feeling guilty for not doing more with my content, lol

i'm trying to convince myself i need the ranger station

but then i remember how i needed the utopia lab, was gonna make a whole city of it.  never did. but never too late.

is a nice looking ranger station.  can prolly live without it. tho.  devilmebbe,  a couple cervezas help me think more clearly

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I enter the 48 Hour Film contest basically to goad myself into making a short animation (4 minutes minimum).  But in the days leading up to the contest, I do spend time going through my (embarassingly large) collection of purchased 3D elements, thinking of what I can use for the couple of dozen genres.  Even the feared "Western" and "Musical" ... surprise

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

the mustashio bandito. smiley ole andale.  brings to mind, where the carrara hairy coconuts.  cucaraches

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited August 2021

Looking through both my Daz 3d Product Library and my Carrara saved scene browser, there's a lot (Lot) of content that I've purchased that I don't have Carrara-optimized yet - hence, it's likely I haven't used it yet.

Of course, that's not including clothing and characters and such that I'd save nested into other sorts of saves.

Still, my content collecting isn't always about what I know that I'll need, but also about things that help to fill parts of my library that are either missing or that need more variety. 

So I am still an avid collector. A few years ago we were talking about how many pages of content we had in our Daz 3d Product Libraries. I was truly amazed at how far behind I am compared to everyone else that posted to that thread!

I guess it makes sense - I have pretty much no available budget, so Rosie and I have timed when my PC+ membership renews to be at a time when we know we can pay for it - right after we get our tax refund.

PC+ is how I get pretty much everything I have - either because it's a Daz Original, or by using the "Large Order" coupon ($6 off) or with a sale that grants non-PC+ items to be cheaper for PC+ members, etc.,

I find myself thinking the same things as that original post, and often decline getting the thing that's making me crazy - and then I see it on sale at a later time and suddenly can't live without it! LOL

That just happened recently.

I was working on my side quest of Rosie and the Winter Wolf journeying through the frozen tundra when, all of a sudden right while I was waiting for a render to finish, Daz 3d had a Christmas in July sale that offered several things from my wish list at very low prices - things that work perfectly with this whole side adventure - and this happened at a time when we truly had no extra coin to spend, yet Rosie insisted that I can get those three things.

Here's the short article I wrote about it:

Rosie and the Winter Wolf

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited August 2021

If you click the image it'll take you to the Gallery page.

Take a little look at all of the content it took to make this image.

Most of my renders take at least this many things because I tinker things to create more of what I'm looking to achieve.

I'm incredibly grateful that Daz 3d and its PAs are generous enough to toss us a line once in a while, because a lot of the things I use should have cost me a Lot more than what I paid.

Many of the Men around where I live spend their free time at the bars, shooting pool, bowling, socializing, etc., and others have their hobbies too. There are a lot of hunters around here too, and hunting is Not cheap! So I feel comfortably justified having this fine, inexpensive quirk - and Rosie's happy that this is what I do too! :)

Mystiara said:

i'm trying to convince myself i need the ranger station

I have 19 of The DigiVault's products and all of them but one have been optimized for use in Carrara and saved to my browser. The one that isn't is a new one to me and will become optimized, saved and used soon.

I know that you (Misty) have been using the PBR features by Philemo. DigiVault uses PBR shader maps, so when I edit mine by hand I change my normal shader-creation process a bit - not just for his, for for other PBR-based pieces as well.

With DigiVault, the maps are all numbered, and the domains they belong to are of the same number. This makes editing shaders a real breeze! 

Every one of his products that I own (I own more than I do not) load very nicely and have been wondeful to work with!

Just two-cents toward what you're looking at. I don't have that one yet. Eventually I'll own them all.

I love the Outpost!!!

• Dartanbeck

Dartanbeck, thanks so much for saying nice things about my products. Very much appriciated!! 

Pete

The Digivault

The DigiVault said:

Dartanbeck

Dartanbeck, thanks so much for saying nice things about my products. Very much appriciated!! 

Pete

The Digivault

It's your fault! These kits are quite splendid for me to work with - so I collect them! So...

Thank You, Pete, for making sich excellence!!!

