Those Render Timing Numbers

Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I notice three sets of numerals in the lower left corner of the interface, during rendering. At the moment, they say --

1:20:12
7:36
00:00:00:00

In the course of the (premium) render, the top two figures change, and I intuit that row 1 is telling me the remaining length of the road ahead, and row 2 tells me the distance from the present junction to the previous one, where distance == elapsed time and junctions == passes. So what does the 3rd row tell me? From junction to junction, it remains all zeroes.

And while I'm asking these pesky questions, what units are represented by 00:00:00:00? Days, hours, minutes and seconds? I've created a scene so gnarly that an initial pass yielded a top row saying something like 1:19:54:06. I went back to Youtube and watched some of Brinnen's Basics, and I skimmed the manual, but I can't find the answer to these questions.

Needless to say, I'll be plop-rendering my way through this extremely complex scene, which I do anyway, these days. I start at the bottom and work my way up so that, if I do make corrections and have to kick-start the render again, it only takes out a bit at the top; I spot-render the change as well as any reflective consequences, and then chunder on, patch by patch.

So that leads me to another question. Is anyone offering render farm services for Bryce these days? That's the point of the above questions, actually -- how to estimate the fee measured in GHz/hrs. The above-mentioned scene is a file about 700 MB big, and could get worse. My circumstances are limited: I'm a paraplegic in a nursing facility, on public wi-fi, needing to be "flipped" from one side to another fairly regularly (and I'm only telling you this so you'll admire my ingenuity, not to elicit pity!), so digital artwork can't be done for more than a few hours at a time, when I'm lying on my left side, because the air vents on the laptop are on the right. Once the scene is composed, I set up the plop, bodge the bigger laptop (a core i3) onto my tray table and then get out the old netbook do do some internetting. A friend of mine with mechanical/welding skills is devising a frame to hold the i3 machine. This will let me use it from either side and also free up the left arm that currently has to prop up the laptop. Then I can start using multi-key commands.

The scene below (not the one referenced above) was entirely plop-rendered, and, what with corrections, epiphanies, and mind-changes, it took about two weeks to finish; it also shows that I have listened to your replies to my previous questions about haze and putting beaches on bodies of water. If the answers don't seem apparent in the result, maybe I require a bit more explainin'. ;-)

I did the beach the Chohole way, with a separate lattice groomed and slotted into the terrain.

rio_vinnie_v3.jpg
800 x 585 - 179K

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 1969

@asterlil - the third number is for animations. If you render regular, the estimated render time does not include the anti-aliasing path that can be up to 10 times longer. If rendered premium, the estimation after the 1st pass is quite reliable. And yes, its days:hours:minutes:seconds.

Bryce can network render on a home intranet, which is probably not an option for you. Bryce can not render over the public internet because it uses ephemeral ports. I made it work once but it is very difficult to set up NAT/PAT in the router. So a render farm connecting outside your place can be considered impossible.

You can look for someone that renders the scenes you send him/her by email. Here, the problem is that you must not send scenes that have a commercial product in them.

Your scene is very nice and the warm light makes it very peaceful.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,184
    edited January 2015

Hi Asterlil

Wow this is one awesome render. You are truly a special person with great artistic talent. Sorry I can't help with your question, leaving it to the experts. Love to see more of your work.

Edited: seems like Horo and I crossed posted.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Bonito LilBonito Lil Posts: 72
    edited December 1969

@Horo, thanks for your answers. What exactly constitutes 'commercial content'? Do you mean an image subsequently used in an ad or for other commercial purposes?

@mermaid10, thank you for your kind words: I see plenty of room for improvement, but always appreciate the compliment. I did used to paint for a living before my legs went bad on me -- thank heavens for digital tools! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

@asterlil - a commercial product is anything you use in your scene that is not included in the Bryce package. If you acquired stuff available for free, check the readme that came with it if there are restrictions about distributing. Often, free products can be shared but must not be sold.

edited December 1969

@Horo -- OK. I have indeed noticed the distribution caveats at ShareCG and Turbosquid and other sites. Does putting an image in the Daz gallery constitute commercial distribution? I thought the commercial restriction would only come into effect if I used the image to directly or indirectly make money, like putting it in a brochure for advertising one's business.

edited December 1969

@asterlil - the artwork you create with Bryce is yours. No matter what commercial 3D products you used to create a 2D image. There was a limit of using the artwork created for selling with the PLE version of Bryce, but the Pro version is free of this restriction. There are people that use Bryce to create commercial artwork. The copyright issue arises the moment you give away the source file or parts of it. Galleries are fine, serves to advertise how good Bryce actually is ... ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks as ever, Horo, for your help! :coolsmile: