Content Manager is probably the worst thing to ever happen to me next to my ex-husband.

spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686

No really. Enough is enough with this fragile unstable thing!

Just formatted my drive and did a complete and fresh install of Windows 7 today. There is no windows.old folder. There is nothing, just fresh squeaky clean windows 7.

Installed DAZ 4.7. There's only one .exe file to that, RIGHT?? Or am I missing something here?!?! I went into my content at daz3d.com and double checked. Found only ONE file. So.

It won't work. In that the content manager is running but wont' even TRY to find my @$2$#@E# library. I tell it search and nothing happens.

I just noticed in this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/51137/ that apparently I'm not alone. I thought about responding there but didn't want to hijack a thread.

Stop and start CMS are both greyed out.

I have uninstalled numerous times, sometimes uninstalling content manager first and sometimes uninstalling DAZ first. I've rebooted various times. None of that is kicking DAZ into action.

I've tried installing an older version of DAZ.

I've tried telling this useless content manager to find a different database, whereupon it just HANGS at install then crashes.

When I refreshed today I was expecting to have to rebuild my personalized library structure some. But THIS? C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Are you talking about CMS, which manages the database of content, or the Content Directory Manager, which you use to tell DAZ Studio where your content is installed?

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

I'm guessing CMS. I tend to install things manually. The library won't even TRY to import data, the works. It's running, I know this because I open service and check it. I stop. I restart. Nothing.

Your icon shows very well what I want to do to DAZ tonight. :_p

edited December 1969

First off, go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, and make sure the location of your content is listed under both "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats".

edited December 1969

Yes, that's the first thing I did. More than once, to be sure I wasn't insane. There was this one time I bawled here and no one could figure it out with this situation, turns out things had been stuck in windows.old. Thus: no windows.old folder. First thing I delete these days.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

You say you have installed just a single .exe. Have you also installed the content? For a few releases now Daz Studio has been 'broken up' into the base program, Genesis, Genesis 2 (I think one install file for Male and one for Female), and another for basic lights and shaders. You'll need, at least, the shaders and lights.

edited December 1969

Well it was already installed from before I wiped the drive yesterday. I'm not upgrading to 4.7, I'm just installing with my content kept on an external hard drive. Always in the past it's been a matter of me wiping os drive, installing daz, and bawling my eyes out for hours as I try to get it to find my library settings. But this time... no working content manager at all.

edited December 1969

1) Are you seeing your content in Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats/Poser Formats?
    2) Does the Content Library list 5 top-level items (DAZ Studio Formats, Poser Formats, Other Formats, Products, Categories) or just the first 3?
    3) If it lists all 5, is there anything under Categories, even empty categories?

edited December 1969

Hey there! Sorry for the silence! Don't you love reinstalling your entire framework in the middle of a fierce deadline? It's the kind of stress everybody needs! Makes you feel alive!!

That being said, I was seeing only the top 3 levels. Daz formats, poser formats, and other formats. No products, no categories. But I got it fixed... in that lucky manner that tends to happen only AFTER I give up and post here. Here's what I did in case someone else hits my issue.

Backed up the contentdb files from the database folder. Well, they were already backed up when I started this. Anyway.
    I renamed my content folder and deleted my database folder so that DAZ would install to a blank slate. Installed DAZ from scratch.
    Told it to import metadata.
    Copy and pasted in the old library bit by bit, importing metadata every time.
    Finally finished up the copy and paste.
    Then copied in my library backup.
    File matrix is all okay.
    Only hitch is there are items that aren't working right anymore, mostly the shaders, so I'm having to find and reinstall here and there.
    But... I'm not complaining!

Don't know what caused this. Never had it hiccup so bad at me before. I hope I can remember this process for the next time, which will be soon as I have to order a blinking new motherboard. This screen is very very blue right now...