exporting and importing to Lightwave 2015

I'm trying to figure out how I can export daz content - I've got daz 4.6 - to Lightwave 2015, as well as get new models I've made in Lightwave to Daz with the packed UV maps. I've had some success importing models from LIghtwave, but they don't include the uv maps. I have to put the maps in after I get into Daz. Is that normal?
Also, is Nuts 'N Bolts where I need to ask this kind of question?
Thanks

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093
    edited December 1969

You don't say what format you use, but yes it is quite common to need to reapply the textures (I assume that's what you mean, rather than having to reapply the UV mapping). FBX to LW used to work somewhat, but needed some tidying up - you do need to bear in mind that the weight maps will be replaced with a single weight map for each joint as FBX (and, as far as I know, LW) doesn't support having a different map for each axis as used in DS.

• edited December 1969

Thanks, I exported obj as that seems to be the only one that's showing up for me. I've tried fbx and my computer doesn't know what to do with that so it doesn't open with anything. How do I get that format to work properly? Lightwave and Zbrush are the 3d programs I've got... wait, I've had some luck with Zbrush transfers and such. I've always had some difficulty with uv mapping anyway, but I've transferred some stuff from zbrush and had Okay luck with it. Maybe I'll try transferring LW to Zbrush and then to Daz. Long way around, but if it works.... :)
    Thank you for your help

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093
    edited December 1969

If you go via OBJ the whole mesh must be UV mapped, you can't just partially map it (and you may not need to map all surfaces in LW - if you are using a projection for the texture, for example - so that's something to check by switching to the UV view, marquee selecting everything there, hiding, and making sure there's nothing left in the perspective view).

• edited December 1969

Great, I will try those. Thank you so much!