mozart movie. amadeus. 

I own Blade Runner 2049, but for whatever reason haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I meant the original Blade Runner.

its kewl the way they fold paper into animal shapes.  orgammi?

Sfariah said:

indecision I forgot how to make a screenshot.

..check your keyboard,  there should be a key on the it that reads "Print Screen" or Print Scr", Press that and then open into a 2d programme (like Gimp or PS) and click "paste".  You can then edit the image as needed and afterwards save it as an image file (psd, .jpg etc).

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    edited August 2021
    My old $15 mouse was dropping all my clicks, so I finally got a new one. It's kind of fancy, has lots of buttons. But I've clicked on just about all the software menus and can't figure out how to program them. I'll have to look it up. Maybe after this render finishes... (I was smart this time and didn't get a glowing one.)
    Post edited by Sera on

certaintree38 said:

My old $15 mouse was dropping all my clicks, so I finally got a new one. It's kind of fancy, has lots of buttons. But I've clicked on just about all the software menus and can't figure out how to program them. I'll have to look it up. Maybe after this render finishes... (I was smart this time and didn't get a glowing one.)

A mouse like that usually comes with software that supports it and loads upon boot-up. Sometimes they get cheap and you have to download it when you register it.

Dana

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    I did download it, I just can't figure it out. I got it installed and it's running but the settings don't cover the buttons. Forgot to look it up while I was at my desk. I'll do it tomorrow.

Good morning!  

This discussion has been closed.