Here's a more practical example:

The Underside

This is just a single frame from an animation, but if we look to the far left, those glowing signs are outside of the windowless space we're in. In fact, there's a whole little mini scene outside the window that's full enough of a scene that I have one where Rosie actually looks down outside to sight in the enemies that are coming for her.

These outdoor backdrop areas are fully fleshed out making use of clever material zones so we can really have fun with some neon signs glowing as expected, some out completely and some blinking in protest for still having power.

Like the backdrop-like buildings of Silent City, these outdoor buildings are well detailed and nicely modeled, but don't weigh down the scene and render immediately. Also like the building in Silent City, we can duplicate them to make more (wouldn't need to in their given scenes because The DigiVault scenes are 360) and use them in other scenes as they look fantastic.

Silent City

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Not sure if this fits into this category, but I finished this book promo a while ago...and just let it languish. It seems I have more fun creating than promoting.

Too many projects half finished...

It has been so long since I posted a video on this site I have forgotten how to do it ...   so here is the link https://youtu.be/3LFpR5JHKg0

Starboard

edited August 2021

starboard said:

Not sure if this fits into this category, but I finished this book promo a while ago...and just let it languish. It seems I have more fun creating than promoting.

Too many projects half finished...

It has been so long since I posted a video on this site I have forgotten how to do it ...   so here is the link https://youtu.be/3LFpR5JHKg0

Starboard

Um... first of all...

Wow!!! That was Fan-Tastic!!! Very, Very cool!!! So I'm also going to post this video in the "Shows That Inspire Animations" thread!!!

Second, this is how to post YouTube:

• Choose one of the following
    • With the video playing (or paused), right-click in the middle of the viewer > Copy Video URL     or

Right-click on the thumbnail that opens the video > Copy Link Address

Now start a new line in your forum message and Ctrl (Cmd) + V to paste, then hit Enter before typing anything else.

Like this:

still lovin the pbr and hdr plugins.  burnt out a lil bit on the disp maps, catching my 2nd wind.

got stuff literally in the hopper to set up in carrara.  just added a third ext usb3  give me some room to unzip.

i'm keeping the runtimes small.  connect and dropping as i work.  going mostly by vendor name.  i did a seperate one for what i want my fleet officers to have in their crew quarters, like situp benches and free weights.  the mages have their lil sorcery supplies.  ministers have their desks.  the emperor's desk is in a class all its own.  a lot of scenes in the imperial office.  ofcourse it has a fireplace and baloncy with a view.  the dragons need perches in the palace gardens.  working out how to kitbash the byoto inn into a palace garden.  without the twinklies when a dragon flies by

want to somehow combine the power pixies and ninja sprites into a lil subculture in the palace city.

i;m confused in the middle of the 41 foods.  dont understand the donut frosting.  the naming convention changed.  i really wanted the frosting for the wacky finger buns.

got plenty of pbr sets now for bricks, wood, concrete, asphalt.  the ground tilings still looking too repittive tho.  trying some wave modifiers on the planes.  its all fun!

the ranger station is on sale now.  oh the guilt

edited August 2021

So I just added to my The DigiVault collection - The Docks.

The artistic style of this set looks to me like it'll fit in perfectly with The Silent City and The Underside, both also by The DigiVault.

Also in the same sale was a couple of these Daz Originals, which I started collecting as interior scenes for the same series - The Silent City, The Underside, and now this.

Industrial Room and Props

Aftermath, Destroyed Mall... these all fit nicely in this same feel for a movie setting - and that's why I have them optimized and ready for rendering. Silent City, Underside, Aftermath, Destroyed Mall, The Artifact, Biohazard, Dark Passage, The Facility, Hard Target, Star Domes and more The DigiVault kits are actually being filmed in my production as we speak. 

Like I said earlier, these kits are fun and easy to optimize and light in Carrara and are easy on the system, fast to load, yet nicely detailed, so it's been a real Win in using these for my animations.

I can visualize the space within these scenes and animate characters in a completely empty scene to make it easier to perform simulations and such without having to turn elements off in simulation collisions, etc.,

When I'm done with my animations, I just grab the optimized scene from my browser, drop that into a Target Helper object making it super simple to then move and rotate the scene to fit the animated sequence. By using a Target Helper like this, the lights and everything I've saved with the optimized scene go along for the ride when I'm repositioning... super fun and easy way to work.

