Obj export - Losing the origin/hot pt

TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to export a simple prop (a door) from C8.5 to use in Studio. The problem I have is that in Carrara, the hot point is at one edge of the door - at the hinge. But in the obj file, the hotpoint gets centred, so the door rotates around its mid point and not around the hinge.

(The issue happens even if I reimport the obj to C8.5, so it's an export problem rather than an import one). Short of adding an invisible counterweight to the door (!) any idea how to fix the export?

Ta :)

Screen_Shot_2015-01-20_at_12.31_.05_.png
1276 x 833 - 700K
Screen_Shot_2015-01-20_at_12.34_.39_.png
1353 x 861 - 838K

Comments

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,099
    edited December 1969

Fixing the export I could not say. I have the same issue when I export from blender.
    You can solve this directly in DAZ Studio : select your door, activate the joint editor tool (ALT SHIFT J) and you have arrows allowing you to move the origin of the object in DAZ. Once done, save as figure/prop asset, and when reloading you should have your door with the origin on the right place.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited January 2015

Tim_A said:
    I'm trying to export a simple prop (a door) from C8.5 to use in Studio. The problem I have is that in Carrara, the hot point is at one edge of the door - at the hinge. But in the obj file, the hotpoint gets centred, so the door rotates around its mid point and not around the hinge.

(The issue happens even if I reimport the obj to C8.5, so it's an export problem rather than an import one). Short of adding an invisible counterweight to the door (!) any idea how to fix the export?

Yes, it does that :-(.
    If, instead of using hotspot, you translate the mesh in the vertex room so that the hinge is in 0 in X and Y axis, it is preserved in export/import if using the FBX format. Cannot try with studio right now, but it may work.
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Kadix said:
    Fixing the export I could not say. I have the same issue when I export from blender.
    You can solve this directly in DAZ Studio : select your door, activate the joint editor tool (ALT SHIFT J) and you have arrows allowing you to move the origin of the object in DAZ. Once done, save as figure/prop asset, and when reloading you should have your door with the origin on the right place.

That does the trick - kinda like CapsLock in Carrara. Thanks :)

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,099
    edited December 1969

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

A question (perhaps stupid), why do you want to work in DS if you own Carrara ?
    DS could be a "plugin" for Carrara and not the reverse... ;-)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited January 2015

Because not everyone else is so enlightened... ;-)

Post edited by TangoAlpha on