Microsoft Hololens and Daz3d

DarkUrComicsDarkUrComics Posts: 3
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Since I am convinced that this will be a major game changer and will affect us 3D-heads strongly,
I suggest to the Devs at Daz3D to get in touch with Microsoft asap. The whole thing is mind boggling
concerning how much 3D stuff is around. Studio stuff (.dufs etc.) must be made compatible / be turnable into
holograms !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d54aGJFxSEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6sL_5Wgvrg

What does the community / do the devs think ?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

wooow dude...awesome

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898
    edited December 1969

Interesting but like anything new it will take time to develop and grow.

I would dislike having to wear that headset to be honest.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

palek said:
    Studio stuff (.dufs etc.) must be made compatible / be turnable into holograms !

Wrong way round — what will be needed (I think) is either a Hololens-compliant version of the DAZ|Studio program itself, or a Hololens plugin. The DAZ content already exists in the 3D space of the Viewport, what's needed is to add to the existing D|S output so it can feed video signals to the Hololens as well as a conventional monitor. Assuming that's even possible...

That said, however, I'm impressed. There are a few gotchas, though. Frame rate must be high enough to maintain the 3D effect, or else a lot of users will need sick bags attached to their goggles. And not everyone will be able to see or use the 3D effect. I can't use any of the current 3D TV systems; they don't give me nausea or headaches, I just don't see the 3D. I can see it just fine in a stereoscope, though; will that be enough? Won't know until I try it.

Also, listen again to that presentation — the Hololens system is expected to go public "in the Windows 10 timeframe", meaning "probably before Win11 is put out for beta testing". This isn't going to happen this year, maybe not next year either. And it's likely to be a bit out of my budget anyway.

• DarkUrComicsDarkUrComics Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Interesting thoughts. I see You already thought much deeper into the matter than I have. Good points.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,038
    edited December 1969

I can already do it on my android actually
    I had an app that projected a 3D model on a paper square with an icon you print and view through your camera, as you move around it is sitting there solid on your coffee table or whatever.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,220
    edited December 1969

LOL....anyone notice the 3D puppy at 1:57 into the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d54aGJFxSEo

Yeah, I know that headset is very immersive, but it's akin to the betamax in terms of where they are and while I think some will get it, your average consumer will wait for something a little more streamlined.

Things...they are a changing for sure, though.

• nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,144
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind the computing power necessary for all that, too. Not everyone is going to be able to afford the upgrade to hardware capable of supporting the Hologram system. Hell, I'm still trying to get together the money to upgrade to a quad core processor!

• rshellmanrshellman Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Agree as far as the resources needed. In one of the videos he points out the new Alienware hardware that his friends lent him for the demo... The first generation of anything is quickly replaced, but establishes expectations for the things that replace it. Definitely worth watching.