No bump map in FBX?

FetitoFetito Posts: 481
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I exported a figure in FBX format, but no bump maps have been exported.

Is that normal?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,956
    edited December 1969

no, I usually have issue of having to remove the bump maps to load in to my target app iClone 5 3Dxchange as it cannot cope (I re-add them after) so must be a setting or your app reads the mtl files differently, I do have issue of mine loading many at 100% instead of 33%

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Help! The FBX exporter still does not export the bump maps. All the normal maps get exported though.

The Alembic exporter does export the bump maps too. :/

What's wrong? :(

• wilezgiaciowilezgiacio Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Same problem... how can "extract" normal maps from a Daz model?

edited December 1969

I already contacted the technical support along with some screenshot. <3</p>

edited January 2015

If it is really necessary I can export the model to other formats to take the normal maps...
    I hope it works with OBJ exporting, after i get the normals to applicate on my fbx. I need fbx models for Unity.

Post edited by wilezgiacio on
  • throttlekittythrottlekitty Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

If you're exporting from Daz Studio, the original bump map files are still in the library, you can check their location via the Surfaces tab. From there you can copy the textures to wherever you need to, or link to those files directly in your other program.

edited December 1969

I know that I can do that manually, but I want the export function to work correctly. If I export a complete city scene, I really don't want to re-configure manually most shader settings.

edited December 1969

If you're exporting from Daz Studio, the original bump map files are still in the library, you can check their location via the Surfaces tab. From there you can copy the textures to wherever you need to, or link to those files directly in your other program.

Thank You.
    Can I create normal maps that simulate the high poly mesh details to apply a low poly mesh made with decimator pluglin?

• throttlekittythrottlekitty Posts: 173
    edited December 1969

I know that I can do that manually, but I want the export function to work correctly. If I export a complete city scene, I really don't want to re-configure manually most shader settings.

Right, that would be a huge pain.

edited December 1969

I just got a confirmation of the CS that it's a bug.

Anyone else has the same issue?

• spacecat56spacecat56 Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

I just got a confirmation of the CS that it's a bug.

Anyone else has the same issue?

By same issue I guess you mean, bump and specular maps missing from FBX export?
    Yes, I have the same issue...

I'm making my first attempts to move Genesis(/2) characters through 3DX 5 to iClone 6, and the bump and specular maps are (1) needed and (2) missing in action.

I find it is incredibly tedious to re-apply those maps in iClone, because it is very slow chewing on each one, and each surface needs to be modified separately.

I saw the option "Affect all materials with the same name" in iClone and tried to make use of that by renaming the materials in 3DX (you can type over the names in the material list, and they do not have to be unique). Then I found that the iClone option does not work (SIGH).

I did find that it is much faster to apply the bump and specular maps in 3DX rather than iClone. But still very tedious since there are so many materials and I keep having to do this over and over working through the options and alternatives.

Then I saw that the "materials" in 3DX>>iClone correspond to the populated "Surfaces" listed in DAZ Tool Settings for the Geometry Editor. So to cut down on the work, I have used the geometry editor in DAZ to combine the parts of the mesh that use the same image map and settings. The combinations I am using are

ears, head, hips, neck: move to torso
    hands, forearms: move to shoulders and change the name to arms
    feet: move to legs

I leave unchanged the surfaces that may have (or want) distinct settings for bump strength, etc.

Doing the above in 3DX (an iClone) I have 3 materials (arms, legs, and torso) instead of 10 (ears, head, hips, neck, torso, hands, forearms, shoulders, feet, legs) and that saves some time.

"Of course" I save that as unique, dead-end DAZ projects solely used for export to 3DX.