DS freezes often

AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Not until it crashes, it always still works but after I load a model or apply a texture it freezes for 30-60 seconds and I can't fathom why. Only started happening recently. My computer is pretty powerful with 32g of ram, 4 processors and a fast HD. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm running it 64 bit on win 8. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,075
    edited December 1969

Do you have Reality 4 installed?

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

yes, I just bought it recently.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,075
    edited December 1969

Reality 4 seemed to produce a noticeable slowing in DS. There have been updates to at least try to deal with this, which may not be incorporated in the store versions yet - check Preta3D's site.

edited December 1969

for now, how can I just turn reality off in daz? In then plugins menu? And will that solve it for now?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You may need to rename/remove the reality folder, some people have reported just deactivating it wasn't sufficient.

edited December 1969

I disabled the plugin, renamed and removed the folder, and restarted DS -but it's still happening. It's killing my workflow :(

edited December 1969

You may need to rename/remove the reality folder, some people have reported just deactivating it wasn't sufficient.

Alas, I tried that and it is still happening. :( Any updates on the problem?

• oomuoomu Posts: 175
    edited January 2015

only when you load content ?

maybe it's your storage which is too slow or under heavy load ? (others stuff during your work, like full backuping ?)

on windows 8: open the "Task Manager", it should show many statistics about your storage, if you have a huge peak when DAZ 3D loads contents.

on Os X (Mac): open the "Activity Monitor", you will see many details about activity by Daz (and others) and if they do intensive use of storage.

Of course, DAZ do use the storage so peak is hoped, but if your storage is mostly full or your computer need more RAM (32Go should be MUCH more than enough for a typical work session) it could be more slower than usual.

Task Manager / Monitor Activity allows you to see where the computer spend most of its time (waiting storage or cpu).

Post edited by oomu on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Alas, I tried that and it is still happening. :( Any updates on the problem?

sgreco1970, I had this happen in Windows 7 similar to your description and it appears to have stopped but there was bunch of things I did, I don't know if one or more of these had the effect. This is a long post but I was at this for a while and I'll try to remember what I did and perhaps one of these things might help so bear with me:

• put the reality 4.dll in a folder inside the studio folder named "disabled"

• rebooted, started with a blank scene in DS, loaded a figure and tested response of the interface in redrawn in textured mode and it was still slow, so now I have R4 disabled, on a brand new scene, it's still slow.

• checked my display settings in Studio and turned off anti-alias, set display performance to best, shut off hints, anything that was bells and whistles I didn't need got shut off (Still slow)

• Checked system fans, checked vents, blew out computer with compressed air, considered re-thermal greasing my CPU since the grease can get hard and stop working over the course of several years. Checked my drive and GPU cables, cleaned the computer vents.

• reinstalled my video drivers since they have not been updated in a while by Nvidia and apparently have not changed.

• Reset my bios (if you do this take pictures of every screen a sub screen as a reference point in case), the only change in my default BIOS is the RAM needs to be set to XMP according to the hive mind at corsair.

• Removed all attached USB devices other than mouse and keyboard, just in case.

• Watched my performance monitor and noticed spikes when I was shutting down windows or other apps and gobbling up 2GB RAM just to boot. Downloaded CPUz and took a crash course on how to read the info as it was presented, even though my i7 is 2.6GHz. it throttles itself to 1.6 when it's not doing anything, I thought this might be overheating, apparently it's normal.

• updated windows (mostly security patches)

• Reinstalled DS 4.7.x 64 bit from DIM, reinstalled my anti-virus and made sure I only had one anti-virus running (Avast 2015 free), removed any sharing app except MS OneDrive since the Google ones seem to be a little obtrusive, and set my windows firewall to default so I rely on the one in my router.

• checked my startup items and resident "load at boot" programs and turned off anything that looked fat, bloated or strung-out.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1401-startup-programs-change.html

• checked my windows display settings and changed to "best performance" and made minor tweaks. Yes it looks like windows XP but it files now.

at some point one or more of these endeavors kicked in and on a subsequent reboot DS starting playing nice again. I have Reality 2.5 running again and while Paolo works continuously on R4 I still own it and will use again in the near future while I finish up some other projects in R2.5

In addition to all this I was trying to get an older game working in W7 and I turned on my Virtual Memory to 1024Min/4096Max. While this didn't fix the game it apparently made my DS session slightly more responsive, even with 12GB of 1.6 GHz. DDR3 RAM in the system.

• oomuoomu Posts: 175
    edited January 2015

an advice from my professional work :

a bad antivirus (or too much antivirus pilling one upon the other) can slow a lot windows, if it checks ALL files opened by apps all the time.

Only uses one antivirus at the time (or the microsoft one), and only the useful features (checking new files from email/internet download, usb keys), not the gadget features.

-
    to be more exact: only install what you need for your hobby and work, nothing else. Be wary of any new extensions, software, tweaks, plugins, always download from the official website, not from third parties websites trying to force whatever adware stuff upon the real software.

Not to be closed to novelty of course, but to install what you need and remove it if it's not useful.

A computer can become a pile of crazy forgotten softwares and systems extensions it will slowly manage one after the other.

Post edited by oomu on
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

lainsd said:
    an advice from my professional work :

a bad antivirus (or too much antivirus pilling one upon the other) can slow a lot windows, if it checks ALL files opened by apps all the time.

Only uses one antivirus at the time (or the microsoft one), and only the useful features (checking new files from email/internet download, usb keys), not the gadget features.

-
    to be more exact: only install what you need for your hobby and work, nothing else. Be wary of any new extensions, software, tweaks, plugins, always download from the official website, not from third parties websites trying to force whatever adware stuff upon the real software.

Not to be closed to novelty of course, but to install what you need and remove it if it's not useful.

A computer can become a pile of crazy forgotten softwares and systems extensions it will slowly manage one after the other.

Not uncommon to see two (or more) security packages vying for the full attention of your CPU which will cause your dual Xeon server class beast to behave like a TRS-80. I shut my AV off when I'm not connected to the net on my render box but it's impossible to shut down as a service unless you uninstall, but I thought I read here (or on the Apple forums) about slowdowns caused by some extension running in Google Chrome that was affecting the system even when Chrome was not running. I can't remember what it was.

edited December 1969

SOLVED

I was hiding the wrong reality folder ><</p>

Renamed and moved, and DS is back in action again!!!

So, I know this is well past the return date, but is it possible to get a refund on Reality seeing as DS runs best when it's deleted?