R'ingTFM time lol

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
edited January 2015 in Carrara Discussion

the C7 manual, over 800 pages. not reading in order. :) starting with the cameras and lights sections.

there be some stuff here is exciting and
there be some stuff in here i don't understand the significance.

this camera thingee sounds exciting, the camera modifier 'point at' gives axis options?
what would be a scene circumstance to use this?

and point at doesn't mean the camera is going to move along with the object
only thing i can think of is to parent the pointed camera and pointee obj to like a null prop.
theoretically, then a camera could follow a fighter into it's deathstar attack run and be a smooth ride for the audience

Thanks!!
looking for more excitement in the manual :lol:

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/carrara7_user_guide.pdf

ca-pointataxis.JPG
390 x 674 - 42K
Post edited by Mistara on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

yeah parent it to the figure or prop and it will follow it
    look at is probably not needed as it will keep the view of the prop you set it at if you do not move the camera along timeline only prop

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

some useful camera stuff here :)

like how to save camera position.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

... theoretically, then a camera could follow a fighter into it's deathstar attack run and be a smooth ride for the audience ...

Yes, I've used that setup a few times for a moving vehicle passing close by the camera. Here is a 1 minute animation that has that setup at the end, ~ 0:52:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxcbh71VUlg

edited December 1969

:lol:

particle life :lol: die on imact

ca-particleLife.JPG
    403 x 289 - 23K
    edited December 1969

yes a particle's life is fleeting :vampire:
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

It can speed up the calculations quite a bit.

The X, Y, Z Axis in the Point At modifier, will effect the orientation of how the camera "points" at an object. You could use one of those and have the camera face away from the object it is pointing at, and still have it "follow" the movement it is pointing at. Not much use for a camera, but the Point At modifier is available as a modifier to all objects, not just cameras.

edited December 1969

ahzo, there's a terrain editor, starting with a like a raw terrain.

i thought i had only the terrain presets to use.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2015

ahzo, there's a terrain editor, starting with a like a raw terrain.

i thought i had only the terrain presets to use.

And you can replicate trees, plants, buildings, etc. where you want on the terrain. Here are some helpful related resources.

Dartanbeck has a forum thread on terrain modeling. See http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37867/
    Cripeman tutorials on terrains
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UVBRXnHOZA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ236C6vu-g
    Cripeman tutorial on replicators
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXthnav9rUc
    Tutorial created by: Johannes Rosenberg (Cajomi) A master at lanscape creation (downloads as pdf)
    EDIT: Link removed because seems out of date
    Thread on Landscapes in Carrara
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28368/
    Thread on using Carrara terrains and replicators to create oceans
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28506/
    Thread on replicators methods, tips, and tricks
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38177/

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 1969

Oh Misty, wait until you discover bullet physics, life will never be the same :kiss:

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited January 2015

diomede64 said:
    Tutorial created by: Johannes Rosenberg (Cajomi) A master at lanscape creation (downloads as pdf)
    http://www.polyloop.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24975.

Any idea where on that site this is? It sounds interesting but the whole page is in French. which Chrome seems to translate pretty well but all I see is ZBrush stuff.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    diomede64 said:
    http://www.polyloop.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=24975.

Any idea where on that site this is? It sounds interesting but the whole page is in French. which Chrome seems to translate pretty well but all I see is ZBrush stuff.

Sorry, I just copied the list of resources from a posting from about a year ago. Maybe they took it down. Too bad. It was an excellent tutorial in pdf form.

I will delete the link in an edit. Maybe someone else has a second source for it.

• rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

rk66 said:

Thank you very much.

edited December 1969

Thanks!! :)

further along in the manual looking for the wind. was expecting like the wind icon in poser,

looks like this is the wind dynamics carrara style :) (pg 714)

ca-windforce.jpg
    709 x 316 - 29K
    edited December 1969

Oh Misty, wait until you discover bullet physics, life will never be the same :kiss:

yeah, i'm excited about it :)

haven't read the chapter yet

edited December 1969

yeah, i'm excited about it :)

haven't read the chapter yet

The plant editor has a wind function as well.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

and point at doesn't mean the camera is going to move along with the object
    only thing i can think of is to parent the pointed camera and pointee obj to like a null prop.

You can use the "track" modifier. The camera then moves with the object it tracks. It is recommended to use a target helper parented to the object. All you have to do next is make sure that the camera's hot point is the same as the object's hot point. And there you are, tracking everything your heart wishes for.

edited December 1969

the hot points seem pivotal :lol:

been reading over 6 hours. saving motion paths for tomorrow. still haz the eyedrops tutt to watch. hoping it covers the uvmapping.

jumped to render settings chapter.
    a couple xtra interesting bits jumped from the pages

ca-gi.jpg
    770 x 249 - 59K
    ca-radiancemaps.jpg
    766 x 182 - 37K
    edited December 1969

the hot points seem pivotal :lol:

been reading over 6 hours. saving motion paths for tomorrow. still haz the eyedrops tutt to watch. hoping it covers the uvmapping.

jumped to render settings chapter.
    a couple xtra interesting bits jumped from the pages

You can also render a (reasonably) low resolution version of your image and save the irradiance map, then use that same map for the full resolution image. There are limits as to how low you can go before artifacts start occurring because of that, but I'm not sure of the limits.

