quicky tip/question thread

2»

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks mschack et Stezza for those suggestions :) I guess Carrara just likes to be random sometimes :)

I wonder if a shortcut is available in preferences

• motion tab centre hotpoint, edit send to origin?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

motion tab centre hotpoint, edit send to origin?

yes that's what I spend my carrara life doing :)

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited September 2021

I made this thread to put quick tips as well...

(TIP)

I just thought of this, not sure I've seen it before, that is if you want a place to put endless scene notes to yourself or others just use a text object and make it invisible in the scene.

To see/edit the notes just edit the text object.

untitled.PNG
    1858 x 1080 - 267K
    Post edited by mschack on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Good idea.  Thanks.

Diomede said:

Good idea. 

plu s onethumbs up

edited September 2021

Does anyone know how to marquee select polys from the middle of the object without just selecting and draging the first one you touch?

Post edited by mschack on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2021

Hmmm, nothing clean comes to mind.  But I would recommend 

a) the paint brush selection tool (although that does select the first one you touch, but my reply would be 'why did you touch it?)

b) use wireframe view and the lasso tool to select vertexes (but beware any back faces - may have to hide those first).

c) ask myself how important is the marquee selection tool in this process?

Post edited by Diomede on

Your self responds, "Very important if you want to select say 18000 polys in the middle of a 150000 poly object"

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Here's a tip that took me years to think of:  Make sure your monitor is pointed flat towards you while working.  Yeah, I recently realized that I had been viewing my monitor at an angle for years, which means I wasn't fully able to see/appreciate the colors of what I was working on.  Probably no one else in the world has made this mistake, but I thought I would mention :)

• I do point selection in wireframe view to avoid the ones I don't want can hold shift and select more and also click + to grow if want to too

The lasso in wireframe works in certain circumstances, as you can click not on a poly, as Diomede pointed out it only works if there is no geometry in the background.  I was hoping for a magical key to  'please don't select this one polygon' when i try to drag select.  Next version... wink

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527

Jonstark said:

Whoops, got that wrong, it can't generate Displacement maps, guess I had a false memory.  :)

It can generate a Height map.  Is that not the same as Displacement?  

ProPose said:

Jonstark said:

Whoops, got that wrong, it can't generate Displacement maps, guess I had a false memory.  :)

I think you can use a height map in a displacement channel in a pinch, but I don't know how true displacement maps are created in the first place, I always thought they came from an actual piece of mesh that was displaced and that was mapped using some special tool to turn it into a texture, but I'm completely ignorant on the subject, I admit :)  So maybe yes... worth testing to find out!  But it's already late, and I should have gone to bed an hour ago :(  Never enough hours in the day... 

ProPose said:

Jonstark said:

BTW ProPose, I recently was catching up on forum threads at the other place, and saw a comment you made that intrigued me, to the effect that you were using a modified version of Janette in which you had made her anatomically correct using the Studio geometry editor.  I was intrigued by this; have you found a workaround/solution to the problems plaguing us in Carrara with respect to geografts?   

Jonstark said:

ProPose said:

Jonstark said:

I think you can use a height map in a displacement channel in a pinch, but I don't know how true displacement maps are created in the first place, I always thought they came from an actual piece of mesh that was displaced and that was mapped using some special tool to turn it into a texture, but I'm completely ignorant on the subject, I admit :)  So maybe yes... worth testing to find out!  But it's already late, and I should have gone to bed an hour ago :(  Never enough hours in the day... 

I like it when I learn somethin.  thanks....and you're right,  not enough hours in a day.  Less and Less the older you get. 

Jonstark said:

ProPose said:

Jonstark said:

BTW ProPose, I recently was catching up on forum threads at the other place, and saw a comment you made that intrigued me, to the effect that you were using a modified version of Janette in which you had made her anatomically correct using the Studio geometry editor.  I was intrigued by this; have you found a workaround/solution to the problems plaguing us in Carrara with respect to geografts?   

Yes I have, and although not perfect in all respects, it works for me.  You need DS4.10 though.  I tried with DS4.15 and DS4.12 and I don't get the same results as in DS4.10

I could put together a Mini Tut,  but screen grabs probably wouldn't cut it given the topic.  

ProPose said:

I could put together a Mini Tut,  but screen grabs probably wouldn't cut it given the topic.  

I checked and I've got 4.12 currently.  Got an older version of 4.8 on my laptop, but sadly I don't have 4.10.  Still I'm very interested, even if pics can't be done (well except maybe specific screen grabs of what buttons you're clicking), just written description of your process would fantastic, not to press you but geografts have driven me crazy since forever.  Any workable solution, no matter how imperfect, would be very valuable. 

Jonstark said:

ProPose said:

I checked and I've got 4.12 currently.  Got an older version of 4.8 on my laptop, but sadly I don't have 4.10.  Still I'm very interested, even if pics can't be done (well except maybe specific screen grabs of what buttons you're clicking), just written description of your process would fantastic, not to press you but geografts have driven me crazy since forever.  Any workable solution, no matter how imperfect, would be very valuable. 

