deleting key frames

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Why, Why is it that when you sometimes Delete a key frame, the object Continues to follow that key frame setting!?

I've had too many projects now where I've had to Clear the object to place a another; simply to get around the annoying quirk of the program not Fully deleting that key frame. I do know that sometimes you need to click the key several times. Still.

Example. A sphere to go over to X at key frame around 1 minute. Yet I'll delete that key frame... but then Bryce decides to keep that setting... No matter what I do, short of clearing the object. So the sphere keeps going over to X!!!

Comments

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited January 2015

It's because you've set a keyframe later than the one you're deleting.

Imagine a rubberband stretched around 4 pins in a table, labeled 1 to 4, forming a four-sided shape. That shape is your trajectory, starting from pin 1, ending at 4, and the pins are your keyframes.

If you remove pin 3, the rubberband will still travel to the end keyframe, but the shape will deform a little.

I cover several examples of deleting keyframes in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xq-3yNP8rY

Now... Specifically about "I do know that sometimes you need to click the key several times." There are a couple of reasons you might not be able to delete a specific keyframe.

1) You have the wrong object selected. Some objects are grouped or parented with other objects doing the same thing. For instance, if you have a stone on a trajectory, then you group it with a stone on a different trajectory but is virtually identical to the first, then group them together... You might get confused about why deleting one keyframe is still making one of the stones follow their original line.

2) You've adjusted the frame rate. Say you originally started with a frame rate of 20 fps. You place a keyframe for a sphere at 1 minute, 1 frame... or 01:00.01, as Bryce might put it. Then later, you decide to adjust your frame rate to 10 fps. You set a keyframe again at 01:00.01... Ah, but this time that last ".01" is not the same as the first ".01". To delete the keyframe set at 20fps — twice the frame rate of the current 10fps — you need to find a way to navigate to half a keyframe... and no such unit exists.

Adjusting frame rates can cause this 'click several times' problem, but really it's a case of simply not being able to select a keyframe that the current frame rate is unable to address. (You can always revert back to 20fps and delete that original keyframe if you wish.)

The AML is the best point to locate and destroy rogue keyframes.

1. Select the object that needs keyframes culled.

2. Enter the AML. ( CNTL/CMD-T, Menu > Objects > Motion Lab..., or click the the little sinusoidal button at the bottom right of the animation toolbar. )

3. Click the object name to open its parameters.

4. select the whitish tick mark (a keyframe) on the appropriate timeline. It should now be far whiter than other keyframes.

5. Press Delete on your keyboard.

6. (Optional) You might see other timelines with keyframes set that you don't really need. You can SHIFT-click on the name of the parameter to reveal a drop-down menu: select Delete All Keyframes. Rest assured, this command only deletes all keyframes FOR THAT SPECIFIC PARAMETER, not all keyframes for the object, and certainly not all keyframes for the entire scene.

Done.

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks. I don't adjust anything. I even delete Every key frame...and it will still do it, Sometimes. So it seems more like a glitch because it's sometimes. I had to delete every object in my clip and bring in new ones. For some whacked reason. the torus started doing the same thing.

From what I saw this time, the torus, for whatever reason, kept moving back to it's Original spot where Bryce places it when you first bring it in.

So I can key frame the torus to A to B to C to D.....and somewhere in that circuit.... it will try to jump back to that Original starting point when when I first created it. It will jump back there even when there is No key frame for that - or no key frames set (having been deleted) at all!

This has been my ongoing experience with Bryce and I have lost an incredible amount of time due to this one glitch - having to do much of everything two or three times until it certain objects behave.

My pc's always seem to do stuff like this. I can't even use Studio anymore because regardless of the help it does it's own thing. I'll download and install something and Studio sees it and loads it fine. I'll try this with something else and it might see it but won't load it etc. Out of about six models I got to get into Studio, only two have been loaded. For some reason doing the exact same thing which worked before doesn't work, as regards loading a model.

So I got the After Effects trial and will venture into new territory. I'll keep at Bryce but this oddity is quite the task. One time, the radial light I had set perfectly within a scene all of a sudden stopped emitting light altogether and never came back.....

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Well, since you have to start again, start Bryce anew, then make sure to turn OFF "Auto-key" before you add ANYTHING. Then build your project making your keys manually.

• edited December 1969

Yes I'm aware of that. I'm guessing it's a glitch because I did do what you said yesterday... and the torus, did it again. No key frame to x... but then it will scoot over there at the worst possible moment. But it behaved enough this time and we're rendering, Very slowly.

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Hi kzerial,

If it's not too much bother, and if you have a copy, I'd really like to see this file. Unfortunately just describing this problem isn't specific enough. I'm pretty sure the recommendations I gave will kill any keyframes but of course, there could well be a problem with the file.

So if you could make the file available, and let me know your OS and which version of Bryce you're using, I'd appreciate it. Be aware: I'm not an employee or answerable to DAZ3D in any way, and if you choose to send me the file your confidentiality is assured. This is just... professional curiousity :)

• edited December 1969

Thanks but that's ok. I've got the After Effects trial so we'll see where this leads.