How to stop cloud material 'ripping'

WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I remember watching a tute on wow to fix cloud materials that render kind of 'shredded/ripped' but don't recall the name of the tute or where I saw it and have had no luck locating on Youtube. I believe it was by David Brinnen. I'll accept advice from anyone at this point as I really don't like to use postwork to 'fix' things, but rather for adding special FX and such. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 1969

If you're talking about the 'layer' effect you see - almost like terracing in the cloud edges, i believe it's a quality setting at the bottom of the materials lab main page list. David Brinnen has a Volume Cloud Editing video (maybe part 2?) that mentions/covers some of this effect. If you can't find it, I'll see if I can and post a link.

If you're talking about ripping, where cloud shapes/objects intersect and distort each other with the primitive edge shapes being very obvious, I too would like to know if anyone has suggestions/tips.

cheers.
    mindsong

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited December 1969

Layering or terracing of volumetric clouds is due to a low quality setting. Moving up quality also moves up render time. Volumetrics must not touch each other, this very often creates undesired results. It's a known bug.

• WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
    edited December 1969

Thank you mindsong, and Horo. I only use 1 volume slab for the cloud material and often it looks like it is as you have described "layered/terraced" effect.

I was going to do a render without changing my settings to show what I meant, but after several attempts have been unable to reproduce the effect (go figure) lol

Thank you both again
    Charlie