"Clipping planes" for terrains?

eponicaeponica Posts: 197
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi again folks ^_^

This question is rather basic but I can't seem to find the answer. In most 3d progs (I'm thinking Bryce and Vue specifically) there is an easy way to make the sharp edges of a piece of terrain irregular. I was thinking the Zero Edge filter was it, but no, it just lowers the edge. There must be a way to do this...? Thanks for any advice... :)

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

eponica said:
    Hi again folks ^_^

This question is rather basic but I can't seem to find the answer. In most 3d progs (I'm thinking Bryce and Vue specifically) there is an easy way to make the sharp edges of a piece of terrain irregular. I was thinking the Zero Edge filter was it, but no, it just lowers the edge. There must be a way to do this...? Thanks for any advice... :)

There are brushes in the terrain map editor if that's what you mean.

Can also import and export maps from the map editor, use blur or add height, depth in your favorite painting application.

map_editor.jpg
    625 x 490 - 53K
  • eponicaeponica Posts: 197
    edited December 1969

Yes, thank you, that is what I have been doing. :) Still, this is a quick one-slider adjustment in the two other progs I mentioned. I find it hard to believe something as well-thought-out as Carrara doesn't have a quick way to do this. Map editing makes it much more time consuming for me to connect terrains, add a water plane without raw edges showing under it, etc. It would sure be something to ask for in version 9.0 :)

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

eponica said:
    Yes, thank you, that is what I have been doing. :) Still, this is a quick one-slider adjustment in the two other progs I mentioned. I find it hard to believe something as well-thought-out as Carrara doesn't have a quick way to do this. Map editing makes it much more time consuming for me to connect terrains, add a water plane without raw edges showing under it, etc. It would sure be something to ask for in version 9.0 :)

Well, you should enjoy this tutorial video by Cripeman then. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b9c4CW2c18

Make your adjustments in Bryce, then export the results in Carrara - best of both worlds.

edited December 1969

Ah, I get it! That really Is the best of both worlds :D

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

You could convert te terrain to a facet mesh and Boolean cut the bottom off :)

island.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
    edited December 1969

Clever idea! The modeler is something I haven't worked with too much yet, but that's coming soon. I just got the Infinite Skills tutorial set on sale ;-)

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited January 2015

Hi,

When i used to build terrains in Carrara, I would add an extra "Custom > Terrain Layer" in the "Terrain Shader", and make that layer transparent. With that, I could also make the terrain fade away (in water depth) using the blending option (rather than a sharp edge).

Quick example (no blending) on a default terrain.

Create new shader Custom Terrain Layer
    Set Influence to 100%, set maximum hight as required.
    Set shader to Multi channel with 100% alpha.

11-01-2015_07-34-53.jpg
    1112 x 486 - 121K
    Post edited by stem_athome on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Now that is very clever - thanks for the tip:)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Hi,

When i used to build terrains in Carrara, I would add an extra "Custom > Terrain Layer" in the "Terrain Shader", and make that layer transparent. With that, I could also make the terrain fade away (in water depth) using the blending option (rather than a sharp edge).

Many thanks for this great tip !
    Usually, I convert it into meshes to do that but your trick with blending is better !

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Hi,

That is what I do, and I thought about posting it until I read your response.

I usually use the 3D paint tool to paint the area of the terrain I want invisible as it I feel it gives me more control, but I have used elevation as well.

edited December 1969

That is brilliant! It would have taken me years to realize I could use a shader for that! :D