Feature request: reactive shaders to create seam effects like water edge at shore

Say you have an actor standing in water up to the waist. If you apply a full wetness skin geoshell it will cover the entire body or if the product has it, segements. 

But you will never quite catch the right angle. You'd want the figure to have wet skin only just a bit over the waterline. 

Same issue: you have terrain textures, and where water starts they are dry even where they touch the waterline. Does not occur in nature. 

Solution: primitive cube colliding with actor or object, telling the shader "let wet effect show here!" 

(Illustration in next post.)

Comments

• pixelquackpixelquack Posts: 285

I can't use pasteboard.co here, bummer - please look at the attached images: 

1. actor standing in water shin deep

2. added geoshell with wet effect that only shows the effect while immersed in an "activator primitive"

3. add the primitive, here a cube

4. result: figure wet skin only shows a bit above the waterline where the cube ends. cube itself becomes visible in render and can be set to opacity for arranging

What this would need to work is fading density in the cube, so it would have to have a gradient towards the top surface so the water effect has no hard stop but fades a bit, could possible be done with height maps? bump maps? Not sure yet how this could be done.

The big question is, can this be done in Daz at all? 

Oh, and since I mentioned the shore in the title: same would work for a shader cast over the ground texture (or its geoshell) with a wet effect for the ground and then closely match a giant cube primitive over the water.

1.png
    1000 x 800 - 39K
    2.png
    1000 x 800 - 42K
    3.png
    1000 x 800 - 47K
    4.png
    1000 x 800 - 43K
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,503
    edited August 2021
    Just one thing: In UltraScenery Howie has created a bunch of shaders for logs and stones that are altitude dependant. The US water table is Y=0, and all edge based stones and logs are dark to a height of 2.5cm or so, and above that they're lighter coloured. So, part of what you are looking for is extant.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on

Interesting, thanks. I'll see if I get a comment on if this can be applied to arbitrary objects, too. I'd buy for sure.

• pixelquack said:

Solution: primitive cube colliding with actor or object, telling the shader "let wet effect show here!"

Use a "Iray Decal Node". You can add a gradient texture to give the fadeout.

Note: In the "Iray decal node" parameters, change it to world or object coordinates, with a cubic projection. You can use "surface > Geometry > cutout" to control the effect.