Where are my recent DIM downloads going?

HeavyDHeavyD Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I need help understanding where Carrara files (Runtimes) should be located on my drive. What should the file structure be? My recent downloads via DIM are not showing up in Carrara 8.5 Pro so I am guessing they are not installing in the same location as the files I can find in on the Content tab Carrara.

Also, my Smart Content isn't in its tab. I went into DIM to download the beta version but DIM fades out and disappears when I hit the Start Queue button. Then I can't find it or restart it. It's not minimized, just gone! What's up with that?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Runtimes are a Poser file structure that Carrara can read. They are in the Content tab as you mentioned.

Carrara's files don't need a runtime. If you bought a Carrara specific object, and assuming DIM installed it correctly, then it may be in one of the other Browser tabs.

A dynamic hair set for instance, should be under the Object tab. A shader set should be somewhere under the Shader tab. Most likely you will need to manually add the folder that contains these items to the appropriate browser tab.

If you can give us an example, perhaps we can help with more specific answers.

As to how to use DIM to locate files, I can't really answer that as I don't use it.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

There is a forum administrator who goes by fixmypcmike who is very knowledgeable about installations, downloads, and DIM. I would recommend (1) submitting a ticket to the Daz help/tech folks, (2) searching the forums for a post by fixmypcmike and then click on his profile to send him a message either describing your problem or pointing him to your post, and (3) we can try to help you but I would need more information on your system, how and where you have attempted to install Carrara and subsequent content, and any error messages you are getting.

The following thread has some information on how to find where DIM put your Carrara-related stuff.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/51323/

• edited December 1969

Highlight the item in DIM and then check Show Details. In the details display click Show File List... and you get to see where the files 'should' have gone.

The raw zip files are in ../DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads

Where they turn up in Carrera is a complete mystery and for some Carrara specific models I bought to kick start playtime the only way I could find to get them into the model was to open the obj file directly.

With some Bryce material it appears that the only thing DIM did was download the ZIP...I'm currently working my way through my product list to make sure everything was actually installed.