[Released] Oso Dog Fur for Daz Dog 8 [Commercial]

Add a touch of realism and fur up those doggos!

This is a dForce Hair fur for Daz Dog 8 that captures the look of short and medium-short coats. There are presets for some of the basic textures, but you can change the textures to most other dog skins (for the most common UVs of short coat dogs).

Woof!

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,750
    edited August 2021

I tried it out on Baxter, using the fur material preset for the French Bulldog. 

I think it came out okay.

Thank you Oso.

Baxter with Oso for Frenchie.png
    700 x 1133 - 1007K
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 475
    edited September 2023

Hello,

Has something changed since this was released? I recently purchased as part of the PA sale and first started to play with it on the Labrador dog since that looked so awesome in the screenshots, but after only seeing very white colored hair on the dog, decided to try it with the default dog. I'm not having any luck and there is no help file or instructions with the product on how to use it. I've tried applying all kinds of materials from the product to the dog, but can never get good results. 

This is what I get out of box:

Oso dog

If I try and apply the Oso Dog Fur Default I get an even more white dog (body turns invisible in texture shaded and renders):

dog with hair

I'm using a generic lighting environment (iRadiance light probe HDR lighting for iray), but even if I use default lights, I still get the same result:

Dog with default lights

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something obvious? Is there a help file that can explain how to use the different settings?

Dog 8.png
    947 x 393 - 188K
    Dog with hair after dforce plus Oso Dog Fur Default.jpg
    2560 x 2560 - 1M
    Dog with Oso Dog Fur Default.jpg
    2560 x 2560 - 1M
    Post edited by Shimrian on
  • Shimrian said:

Hello,

Has something changed since this was released? I recently purchased as part of the PA sale and first started to play with it on the Labrador dog since that looked so awesome in the screenshots, but after only seeing very white colored hair on the dog, decided to try it with the default dog. I'm not having any luck and there is no help file or instructions with the product on how to use it. I've tried applying all kinds of materials from the product to the dog, but can never get good results. 

This is what I get out of box:

Oso dog

If I try and apply the Oso Dog Fur Default I get an even more white dog (body turns invisible in texture shaded and renders):

dog with hair

I'm using a generic lighting environment (iRadiance light probe HDR lighting for iray), but even if I use default lights, I still get the same result:

Dog with default lights

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something obvious? Is there a help file that can explain how to use the different settings?

You need to go to the shader settings of the fur and there create the white fur. As for the coat texture, you can create a white custom map for it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

The ghostly dog effect means you applied the fur shader to the figure, not to the fur. You need to go to the scene pane and click on the arrow next to the dog so you can see what's parented to it, select the Oso Dog Fur. You can then apply Oso Dog Fur Default.

The regular presets will only cover the most basic fur maps; if you want something a little different, you need to go into the fur surface settings and change the color maps to whatever you want. (If you've loaded a dog with the right colors, then the maps should come up in the list of maps in the scene)

• ShimrianShimrian Posts: 475
    edited September 2023

Thank you! I swear I thought I tried that before, but out of box the hair is white and so I kept trying different things to get it to not be white and somewhere along the line I applied the UV to the dog and not the Oso Dog Fur. I should have known to apply the materials on the hair itself, since that's what you do with other types of hair! Doh!

The thing that made the difference for me was to apply the Oso Dog Fur Default on the fur! It wasn't applied by default and there are so many material options I somehow missed that in my experiments (at least applying it to the actual fur instead of the dog).

Here's the happy little dog with some fur! Next up, I'll start playing with the Labrador since that's the dog I wanted to use. Thanks again!

Happy dog

Happy Dog.jpg
    2560 x 2560 - 1M
    Post edited by Shimrian on

Glad you got it sorted out and good luck with it!

• I just bought this awesome product the other day along with a bunch of the basic breeds I was missing for Dog 8. It's working beautifully on the base Doberman, Dachshund, Great Dane, French Bulldog, and Labrador as advertised.