This type of workflow can be a lot less fun and simple if the geometry is too weighty, which is where The DigiVault's scenes excel dramatically in my experience. Stonemason's and TheAntFarm's are like that too. And the series of simple interior Daz Originals scenes like the one above are also very simple, yet beautiful scene kits that are very light on their feet and easy to work with. Great combination I think.

edited August 2021

Typing from memory I didn't even mention the one that started it all for me - The Outpost, again by The DigiVault.

To me these wonderful scenes are perfect for a dystopean environment and they also fit nicely with some of the kits from TheAntFarm and Stonemason - and Nightshift 3D, for that matter.

With a little lighting and camera work, it's amazing how vast of a space we can convey with just a few of these scenes - keeping the shot tight to a wall, for example, to make it seem like we're in an interior hallway or room, but we're actually using an exterior portion of The Outpost!

New to my collections is Andrey Pestryakov, whose wilderness environments are perfect for me, and now that I have both Andrey's Astral Wall and The DigiVault's Project Eden, I have ways to tie it all together as well as to provide a means to cross genres, which is something my show does. Portals and ancient places are beautiful spots to do such things!

As you can see here, I got a whole lot of Andrey Pestryakov's products in that massive PC+ Sale in June 2021!

So, yeah... I do buy a lot of things that aren't in my target for what I want to use 'right now', and I get it anyway to build up my library, but stuff from these folks gets put on the chopping block almost as soon as I get them!

Pestryakov's Astral Wall

The DigiVault's Project Eden

I can totally see adding some grunge layers to this and using it as an interior section of The DigiVault's Outpost.

This is Nightshift 3D's Sci Fi Conference Room

But many of the kits from Nightshift 3D's Odysseon Station product line would work equally as well - and they are also very nice to work with in Carrara!

For that matter, I also have a Lot of Jack Tomalin's kits that also lend very nicely to any and all of this!

the sets look really nice.  i still got the ranger station in my wishlist.

i bought a couple of the coflek ship elements sets.  finding the installs very confusing.  started over a couple of times.

i love that hyperion bar.  nightshift.  hivw of villainy and bounty hunterssmiley

edited August 2021

Mystiara said:

i bought a couple of the coflek ship elements sets.  finding the installs very confusing.  started over a couple of times.

Here's how I deal with that:

First of all, all of my Poser Runtimes are in a single folder on a separate drive. A folder called My Poser Runtimes

Inside that folder I have the various runtimes that I use to install my Daz 3d Poser content to:

• V4
    • M4
    • Mil 3
    • Mil 1-2
    • Kids
    • Animals
    • Dragons
    • Environs
    • Vehicles
    • Weapons & Props

Some of the things I get from Renderosity fit too well into these, so I'll just extract to those - like V4 clothing and hair, for example.

But I also have a separate runtime folder in the above list:

• Rendo

That's where I keep all of my Coflek-Gnorg, 3-D-C, 1971s, Winnston1984, etc.,

To install, open the zip(s) downloaded from Renderosity

Continue opening folders until you get to one called "runtime" or "Runtime" and just drag that into (in my case, the Rendo folder) your runtime folder.

With the zip still open, have a look inside Runtime to see what all is getting installed and where. 

Many of Coflek-gnorg's stuff will get it's own special folder withint the category instead of being in a "Coflek-Gnorg" folder - and it's usually named something similar to the name of the product, like "Ship Elements", for example, under Props and/or Character (Figures), whereas 3-d-c's are usually in a single 3-d-c folder.

Dartanbeck said:

Coflek-Gnorg, 3-D-C, 1971s, Winnston1984, etc.

Not to mention Cybertenko, Dreamland Models, etc.  If I had a nickel for all the dollars I've spent on those great vendors, I'd have ... about 5% of the total.  blush

i like those dystopian kiosk stands.  drinks, hot dogs.  lol

remember that flying chinese restaurant in 5th element.  heart

Mystiara said:

i like those dystopian kiosk stands.  drinks, hot dogs.  lol

Yup, they inspired part of this short animation, starts ~2:40: