Genesis 8 in Carrara crashing

when trying to load the figure Genesis 8 female in Carrara 8.5 pro, Carrara crashes. Doesn't Genesis 8 work with Carrara?

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Misty did a Preset for Genesis3, Genesis 8, and 8.1. Only the 8.1 Preset is available at Renderosity https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88523/carrara-presets-for-genesis-81

Clothes and hair need to be converted to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Khoe, the only officially supported version of Genesis that works in Carrara is Genesis1.  Unofficially Genesis2 works too.  The normal Genesis3 and Genesis8 will both crash Carrara and not work, however Misty (an awesome and prolific forum member) ingeniously created a Gen3male, Gen3female, Gen8male, and Gen8female version that will load and work in Carrara (as Bunyip linked above).  If you download and use Misty's figures, they will work fine.  :)

I'm a Genesis1 fan myself, though.  Never saw the need for the later versions, personally.   :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i was ever able to correct the g8 geometry toe issue within the preset.    8.1 does not have the issue

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/469526/genesis-8-1-presets-8-5-1-19-other-presets/p1

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

As Jonstark mentions, Genesis 1 is the only actual fully supported version of Genesis in Carrara 8.5.

Genesis 2 will work, but the auto-fit features will not recognize that it's a different generation Genesis figure (nor that it's not unisex), so it just doesn't work. There are ways around that, but I find it easier to simply add the newer shapes of the newer Genesis figure to the Genesis 1 figure rather than tio jump through hoops for everything I want to do.

Content Generations Conversion is an article I've written for making clothing (etc.,) for Genesis 2-8 into versions that fit directly to Genesis 1 without using auto-fit.

Genesis 1 Rocks!!! is an article I've written, showing some of the tools I use with Genesis 1 so that I can incorporate shapes from generation 4 (V4, M4, Kids 4 and their respective families), and Genesis 2 - 8 directly onto Genesis 1 as morphs and their respective dials.

That said, Misty's work on Carrara-compatible presets is a lot of fun to explore as well! Here's my Genesis 8 Alita Battle Angel, using Syph

Syph actually uses Daz 3d's GeoShell technology to give her the Cyborg body appearance. 

Since we don't have/need that in Carrara, I simply applie the Cyborg GeoShell textures directly to Misty's G8F (Veronica Wr8th) using the alpha mash that the product uses on the GeoShell. As we can see, I edited the neckline to be a bit more on the sexy side.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited August 2021

Khoe, people here seem to be unaware or forgetting that Misty pulled both G3 figures (Janette and Johnathon) from her Rendo store.  As a result, all the links to those characters in this forum, Carrara Cafe, and Dart's website no longer work.

Of course, this happened just a few days before I finally decided to buy them. sad

If she won't put them back in the store, maybe she would consider posting them in her free section?

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • KhoeKhoe Posts: 308
    edited August 2021

It's a shame that the newer Daz figures in Carrara no longer work. Thanks to everyone who signed up here. I found a way to bring the figures to Carrara. They can then no longer be animated. Since I only create images, that's not that bad. I use Dazstudio to bring the figures into their position and put on the clothes then I export them to OBJ with textures. then import in Carrara. Adjust textures. that works for my purposes. Maybe someone will invent a converter .. you never know;)

first Render after Import Genesis 8.1 with .obj File

Test-Genesis 8.jpg
    864 x 1080 - 84K
    Post edited by Khoe on

What the hell? Syph is no longer in the Daz 3d store, neither is the PA. Hmnpf!

UnifiedBrain said:

Khoe, people here seem to be unaware or forgetting that Misty pulled both G3 figures (Janette and Johnathon) from her Rendo store.  As a result, all the links to those characters in this forum, Carrara Cafe, and Dart's website no longer work.

Yeah, bummer.

Khoe said:

It's a shame that the newer Daz figures in Carrara no longer work. Thanks to everyone who signed up here. I found a way to bring the figures to Carrara. They can then no longer be animated. Since I only create images, that's not that bad. I use Dazstudio to bring the figures into their position and put on the clothes then I export them to OBJ with textures. then import in Carrara. Adjust textures. that works for my purposes. Maybe someone will invent a converter .. you never know;)

first Render after Import Genesis 8.1 with .obj File

The newer Genesis 3 and 8 and 8.1 use technology that hasn't been adapted over to Carrara. That's what they were working on when they still had Carrara on the development floor. They did get the dual quaternion skinning to work, but not all the way to being compatible with Genesis.

I say this because I'm pretty sure that this means that a 'convertor' is kind of out of the question for now. I could be wrong.

RiverSoft Art has convertors for transferring shapes from one generation of Genesis to the next. I have Genesis Generation X2 and the add-ons, so I can already convert from Genesis 3 and 2 to Genesis, and the other way around. And now having RiverSoft Art's Character Convertor from Genesis 8 Female to Genesis 3 Female, I can add Genesis 8 Female shapes to Genesis 3 Female, then use GenX2 to send those shapes to Genesis.

Where it probably sounds like that's a lot to go through, it really isn't. For me, getting to know the contents of the Data > DAZ 3D > Genesis folders is the magic. From that folder I can experiment all I want and simply delete morphs if I don't want them to be part of my Genesis anymore.

But as Vyusur will point out, we may be able to get the shapes working, but we still have to be careful with posing the joints. We might be getting the new shapes (which I really like), but we're not getting the new rigging or UV Mapping changes. 

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

I recall the whole point of the genesis product was to standardize a model so you never had to worry about things being incompatible... 

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Dartanbeck said:

All of them are on renderhub now.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Vyusur said:

Dartanbeck said:

Thanks for the info.  Like Dart, I was not even aware that Marcius was gone.  Made very creative products with detailed skin textures that look great in Carrara.  I plan to use one in an upcoming Challenge.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Vyusur said:

Dartanbeck said:

Thanks Vyusur, I didn't even know Renderhub existed before.  Got it bookmarked now, looks like it's nearly all newer stuff though (no Gen1 that I could see).  However, I can convert  :) 

Mystiara said:

i was ever able to correct the g8 geometry toe issue within the preset.    8.1 does not have the issue

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/469526/genesis-8-1-presets-8-5-1-19-other-presets/p1

I have Testet , yes it Works fine :) Thanks

edited August 2021

it is possible to use genesis 8.1 in Carrara with these two tools. I understand it this way I convert Genesis 8 to Genesis 3 then I use Genesis 2x as a basic figure and I can then open this in Carrara. or is that wrong.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-18.jpg
    940 x 245 - 32K
    Post edited by Khoe on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Khoe said:

it is possible to use genesis 8.1 in Carrara with these two tools. I understand it this way I convert Genesis 8 to Genesis 3 then I use Genesis 2x as a basic figure and I can then open this in Carrara. or is that wrong.

Carrara needs Misty's preset to open Genesis 3. As she has removed that Preset from the Renderosity shop you would have to convert all the way to Genesis or Genesis 2.

Gen X2 to convert to Genesis 2 would need the additional plugins - GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 2 - https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2

and GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 3 - https://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3

that is a bit too complicated and prone to errors. I think that I will go further for the pictures with export to .obj and import into Carrara. It was just an idea. Too bad that the preset from Misty's is no longer available.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

I just saw this in another thread, it could work for creating morphs for M4 and V4 which have more vertices, you could use HD obj exports of the G8 Characters  Tposed

I do something similar but fiddlier in Zbrush with Zprojection and the move and smooth brushes

Also Philemo's plugin may work on the 8.1 preset by Misty using G8 obj (it does the other way)

Blender can bake and transfer the textures over too (I use Ultimate Unwrap3d)

Khoe said:

Well, kind of. Not 8.1, but 8. I'm not sure if there's an 8.1 convertor yet, since I don't have much at all for 8.1 to convert, so I never looked.

Here's exactly how I do it... like this:

1. Use the Character Convertor to get the Genesis 8 shape into a Genesis 3 character preset
    2. Use GenX2 (and the Genesis 3 add-on) to then add those shape morphs to Genesis 1 or 2

Now, we won't exactly have a Genesis 8 figure, but a Genesis 1 or 2 figure with the Genesis 8 shapes.

Note: Toon and Stylized shapes (where the eyes are big and stylized) don't convert well using the convertor. There are work-arounds in the forum for this, but I've been unsuccessful in doing it so far. 

I tried converting Thorne and Handspan Studio's "Lara", and the eyes become truly unusable in every attempt I've tried. But Sol and other shapes worked great!

Using Misty's Genesis 8.1 preset for Carrara is the only actual way that I know of to get a working Genesis 8.1 figure into Carrara - but it still won't truly be Genesis 8.1 at all because our version of Carrara doesn't support the skinning. So it will be Genesis 8.1, but without the technology that goes with it.

I know that this is getting slightly off topic here, but the workflow I use is like this:

For Genesis 2, 3 and 8 as well as any other DUF figure not supported ny Carrara,

1. Build the character with clothing and hair in Daz Studio - save it as a Scene Subset
    2. Animate or pose the character
    3. set the lighting and render settings
    4. render the image without anything else in the scene

Then

1. Build the scene in Carrara and save it
    2. Set the lighting and camera angle to work with the render done in Daz Studio
    3. Render the scene in Carrara

Now we have two images. The character was rendered to Alpha, so everything will be completely transparent except for the character.

Combine this Character render over the Scene render.

I use Fusion and/or HitFilm to do this because mine are animated. For still images I use Affinity Photo or PD Howler, but one could also use Gimp.

If I need the character in the scene within Carrara, I use the procedure I mention in the post above this to make a Genesis 1 figure of the right shape.

Of course, then there's Wendy's method above that. That's getting more involved than I like, but I'd persue that if I still preferred V4/M4 over Genesis 1 - and there are plenty of reason where generation 4 would be a great choice. But Genesis 1 and its Auto-fit capabilities, along with the GenX2 magic, has been the figure of choice for me. 

Another example is the fact that, by using Genesis 1, I can use Michael 3 boots on my female hero!

This is her in Carrara (using hair that I can only use for still images)

This is her rendered in Daz Studio using OctaneRender for DS Free version

Dartanbeck and the scenery were rendered separately - both Rosie and Dart were rendered on their own as described above

It's all a bit complicated and confusing. I will probably go the way that I dress my figure in the studio and then pose. Then export it to an .opj file and import it into Carrara. Provide the skin textures there with subsurface catering and adjust the bumb. That seems like the easiest way at the moment.
    you can only repeat it over and over. It's a shame that Daz Carrara drops