The other fun thing about the maps, is that you can render a static map, and the animate a fly through of the scene. As long as the lighting (and shadows) don't change, such as from an animated character or object, it will look good. If you add an animated object, you will get artifacts as this video demonstrates:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLHnOrEyz3Y

edited December 1969

Displacement Painting Tool?

sounds kewl :)

ca-displacement_painting_tool.jpg
    585 x 336 - 33K
    edited December 1969

Displacement Painting Tool?

sounds kewl :)

Comes in handy for many things.

I used it to add detail to the rock outcrops in this picture.

Dells_medium_cam_6.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 2M
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

That's pretty awesome Evil, I always wondered how that was done to get so much excellent and believable erosion/rock detail. Man Carrara is just filled with awesome stuff, I only just very recently realized what 3d painting was and why it was useful (very useful, now that I know!) courtesy of Philw's tut's but I still wouldn't have put it together with the uses of displacement painting without seeing some examples, already my head is swimming with all the possibilities...

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    That's pretty awesome Evil, I always wondered how that was done to get so much excellent and believable erosion/rock detail. Man Carrara is just filled with awesome stuff, I only just very recently realized what 3d painting was and why it was useful (very useful, now that I know!) courtesy of Philw's tut's but I still wouldn't have put it together with the uses of displacement painting without seeing some examples, already my head is swimming with all the possibilities...

The rock outcrops are vertex objects that I used displacement painting on, in the VM. I then embedded them in a terrain.

complete_terrain.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 425K
    terrain_pieces.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    edited January 2015

kewl river terrain!!

i was thinking to try it for some space battle damage.

just finished watching the eyedrop bottle tutt. saw the gordon thingee in action. :)

left a giant n-gon on the bottle's bottom though. guessing a tesselation operation could conveniently fix it?

i haven't found a search for isolated verts. got in the habit of checking playing in wings

bevel = fillet.
    shiny = specular

saw the bridge cmd in action in the cups tutorial. in wings, bridge can also create a tunnel, like a doorway through a thick wall.

hoping the snow storm doesn't knock out electricity before i can get some practice

Post edited by Mistara on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:

The rock outcrops are vertex objects that I used displacement painting on, in the VM. I then embedded them in a terrain.

Did you also use 3dpaint to paint the rock colors on top of the green grass color of the vertex objects? I hadn't seen them without the trees on them before, so my first unobstructed view, and Immediately I thought maybe that was a combo of both the color and displacement (meaning on the tops of them), but of course there's a multitude of ways it could be done, just wondered if I was right?

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Jonstark said:

Did you also use 3dpaint to paint the rock colors on top of the green grass color of the vertex objects? I hadn't seen them without the trees on them before, so my first unobstructed view, and Immediately I thought maybe that was a combo of both the color and displacement (meaning on the tops of them), but of course there's a multitude of ways it could be done, just wondered if I was right?

The displacement was done in the VM using the displacement painting tool. Hint: use subdivision for best results. The amount depends on the level of detail inherent in the model. Mine are low poly, so I used a couple levels.

The pattern (leaf litter) you noticed at the top is indeed a result of 3D painting. I actually painted a black and white map and used that as a distribution map in a terrain shader layer. I then made that layer a Multi-channel shader and used a tileable image map of leaves in the Color, Bump and Highlight.

The green grass is not part of the leaf litter layer, but the main layer, and the placement of its tiling image map is driven by slope and altitude.

I'll post a filtered view of the shader tree.

Picture_4.png
    295 x 744 - 85K
    island.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 772K
    edited December 1969

ahaa thats how you do it!

caplocks to unlock the hotpoint :)

ca-capslockhotpoint.jpg
    739 x 348 - 45K
    edited December 1969

But remember to turn it off when done! Gets me every time I set up a surface replicator and want to move some hotpoints to the bottom of the object. I forget capslock is on and then mess something up.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    But remember to turn it off when done! Gets me every time I set up a surface replicator and want to move some hotpoints to the bottom of the object. I forget capslock is on and then mess something up.

good safety tip. needs a memory gimmik. when moving a hp, think capstain's log for capsunlock :)

edited December 1969

oscar mike gulf! really! how many times i suffered cuz i couldn't see the handles under a pile of props

nudge with the keyb arrows? :lol:

double_facepalm.jpg
    635 x 496 - 52K
    ca-nudging_with_keyb.jpg
    747 x 222 - 38K