I miss Carrara!!

I've invested the time to be somewhat productive in Blender. Don't get me wrong Blender has come a long way and it is very powerful and capable.
That said, there was just something about Carrara that made you want to open it up and just play. No other 3d software has nailed that "extra something" for me like Carrara did.
I have a Mac and Carrara no longer works on any OS beyond 10.2. It still has me shaking my head at why Daz walked away from Carrara - They missed it. 

Last night I redesigned Blender's Interface...thinking of Carrara!
Not too shabby and even made me feel a little better:) 

Image 7-30-21 at 4.16 PM (1).jpeg
1792 x 1097 - 296K

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

mebbe we not bitchin loud enugh for them to hear us like in Horton hears a who, we are here!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

LOL!!!

That's cool that you redisned Blender to lok more like Carrara!!!

Yeah, I hear ya. I was all prepared to dig for good deals on older hardware if Carrara didn't work in Windows 10 - but it works great, so I'm happy. Stezza even reported that it also works on Windows 11 (not yet released to the vast public).

I agree that Blender is quite the useable option now, I still don't like the idea of having to use it instead of Carrara. I learned enough to where I could possibly switch if I absolutely had too, but I'll never go willingly. I'd be more apt to use Blender in addition to Carrara than to make th switch entirely.

So currently I'm using Daz Studio to do some animations/renders that simply are not compatible with Carrara enoug for me to remian productive, and use Carrara for everything else. 

I still hold a hope that one day Daz 3d will decide to pull out Bryce and Carrara, dust them off and run them through some upgrading development stages. If not, I'm certainly not currently opposed to trying to keep my hardware (and OS) at a level that Will run my software of choice.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Also, I'm sorry to hear about the woes with things not working with current versions of MacOS. Makes me glad that I cannot afford it! LOL

I'm certain that Carrara misses You too!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

@Realtime, nice to hear from you, yes so far we are lucky on windows

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Nice, can you attach the blend file with the Carrara settings? Blender 3.0 will get a new content library that looks similar to the Carrara content library, one step closer...
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

crying

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited August 2021

Realtime said:

I've invested the time to be somewhat productive in Blender. Don't get me wrong Blender has come a long way and it is very powerful and capable.
    That said, there was just something about Carrara that made you want to open it up and just play. No other 3d software has nailed that "extra something" for me like Carrara did.
    I have a Mac and Carrara no longer works on any OS beyond 10.2. It still has me shaking my head at why Daz walked away from Carrara - They missed it. 

Last night I redesigned Blender's Interface...thinking of Carrara!
    Not too shabby and even made me feel a little better:) 

That's cool Realtime, thanks for sharing.

I am not a computer expert but I was able to install Carrara 8.1 as a test on a partitioned drive to test High Sierra, the 'supposed' last OS that would install on my hardware.

If memory serves me there may be annoying OS errors when locating lost texture maps, but otherwise ok. I have no idea about any plugin compatibility and mac os, sorry.

I still haven't had the guts to make the final switch but thought I'd let you know.
    cheers

macos_101306.jpg
    1628 x 1336 - 242K
    Post edited by DesertDude on