For some reason I'm trying to figure out, switching only the texture preset to the Grey Wolf, German Shepherd, or Husky causes some patches of hair to either shrink or sink into the model. This does not happen with the Dire Wolf, Varg, or your Fox textures. Those are all I currently have.

As a main character's companion, I'm trying to create something like a Timber Dog by combining a German Shepherd or Husky-mix shape with Grey Wolf or Dire Wolf fur. Since those all have longer fur that tends to poke through clothes like the tactical vest I would like to use often, this seems like the perfect add-on for a shorter hair version, especially with all the lovely settings included.

I'll try to attach a series of renders below of the fur for German Shepherd (ODF scale 25) and Grey Wolf (ODF scale 100) textures along with their standard fur and base textures for easily toggling the images and seeing exactly what's happening. Hopefully I've merely missed some simple setting somewhere.

Thanks for any help!

German-Shepherd-0.png
    954 x 906 - 854K
    German-Shepherd-1.png
    954 x 906 - 827K
    German-Shepherd-ODF.png
    954 x 906 - 828K
    Grey-Wolf-0.png
    954 x 906 - 831K
    Grey-Wolf-1.png
    955 x 906 - 835K
    Grey-Wolf-ODF.png
    955 x 906 - 800K

Yep, figured it out: the dogs you mentioned (grey wolf, german shepherd, husky) use the (appropriately enough) 'WolfHuskyShepherd' UV mapping. And... that's not one I made a preset for, because I think I put the product out before they were released.

The UV map is used to vary fur length and presence over the dog, and is thus going to be specific to each uv map.

So you have two choices:

Convert maps from, say, Default uv maps to WolfHuskyShepherd maps and save them somewhere to make your own preset. If the sound of that makes you go Pikachu face, then:
    Use another texture, like Labrador or Great dane.

• AstraffelAstraffel Posts: 205
    edited November 2023

edit: Sorry, just saw your reply after posting and refreshing! Thank you so much for the explanation and suggestions!

// I'll leave this below, yet it's better answered above

I think I've isolated the problem, yet do not know if it can be fixed.

By going through the settings one section at a time and toggling back and forth between the Grey Wolf and Dire Wolf, I found the Grey has a UV Set called "WolfHuskyShepherd" which explains why it is affecting those specifically and not others. I assume the others have either default UVs or, like Dire Wolf, have a set that seems the same.

Unfortunately, while switching that fixes the hair, it also breaks the texture.

Unless there's a fix for this, I may be able to use a different base texture and still connect the Grey Wolf only to the hair colors if it looks alright. Alternatively, I may simply use the Dire Wolf timber color which is very pretty. I do feel I should check that one's unique UV set of for any possible breaks I've initially missed.

I'm not expecting an update or anything. While unexpected, I think I now understand why the four older breed add-ons needed their own settings. The fur is absolutely stellar on the supported models.

Any help is still welcome.

Post edited by Astraffel on
  • While the Dire Wolf's UVs are not exaclty the same, I think the slight distortions in the hair near seams is not so noticable.

If anyone's interested, I'll attach a few renders with the Default UVs, DireWolf_UVSet, and Dire Wolf's ears and tail fur added on. I remembered those elements were seperate, and I think they help cover the distortions in the ear fur. I also love that satin-like texture in the inner fur! I may still explore other textures from the supported breeds, yet I think this is even closer to a realistic Timber Dog than the Grey Wolf.

Thanks, again! This was exactly the product I needed to solve the "too much fur versus no fur" probelm I kept having.

Timber-Wolf-Default_UVs.png
    955 x 906 - 929K
    Timber-Wolf-DireWolf_UVSet.png
    955 x 906 - 931K
    Timber-Wolf-DW-Ears-and-Tail.png
    955 x 906 - 1M

Yeah, when I started this product I didn't anticipate how annoying the varied UV mapping would end up. But it's a reasonable thing in most cases: the difference between a weenie dog and a great dane are PRETTY SIGNIFICANT and it would be hard to have a single uv mapping that would avoid ugly stretching.