Resources - Brushes

rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
edited January 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Looking through the Sale content in the shop I noticed a large amount of content called "brushes".

From what I can tell most are photoshop files.

My interest is 3d animation videos.

Are brushes for static scenes or not?

I was thinking if you had a large grouping of very similar brushes you might actually use a series of them to use in animation.

Then I suppose you would have to review the files carefully to determine, their application.

My thinking would be to just use particles in Carrara and create the effects.

I mean if you trying to animate an anchor being lifted from the water all the water dripping off the anchor during animation could be done with a proper series of pictures.png that were made from photos taken time lapse with frames very close together.

It looks to me, if you use photoshop static images in animations it would require tediously applied placement and keyframing

Looks like, if my thinking is right... a lot of time consuming work.

Maybe best to just have the actors say..."they just lifted the anchor" and let viewers visulaze it.

Also, I would think you really want to get some feedback from other users what brushes work best for what you are doing.

There are so many, and there are many that are for basically the same thing.

You may thimk this is a simple point, but in IClone there are no "brushes" sold as content.

iclone has a timeline, with keyframing as well. Maybe, I missed it altogether and brushes may have particular application in DAZ3d Studio, which I am not familiar.

Post edited by rampart_1576840087 on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

mostly for 2D but you could I suppose render out brushes with alpha and use on planes or in particles, in Iclone too
    I got Ron's water ones to use in gimp and could see using a transparent background how it could be done but not tried.
    Something like project Dogwaffle would be better for that, Dartanbeck probably will tell you all about it :lol:

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Yeah... you know, you could probably get some really nice results just using brushes images as texture masks, gradient controllers, etc., for particles. Cool idea.

GKDantas (has a store here at DAZ 3D) loaded a whole pack of "Ron's Scratches" into Carrara's 3D Painter, and saved them each as individual Carrara 3d Paint brushes. I bought them and love them. I've also bought all of Ringo's brushes and love those too.

Most brushes that I know of are simply image files designed to create an effect when used as a PS brush. I cannot see why you couldn't use them as shader helpers for anything. Hmmm... I just might buy some of those too!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Looking at the dogwaffle Howler videos on youtube last night while I was playing with it to try and learn a little, I stumbled across a video where they take photoshop brushs and convert them for use in dog waffle howler

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

If you're creating your own textures and shaders, they're extremely useful - I use loads of grunge and scratch brushes in the process of "dirtying up" my models, whether it's tiny scratches on a metal surface or grime in the corners, cracked up plaster on the walls, or whatever.

I suspect you could use them on characters for cuts & bruises etc. But you'd need to apply them to a 2d bitmap, and multiply them into the diffuse channel, or similar.

But their application is primarily in the creation of assets.