OK I'll work on something to share.  I'll add screen grabs where I can 

edited September 2021

Not sure if I can add a zip file but I'll find out.

edit to add... Document is rtf format and contains adult content 

zip
    zip
    Make Your own Real Janette.zip
    3M
    Post edited by ProPose on

ProPose said:

Wow, excellent ProPose, that came through just fine, I was able to unzip and view/read.  Looks excellently explained and that I'll be able to follow step-by-step.  Like I said, I don't actually have the right version of Studio for this, but I'll give it a try later today using what I do have and see what happens, and what I can do to correct.  I never knew anything about the Geometry editor before now, looks very interesting/promising.  :)  Thank you very much!  :) 

Jonstark said:

ProPose said:

Wow, excellent ProPose, that came through just fine, I was able to unzip and view/read.  Looks excellently explained and that I'll be able to follow step-by-step.  Like I said, I don't actually have the right version of Studio for this, but I'll give it a try later today using what I do have and see what happens, and what I can do to correct.  I never knew anything about the Geometry editor before now, looks very interesting/promising.  :)  Thank you very much!  :) 

You're welcome!!  This method also works with Veronika for G8F by Misty, with some slight modification.  NOT with her G8.1F preset cause I can't seem to get G8.1F into DS4.10.  The Figure loads ok but none of the morph dials show up.

Just getting my first chance to tinker/play to see if I can emulate.  In Studio 4.12, looks like the option to 'Merge Fitted Figures Geometry' doesn't exist or maybe it's been moved to a different location.  In fact the 'Geometry Editing' option seems not to appear in the list of options when I right click within the Geometry Editor mode at all, which is certainly odd to have a Geometry Editor mode but not option to actually do any Geometry Editing, lol :)   My laptop running Studio 4.8 the option to merge the fitted figure exists, however when I click to merge the figures, Studio encounters a fatal error and closes itself.  :(  That said, when I also convert not just the ladyparts to blended weight but also convert the Genesis to blended weight, there is no crash and I can Merge the fitted parts to the main figure without problem.  

I should have created a whole new duplicate Genesis along with duplicate folders for data for the duplicate figure (as you advised right at the outset), but I was being lazy because I don't use my laptop seriously anyway, so I didn't.  I thought it wouldn't matter unless I saved the Genesis, because everything was temporary anyway.  But stupidly I did end up saving the Genesis as a figure (for some reason my mind wasn't connecting the fact that saving it as a support asset would change all my Genesis info loading from everywhere, lol).   So I ended up borking my whole library on that computer of Genesis1 stuff (I was trying this with Genesis1, as that's my main figure). 

It doesn't matter, it's all old stuff I don't use anymore and it should be simple enough to delete all the folders etc and re install my Genesis1 stuff from scratch, if a little time consuming, but no big deal.  Fair warning to anyone else who tries though that it's really important to understand that saving your figure at any time makes permanent changes to that figure's data for everything else that applies to that figure.

That said, although I ended up making a permanent figure change I didn't intend to, the procedure did indeed seem to work.  :)   Very interesting method, which might very well have uses for other geografted body parts too, more playing and tinkering will be required to find out :)  Thank you very much ProPose, excellent tutorial.  Hopefully maybe it could be put up on the CarraraCafe where the restrictions aren't so ironclad (after all it's not like any of the pics were explicit, all was in gray and untextured).  I think this method would be very useful for a lot of Carrarists.

I should have mentioned that I do use a different computer for the figure creation, one that is not used for anything else.  It's an older laptop Win 7, 32 bit, yes they still exist.  All I have on it (other that the OS) is DS4.10 and Carrara 8.5 and IM and CMS that's it.  On that computer "Reset Database" is my friend which I use after each character conversion.  I like to start with a clean slate each time.  A really great product, Deepsea Adam and Eve covers Genesis to Genesis 8,  and I've converted Genesis 1 Female and G2F to "Real" versions to work in Carrara.  Once I have a figure I'm satisfied with,  I save it out as a .car file to use on my other machines.  I also save out from Daz Studio, an fbx file to use in 3Dxchange, that I can use to import and export all my iClone animations to use in Carrara.

Another very useful product is 3DU's Pose Architect.  Not all the pose controls work with the newly created figure, but in Daz Studio I can save out a pose control dial as an animated pose which I then convert on an Animated Clip in Carrara which is then saved to my Clip Library.  Quite tedious, but it only needs to be done once for each figure. Same goes for aniBlocks designed for a specific generation.  They all get saved as clips, then when I make a new character of a particular generation,  the clips will work on them.  But I'm rambling....thanks for your input and encouragement.

I had never heard of 'Reset Database' before, searched it out and found it as a clickable button that apparently executes a clear of the entire database at once, for anyone curious you find it by going to the smart content tab, then clicking on the little icon right up in the corner, selecting ';Content DB Maintenance' and then the 'Reset Database' is one of the options.

Sounds like you have a much more productive use of your laptop than I do; all I have are files leftover before I got my current server workstation.  But I really like your idea, and that's what I should do with mine too.  Don't need anything but Carrara 8.5 and Studio.  I've never used IM or CMS before (always just manually installed) but maybe if I clear out that laptop and dedicate it to that purpose, I could just install those and let everything re-install itself wherever IM wants to put it.  I'm thinking with the amount of content I've bought though, it's going to be like days to download and reinstall everything :)

The reason for using IM and CMS is that for some reason Carrara can't find some of the content unless its been installed by IM and or processed through the CMS.  I could be totally wrong about that tho.  Sometimes I've installed (Manually) and try to load it in Carrara the figure loads but there is nothing in the parameters tab.  I send it through cms via daz studio and the next time I load the item, the parameter tab is populated.