BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►New Year Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ♥♦♣♠ .. ELEMENTS .. ♠♣♦♥

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited January 2015 in Bryce Discussion

Thirteenth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "Elements"
ᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿᵿ

It could be the elements of the ancient magicians, or those of the Periodic Chart… or the element of surprise or the key elements of a good story or play… It’s elementary, really.

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 28th February 2015 :- Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Oh! Oops! "Elements". I thought it was "Filaments". Oh, well. I guess this one doesn't count.

Um, except the element most lightbulb filaments are made from is Nickel. Does that count? I'm not sure this is Nickel.

This was done using Bryce 7 with no add-ons, and the only after-work being cropping and conversion to JPG using PSP XI, (plus it's work to drag a thumb drive from my father's computer that runs Bryce to my old XP computer I have to use for Internet in order to upload stuff).

Funny how the bulb is lit, though it's not screwed into a socket. Oh, the magic of Bryce.

Lightbulb_cropped.jpg
    1160 x 693 - 122K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@CTippetts: Nice bulb. Nice to see someone is lighting the way.;-)

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Ctippetts.

This was done using Bryce 7 with no add-ons, and the only after-work being cropping and conversion to JPG using PSP XI

Bryce saves renders as jpegs in 4 different qualities, and exports renders in 8 different formats, so there is no need to convert them.
    You can also set the size in Document setup on the File menu so you don't normally need to crop either.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2015

StuartB4 said:
    @Ctippetts.

This was done using Bryce 7 with no add-ons, and the only after-work being cropping and conversion to JPG using PSP XI

Bryce saves renders as jpegs in 4 different qualities, and exports renders in 8 different formats, so there is no need to convert them.
    You can also set the size in Document setup on the File menu so you don't normally need to crop either.

I agree Bryce saves JPGs, but for my final render I prefer to save in an uncompressed format and convert in an actual paint program as I am never happy with the quality of Bryce JPGs.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 1969

I agree, working for days and waiting for hours for a render to finish and then save the result lossy compressed is no option for me. BMP or TIFF are my choices. Compressing will be done if/when published. The original stays uncompressed.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@chohole and Horo.

Don't want to clog this thread as it's the challenge, so I opened another in the main forum.
    Titled "Can you tell the difference?"

• drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821
    edited January 2015

Then I will try this tricky topic times. Here, then, my first interpretation of the four elements of fire, water, air and earth.

Titled: “Four Elements”

Four_elements.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by drachenlords on
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Title: "Element of Surprise"

This was made in Bryce 7.1 Pro, using ELEMENTS from "High Resolution Terrains Set 4", "Bryce Pro Volumetric Fireballs", and "Emotiguy" for DAZ Studio, (um, I'm still using DAZ Studio version 2.3 for no good reason).

There is also an ELEMENT of comedy.

Now, if I can only find a good ELEPHANT ...

EmotiguyVolcavo.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 289K
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 920
    edited January 2015

Here is my first entry:
    One of the key elements from "the Lord of the Rings":

The eye of Sauron.

Pure Bryce, no Postwork.

the_eye_of_Sauron.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 427K
    Post edited by Yellow Pen on
    edited December 1969

Here is my second entry.

Title: Play with the elements

Yellowpen: I like how the clouds glow over the eye.

Play_with_the_Elements.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited December 1969

thank you Drachenlords :-)
    I wanted to give it up , because I couldn't done it the way I want. But, I tried again one more time and then it works - even it doesn't look like I wanted.

But, I triy this Tower again, later....

Beautiful Pictures you've created :-)

edited December 1969

My third entry.

Title: Discovery of Phosphorus.

This is Henning Brand, the man who discovered in 1669 at an alchemical Experiment the Phosphorus, an Element of the Periodic Chart.

