Lost a very important category - HELP!

Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am very frazzled now and hope this makes sense. I have categorized DAZ Studio since I first started using it. I am using the latest build and the latest CMS. I just went to use an M4 character and none of my characters are there. My subcategory for M4 of characters is missing. My main category in this area is people, then male, then M4, then characters. Under characters are all my M4 characters and there are tons of them. I went to access one and found the whole category of characters gone. I have exported my data on 1-09-15, but I have no idea when this happened. Does anyone have a suggestion? I cannot rebuild my categories. I have looked all over to see if that category somehow got moved. That has occasionally happened, but it seems to have just disappeared.

If I cannot get it back, then I'm basically finished because there is no way I can rebuild the categories. Being handicapped, all I do is work on the computer doing my art, so this would be devastating to me.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

A couple of suggestions:
    1) Make sure the missing files are actually on your hard drive, just in case.
    2) Check Content Directory Manager to make sure none of your content folders got removed from the list.
    3) If you know the exact filename of one of your characters, search for it in the Content Library search box -- if it's there, right-click on it and choose Categorize, then follow the highlighted categories to see if it got moved somewhere, chances are they're all there and you can move it back where it's supposed to be.
    4) If it's not there, re-import metadata and just select User Data -- it won't duplicate things that are in the right place or remove anything, but add the ones that are missing. Since the backup is only 2 weeks old, even if some recent things are missing it shouldn't be a lot of effort to recategorize them.

• Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited January 2015

I am checking by going through your list. I do know the names of the files. When I do a search in the Content Library search box, all the pertinent files for a character are there. But when I do categorize, nothing is highlighted like it is for files under other categories. For example, my V4 women characters show where they are supposed to be and they are correct. it is all my M4 characters that are missing from my categories.

I checked on the user data and it states under properties Created Dec 5, 2014; modified Jan 9, 2015. I guess I will take a chance on this. Unfortunately, I have not used M4 males for at least 2-3 months, so this might have happened months ago.

Thanks again.

Post edited by Paula Sanders on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

If you have several backups of your exported user data, you can either work backwards, re-importing the current set, and if that doesn't have the missing categories, copy that version elsewhere and replace it with the older one until you find one. You can also open them in a fiole editor -- they're plain text files, so you can search for a filename to see if it's there.

I assume you're using the PostgreSQL CMS?