Seeing up collision of objects in DAZ?

Sparkie ShockSparkie Shock Posts: 96
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey, don't know if this question gets asked often but how does one go about setting up collisions. Specifically between two people? I have two M5 models and I want to create the look of fingers touching skin and leaving an impression. How does one do that?

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,917
    edited January 2015

scott004 said:
    Hey, don't know if this question gets asked often but how does one go about setting up collisions. Specifically between two people? I have two M5 models and I want to create the look of fingers touching skin and leaving an impression. How does one do that?

In my own experience, it's a smoke and mirrors kind of thing. One of DS 4.X's major failings is the inability to have any one object collide with multiple other objects, and with the human figures it becomes even more dicey. Simply setting the figure to collide with another figure can result in a lot of unnatural distortion in other parts of the figure... or, worse, make the skin turn into a kind of virtual goo that wraps unnaturally around the other figure in some areas while others aren't still not colliding enough. So one has to use a lot of side-ways tricks to go about it.

If the contact areas are limited and simple, the quickest method may be to use dformers to simulate the effect of the collisions. For more complex interactions, I've had pretty good luck with waiting until I've completely finished everything else and then converting one or both of the figures to static objects and setting those to collide. And if you need to have a lot of control, you can use one of the above methods to create individual morphs that you can dial in as needed for each point of contact. Alternatively, one can do multiple renders with multiple areas of collision at different settings and then combine them in photoshop.

None of those are really easy solutions, of course, and I imagine that others have other, better way of doing it.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Sparkie ShockSparkie Shock Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Hmm .. I had a brief look at the dformer .. thing .. enough to say .. WTF is going on? It's really not very artist friendly that thing but I guess ther'll be a youtube vid somewhere explaining it. Still at least I know where to look now. I wonder if Carrara has better collision thinga-majiggies .. (Sorry I've no idea about the technical terms for this stuff .. so it all gets lumped in with 'thing') :P

Many thanks

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,917
    edited December 1969

Glad I could help a little, though hopefully someone else will chime in with some alternatives.

And yeah, Dformers really aren't easy to get into at first, but they're incredibly useful once you get the hang of them. The best video tutorial I know of is Carnite's at http://youtu.be/7SEBV2GHJHA It's for a slightly older version of DS, but everything still works basically the same.

edited December 1969

Problem I'm having is every time I try to use Dform .. it just gives me the error message 'Nothing selected!!" .. well I've highlight stuff in the scene menu so what the hell does it want from me? I'll check out that video.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

If you're applying a Dform to a weight-mapped figure you need to select the root of the figure.

edited December 1969

I have no idea what a weighted map figure is? .. Is M5 a weighted map? :sigh: .. I guess i'll have to figure that out as I go. But I guess what you're saying is that I have to select the full M5 figure?? .. and not the body part I'm trying to do stuff to. Why can't this be easier eh!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited December 1969

Yes, Michael 5 is Genesis, the first DAZ weight-mapped figure.