Henning_Brand_entdeckt_Phosphor.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 971K
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Great stuff coming in here...
    @CTippetts... Great bulb and whatever the element...it's sure got a great glow...
    @drachenlords... All great images, I really love Discovery of Phosphorus,,, great lighting and facial expression.
    @yellowpen... The Eye of Sauron is indeed a key element of the trilogy... great image and love the glow on the clouds...
    Steve

edited December 1969

here is my first entry
    The 5 Elements

The 5 elements of the Ancient World consisted of Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, and the Quintescent 5th Element --Aether, which was described by Aristotle as that which is everything else.
    Genesis 2 character(s)
    fire texture: Clay's Fire

The_5_Elements.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 378K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

@CTippets : great renders
    @yellow Pen : the eye, the sky : nicely done
    @drachenlords : difficult to choose between your 3 images, they are very good.
    @mtnmen : Great interpretation of the five elements.

edited December 1969

@drachenlords - very nice render with the fire. The one with the aircraft is also very nice and a good idea. Your third entry with the phosphor I like best, very well done.

@CTippetts - very humorous.

@yellow Pen - I like how you made Sauron's eye, lighting is very well done.

@mtnmen - nice idea and superbly done.

edited December 1969

Thanks for your nice comment, Horo :-)

And great works you all here....

edited December 1969

Thanks for the nice comments.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@drachenlords: Real nice images, especially the last one.

@CTippetts: Latest image is real cute, terrains look really good.

@yellowPen: Wonderful scene. Eye looks great.

@mtnmen: What a great idea for a scene, and it looks really nice.

edited December 1969

thanks adbc, mtnmen and guss nemo for your nice comments, too.:-)

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited December 1969

Was it Asimov of Bradbury who came up with the solar ships. Space ships powered by the solar wind using big woven gold sails?

Sailing on the Solar Wind

solar-ship-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 349K
    edited December 1969

@Sandy - good idea with the solar sail. I neither remember whether it was Asimov or Bradbury or some other. The Planetary Society has a solar sail ready to be launched.

edited December 1969

ADBC. Horo, Guss... thanks for the comments..
    @Sandy... Asimov and Bradbury were both profits of the future... and the solar sails a great idea... Great subject for your image...
    Steve

edited January 2015

great Idea and a beautiful Picture of a Solarshlp :-)

Here's my second entry: the Key-element of "sleepy hollow" - the headless horseman, looking for his head...

Sleepy hollow: the headless horseman.
    No Postwork.

Sleepy_Hollow_-_the_headless_Horseman.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 928K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,071
    edited January 2015

Possibly Arthur C. Clarke?

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/9781625792112/9781625792112___3.htm

It might also have come from a film or comic. I now remember that they would extend from the front like a big umbrella and each panel could be moved independently to catch more or less of the solar wind. Jules Verne also wrote about them.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797
    edited December 1969

Fishtales said:
    Possibly Arthur C. Clarke?

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/9781625792112/9781625792112___3.htm

It might also have come from a film or comic. I now remember that they would extend from the front like a bog umbrella and each panel could be moved independently to catch more or less of the solar wind. Jules Verne also wrote about them.

Can't remember either of them describing this. Must have been in books I did not read (yet). Wikipedia gives the following (abbreviated):
    Johannes Kepler wrote about the idea in 1610.
    James Clerk Maxwell's equations provide the theory to show that it can work in 1861-1864.
    "Jules Verne, in From the Earth to the Moon, published in 1865, wrote "there will some day appear velocities far greater than these [of the planets and the projectile], of which light or electricity will probably be the mechanical agent ... we shall one day travel to the moon, the planets, and the stars." "

Wikipedia considers therefore that Verne was the first SF author to write about it, though he did not further develop the ideas.

edited January 2015

Here's my last entrance.

The Element is Fire.

Title: Fireghosts.

(I'm missing all the others... there are only a few pictures here)

Element_Fire_-_Fireghosts.jpg
    1400 x 787 - 812K
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales : I love the idea !
    @Yellow Pen : Sleepy Hollow : nice figures and environment.
    Fireghosts : Absolutely awesome

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Super work, yellow pen.

Jay

edited December 1969

@yellow Pen - very nice render, the headless rider (I'm not a rider but sometimes headless) and the Fireghosts.